Forum Member
Car Year
n/a
Car Model
Toyota Tacoma
Transmission
n/a
Hello,

Came across this forum while doing some searching on my new Subaru project. Don't have one currently but in process of getting "educated" to buy my first one.

My goal is to lift it and also gain some good Hp out of it.

Questions:

Are there any specific models/years that are easier than others to lift into the 3-4" range and still handle good? Most of the searching that I have done seem to indicate that mac struts all the way around is easier and that the multilink is a bit less forgiving. Not 100% sure though...

I'd LOVE to do a JDM engine swap on this as well for the higher Hp. With the above lift setup that I'd like to do, can the swap also be done on said car?

With these two mods, how would that affect that car as far as durability? How would it hold up if I take it out into the desert and open it up? :)

I'm still a soob, errr, I mean noob but learning new things about the Subaru world every day. Was initially wanting to go the Baja route but a little thrown off by the multilink rear.

Thanks for the great forum!
Dan

Wow! Very nice work done here!

Definitely gives some food for thought and helps tremendously.

Really appreciate the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
So after quite a bit of research, here's what I plan to do going forward, mostly for reference in case anyone else is interested.

Planing to go with the HotBits DT1 suspension (+100mm per recommendation from ADF)

For the car, going to try and look for a Forester XT that already has a good 5-speed tranny to handle the ej207 swap.

Will hopefully send some updates and photos once the project has started.

Can't wait! :)

Nice read! Thanks for the info!

None of the spacer lifts did anything for me until I saw the HotBits, then my eyes got big :)

I'll be referring back to the HB writeup for sure when I get those in my hands!

If you want to do any rock crawling and/or soft sand driving you'll be better off with an auto.

I'm a little concerned though about a high HP engine and an auto. Any suggestions on an auto that would handle the motor?

You want to go from a torque rich 2.5 to a 2 litre and go off road without a dual range gearbox? Are you sure you are heading down the right development path?

Interesting.... Well, I'm still learning here :)

The higher torque 2.5 sounds like the better path so there is a bit more research that I need to do. Thanks for the bit of info!

What does the dual range gear box do?

Off road torque is king. A dual range gearbox multiplies that torque further. There are some downsides. The 2.5t engine has issues. Weak pistons and weak oil pickup. The dual range gearbox won't cop abuse. I run a 2.5 t and while I still have the weak pistons, I have the earlier model oil pickup which is much better. If you were going to go the expense of converting to another engine, I would suggest getting your existing 2.5t engine re-built with forged psitons. The 2.0t engine might be able to produce good power but it will never have the low down grunt of the 2.5, especially when you run the standard little turbo. The 4 speed auto will handle the 2.5, although those that know this gearbox better than me can tell you which one allows the centre "diff" to be locked. If you go for torque in your build, you will have a far more capable off road vehicle than if you chase power.

This gives me a whole lot more to think about. I would most definitely want a more capable off road vehicle for sure. Might need to go a search for a 2.5t with forged internals. I see the 2.0 with forged readily available but not so much for the 2.5 so far. I do really like the locked diff idea!

Back