OFFROADSUBARUS.com

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.com > Technical Forums > Mods, Insurance, Local Compliance & you

Notices

User Tag List

Old 12th March 2015, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Year: MY06, MY10
Model: Forester SG & SH
Transmission: 5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Ratbag is on a distinguished road

^ I can't ...

But there is a further wrinkle.

The SG (for example) has an OEM suspension height that is given as a range of +12 to -24 mms from a nominal height ...

Maximum legal tyre size is also constrained.

Then there are whatever restraints your comprehensive insurer dictates.

If your vehicle fails to comply with the ADRs and VSBs, you also risk voiding your statutory third party personal injury insurance. The claimant could be your wife, girlfriend or best mate who is in the car with you.

Worth thinking about!
Old 12th March 2015, 07:25 PM

Year: 2010
Model: Forester 2.0D Premium
Transmission: 6 MT
Robbks is on a distinguished road

With the car sitting on the ground (or jack it up from the hub and remove the wheel)
Measure the distance between the Bump stop and the suspension arm
that is you standard amount of "bump travel"

Next, jack the car up from the body and measure that distance.
This is your "Total Travel"
Subtract the "Bump Travel" from the "Total Travel" and you have your "Droop" distance

So you now know all three possible parameters applicable to Lowering and Raising.
Old 24th March 2015, 05:23 PM

Year: 2009
Model: Outback
Transmission: Auto
clearwater99 is on a distinguished road

I currently have Goodyear Effecient Grip 225 65 17 tires on my series 4

What I intend to do is up size the overall diameter of the tires next time I get a new set. However to keep my car within the legal limits here in Queensland Australia I did a bit of reading at my local government road authority.

So according to my understanding this is what I can do legally would I be correct? Looking at the chart below getting 235's will keep me with in spec by 2mm.

All that being said I still have 50mm to play with suspension lift, acording to this aswell.
The following information provides some general guidance about raising a vehicle’s height
A vehicle lift up to and including 75mm combining both suspension lift and tyre diameter increase (maximum suspension
lift 50mm, maximum tyre diameter increase 50mm) is acceptable under self certification.

which contradicts the maximum tyre diameter bit .. oh man so so confusing .. http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/Sa...ifications.pdf

Any theories? Especially if you come from QLD.
Old 25th March 2015, 08:47 AM

Year: 2002
Model: Forester SG
Transmission: 1.447 low range 4.44 diffs
havachat is on a distinguished road

Move south to Victoria the rules are easier to understand !
Old 14th March 2017, 03:33 AM

Year: 2007
Model: Forester XT
SebNa is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys

I've tried to read through the whole topic and correct me if my understanding below is wrong

The only "legal" option in Victoria for Forester with standard tires 215/55/17 is:
1. Get 1 inch lift kit - 25.4mm
2. Change to 215/65/16 wheels - diameter increase of 14.2mm
This will give an overall increase of ca. 32mm

The 2 inches lift is not allowed due to exceeding 50mm?
Any other wheel and tire configurations which does not exceed 15mm difference?
Old 14th March 2017, 07:34 AM

Year: 2006
Model: SG Forester XS
Transmission: 1.447 Low SG Manual
Red XS is on a distinguished road

There are lift options in-between 1 and 2 inch lifts. A few places sell 40mm forester lifts and some places will custom make any sized lift you wish.

215/65/16 are 18mm larger diameter according to the tyre calculator I used.
http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp
Old 14th March 2017, 09:42 AM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

About time we updated this thread lol...

In every state you're allowed a 50mm lift, that's part of the federal ADRs.

In Victoria you're allowed a 2" lift plus a 1" tyre lift for all vehicles rated as a 4wd. Foresters qualify, unfortunately Outbacks, Imprezas, etc don't.

In NSW it's 3" lift total made up of any combination of suspension & tyre lift with a maximum of 1" tyre lift.

In Qld, it's 50mm lift plus maximum 15mm increase in tyre diameter (although this is debated)

In WA, it's 50mm lift & I'm not sure of the tyre regs.

Sebna, I would suggest going to 16" wheels anyway. The taller sidewall allows the tyres to bag out more when aired down so you get much more grip. Plenty of people are running 215/70/16 tyres, it's probably the most popular size for a SF or SG Forester. It's just something that you will have to decide what size to go.

I can also help with the lift kit. I'm the owner of SubieLiftOz. I can do 1", 1.5", 2", 2.5" & other custom lifts including a 4.5" Monster Body lift kit!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160620_181039 Coober Pedy Sunset-2-1.jpg (87.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 31st October 2017, 08:20 PM

Year: 2010
Model: Forester
Beachworm is on a distinguished road
Default official info from Qld

I wanted to be certain about tyre sizes and lifts so I submitted an inquiry to Queensland Transport as the regulations are a little bit ambiguous and the term 'soft roader' is not defined. I asked if my 2010 Forester could have larger diameter tyres fitted and this is the verbatim answer; "If your vehicle is classified under the Australian Design Rules as a MC category vehicle, it may have a 50mm increase in overall tyre diameter. If it is classified as a MA category vehicle, it may have only a 15mm increase. To verify the classification, locate the identification/compliance plate on the vehicle. If the category cannot be found on the compliance/identification plate the approval number on the plate may be entered in the R.V.D search on the Road Vehicle Certification System web site to find the category." I checked the compliance plate and it is indeed classified as MC. This means it is legal in Qld to lift a total of 75mm, 50mm body or suspension lift and 25mm using larger tyres. This is regarded as a minor modification and does not require engineering certification. The problem is that there isn't enough room, even after a lift to fit significantly larger tyres!!
Old 31st October 2017, 09:13 PM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachworm View Post
"If your vehicle is classified under the Australian Design Rules as a MC category vehicle, it may have a 50mm increase in overall tyre diameter. If it is classified as a MA category vehicle, it may have only a 15mm increase.
Good work!!

Quote:
The problem is that there isn't enough room, even after a lift to fit significantly larger tyres!!
Sure is enough room, you can fit 225/70/16 on a SH no problem, that's 28.4", almost 2" bigger than stock. 215/70/16 is the most popular size to fit.

These are with 225/70/16:

Old 31st October 2017, 10:07 PM

Year: 1999
Model: Forester
Transmission: Manual 5sp
timbercomp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachaLuva View Post
About time we updated this thread lol...

In every state you're allowed a 50mm lift, that's part of the federal ADRs.

In Victoria you're allowed a 2" lift plus a 1" tyre lift for all vehicles rated as a 4wd. Foresters qualify, unfortunately Outbacks, Imprezas, etc don't.

In NSW it's 3" lift total made up of any combination of suspension & tyre lift with a maximum of 1" tyre lift.

In Qld, it's 50mm lift plus maximum 15mm increase in tyre diameter (although this is debated)

In WA, it's 50mm lift & I'm not sure of the tyre regs.

Sebna, I would suggest going to 16" wheels anyway. The taller sidewall allows the tyres to bag out more when aired down so you get much more grip. Plenty of people are running 215/70/16 tyres, it's probably the most popular size for a SF or SG Forester. It's just something that you will have to decide what size to go.

I can also help with the lift kit. I'm the owner of SubieLiftOz. I can do 1", 1.5", 2", 2.5" & other custom lifts including a 4.5" Monster Body lift kit!!
This is excellent to know!
Since I'm an exotic combination of lazy and useless, do you have any info at hand on Tas and ACT?

Tags
adr, australian design rules, maximum lift, modifications, tyre sizes, wheel diameter