Kevin

Administrator
Car Year
MY'03
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
A/T
Lately I've noticed a lot of general discussion, unrelated to the member's journal vehicle, occurring in Members' Journals. A reminder the Members Journals are to "Create your own thread showing off your mods and adventures" so if it's not about the vehicle that is the subject of the journal then it is off-topic and may be moved.

Please try and keep other discussions in the appropriate area - thanks.

I'm probably the prinicple culprit.

Spent many years as an admin of an 'off-topic' forum, so I'm really used to topics going all sorts of places.

Plus I love a natter.

Apologies.

ohh ok then where you can talk about your car mods or stuff that you did , if you showing some stuff that you might wanna do or did to your car, then you want to talk about it too with people ? so you cant talk ? ok i guess im just typing too much in general here everywhere so not everyone happy of that.
i was just understanding words "Members Journal" is like my diary about car i can write anything that is for my car or about it or about ideas and stuff. that's how i understood at least. i dont see any other place that i could talk about my car as whole car and about stuff that is for my car.

It's really not a big deal and you can write whatever you like about your car in your own journal but it's much easier to search for discussions and advice re potential mods if they are located in the other appropriate sections, like transmission, suspension, tire and wheels etc. Thanks.

Fair enough. So mods you have done go in your journal and mods you are thinking about or are in the processe of doing should go in the the other forums?

Is it OK to natter in your own journal or should that be confined to the Off-Topic forum? - I think that if it's the latter, people lose the flow of the conversation. Having been involved in an off-topic forum we tried to keep the flow going, very rarely taking action unless people got too offensive (we didn't mind the odd barney as long as people followed the "rules of rational debate"). That was (and still is, although I hardly ever go there) a very different forum to this. :)

Last edited:
In simple terms the journal is like a diary so contains things you have done to or with your car. When seeking advice, opinions or help etc then the thread should go in the appropriate section be it technical, trip reports or off-topic for example.

If you want to natter in your own journal so be it but just be aware that others will probably lose interest if your "build" journal is clogged up with non-build "natter" ;-)

Anything that is not about cars in general should go into the off-topic section.

As per some of the forum rules:

2. Post new threads in the correct forum category; each category on the main forum index page includes a brief description of what belongs there. Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved to facilitate searching/retrieval of that information.

3. Whenever possible, post a reply to an existing thread vs. starting a new one. Like threads may be merged without notice.

5. Assign a meaningful title when posting a new thread so that the subject is obvious. No language-filtered profanity or special characters in thread titles, please.

7. Please stay on topic and do not “hijack” threads. The subject of a thread is determined by the original poster. Interrupting/derailing a discussion with off-topic remarks is rude and makes it difficult to find posts that are pertinent to the thread topic. Hijack posts may be removed.

Ok, Kevin !

So could you move the discussion in my members journal about retrofitting a VDC in an older Subaru to the transmission and driveline section please ?

well fair enough.

Back