Anywhere good to go in WA

dmf-explorer

Forum Member
Hi I'm new to the site and I was just wondering is there anywhere good to go in WA?
Hard or easy I really don't mind!!
Cheers:iconwink:

G'day dmf-explorer.

Good as in things to see or offroading experience? I know there's some good stuff along the Nullabour. Caves are good from Augusta up to Margret River, I'd skip big cave I think it was called...

The boys over on ausubi will be able to show you some stuff. I know that Mandaring power line track is a good one and very popular as well. I can't wait to get back over there!

Cheers

Bennie

Mundaring Power lines is a good few hours, depending on your skills and your ability to take a hit or two or avoid em. It gets pretty chewed out at times so line choice is the key there.

Lancelin is a good beach/dune drive.. Prob the WA version of Stockton Newcastle. Just watch out for all the dickhead crusty demons wannabes wanting to gap your bonnet and roost you and stuff. Dooshbags galore. Make sure you take a scoot on the beach. Head south. Take a mate and two shovels. I've jumped out for a pee and seen my Foz sink a few inches by the time I got back. But it is fun to drift round a wide bach turn past a Rodeo, a Jeep and another Jeep bogged to the axles wondering how the hell they are getting out.

There's also the old Sand Mines north of the city on the edge of the Pines. Most of it is fenced but you can find ways in. Its all sand tracks and the actuall mie has some pretty sweet dunes to play around with. A good place to go with a mate an dget stuck. Recovery is easy and you are close to home if it goes pear shape. When you get out on the tracks again beware of crusty demons wannabes.

Hope that helps. Hook up with Cluster Fock in this site. I have driven all those places with him and he knows whats what. Loves slappin his Foz around a little too. I'm now on the East coast.

Cheers SKT great insight into some good WA places.

I can't agree more about the Crusty D**ks!! They would make a great feature on the front of the Troopies Roo Bar!!

Head up to the Kimberleys and do the Gibb River Road. Start it 40km west of Fitzroy Crossing and head up the connecting road past Tunnel Creek and the Windjana Gorge and exit 50km west of Kununurra. Don't miss staying a couple of days at El Questro and make sure you get into Bell Gorge and Emma Gorge (do the climb to the pool and falls at the top). And don't think of taking the Forester up to Kalumbaru and the Mitchell Plateau - it's for serious high clearance off-roaders.

Does anyone know how a stock height Forester would go in
1) Francios Peron National Park?
2) Karijini?

Francois Peron is mainly sand. As long as it isn't chewed up, it's OK. Check with the ranger at the old station (and have a dip in the Artesian water spa).

You could get around most of Karajini in a Mini. Mainly well-groomed dirt roads for the tourists. They frown on anyone getting off the roadways.

For other trips:

"4WD Days out of Perth" and "4WD Weekends out of Perth" are a couple of publications you can pick up in most newsagencies or camping stores. Most of the trips can be done in a Forester (there are alternative routes shown for anything the Forester couldn't handle).

Also, Stockyard Gully Cave, off Beekeepers Rd, north of Cervantes.
Anywhere in the Goldfields (try the back road from Menzies to Laverton, and stay the night at the Grand Hotel in Kookynie).
Holland Track, near Hyden.

i'm interested in looking at the Mundaring Power line track.

I have a bog standard MY06 forester. there's been no adjustment to suspension height, and it's an auto. yes, i have a manual lisence, but it's been 6 yrs since i drove manual (my lessons were the last time i think! lol). I also have no roo bar or tow bar on it. as i mentioned, pretty standard.
Also, what type of things- other than the spare tyre and the wheel brace, should i carry on board to keep me out of a pickle.

Also, are there any other "beginners" tracks about? I live in the Perth Hills area....

Mundaring Powerlines is a good place to start. It can be a little rough on a stock Forester, but certainly do able. Even more so with decent rubber. There's loads of chicken tracks to help you out.

Also Willbinga, which is just north of Wannaroo. Lots of good winding sandtracks that make their way to the beach. Google it, there's loads of info online for Wilbinga.

Gnagara Pine Plantation is another good spot. It's kind of fenced off but if you look around you'll find a giant pine plantation which you can get to. Loads of guys go in there to ride bikes. Some nice boggy sand tracks through the trees. Good spot to practice using a hand winch too if you have one. Loads of anchor points (ie trees).

Lancelin is great for sand. Loads of sand dunes, but as SKT said, watch out for the numpty dirtbikers. The beach at Lancelin is accessible easily but be careful if you're new to sand dune driving. I rolled my Forester on its side last year when I was wheeling with my girlfriend. Didn't concentrate going down a dune and suffered for it. Well, I just pushed it back over but still...

If you want to make a trip out of it then head down to Margaret River or Pemberton. Margs has a few tracks around the place, mainly heading to surf breaks. Pemberton has loads of light tracks (great for drifting :discomonkey: ) and you can get onto the Yeagerup sand dunes. A word of warning. I stripped an almost brand new clutch trying to get my car across Yeagerup dunes. Sometimes it's easy, but when I got there the wind had blown the sand dunes around meaning you had no chance of getting a run up to get over the big dunes. You have been warned ;)

There is also the Harvey Mud Run. A long muddy power lines type track running through the town of Harvey (near collie). I wouldn't really consider trying this in a Forester...that would include even the very capable Foresters that have been built by users here. That place can be VERY gnarly. It's doable, but I've seen some very capable Land Rovers being consumed by that track :rotfl:

Anyhoo, let me know if you want more advice. I've done my far share of exploring around Perth and done LOADS of trips around WA. Feel free to pick my brain. I don't offroad my Subaru anymore, upgraded to a Land Rover and a Hilux Surf, but I'm still into it all.

Also, what type of things- other than the spare tyre and the wheel brace, should i carry on board to keep me out of a pickle.

Go buy a few D-Shackles and a snatch strap and/or tow rope. If you get stuck, people will be more inclined to pull you out if they don't have to use/damage their own gear. I personally wont pull someone out of a serious bog unless they buy my snatch strap off me. Learnt the hard way from being too generous.
A shovel helps too. Go to supercheap auto and buy a dozen el-cheapo rubber floor mats. Good for sticking under your tyres when you get a little stuck.

Last edited:
hi there, thanks for the info! i went out to Mundaring to check out the Power Line track- and i took a friend just in case. I managed about 1km of the track before the light started to fade fast.
The section we drove through was great, i managed really easily- which surprised me.
She has a sump guard on her thankfully, so i wont have to shel out for one on a students income, lol.
i'm going to check out the net for info on Willbinga as you suggested.
thanks again. i took a couple of pics, but the quality isnt great as it was all misty and rainy yesterday. i'll post them up tho :)

Attachments

• P9071717.jpg
    P9071717.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 15
  • P9071718.jpg
    P9071718.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
no, i started somewhere in the middle- found it off an unmade road when my friend and i were looking for some mud and puddles.... found the puddles, not so much mud though. Then we came across the track by accident and decided to make the change and try it out.

If it's mud you're after there is a mud pit near the Thomas rd/Kwinana freeway intersection near a strawberry farm. I think it's called 60 acres or something
Haven't been there in years

If it's mud you're after there is a mud pit near the Thomas rd/Kwinana freeway intersection near a strawberry farm. I think it's called 60 acres or something
Haven't been there in years

DO NOT DRIVE YOUR CAR IN THERE.....

Seriously... the place is full of busted car bits and heaps and heaps of oil has been dumped there. The mud is so black and so nasty. The one time I went I was washing mud out of places for atleast 6 months. It was up in the door jams... everywhere under thebonnet.... I honestly thought the mud had stained my paint........ It just wasnt worth it. Mind you I was bein a bit of a clown....

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pkblbPfPXI"]YouTube- 90 Acres 2[/ame]

Up north above Geraldton there is a place called Lucky Bay(about an hours drive away), there is over 25km of beach to drive on and loads of dunes. It is a great place to camp and go offroad.

Back