Cost effective gps trail mapping

Wilf

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
Auto
I decided to upgrade my Garmin Nuvi to a fully all singing all dancing satnav with all trails pre installed. I eventually bought a VMS 700 unit came from 4wd supacentre and cost $295. From the start my particular unit was a disappointment. 1 week to upload current maps and update from the 2014 ones installed. It was barely readable because of screen quality and no way to improve brightness, contrast etc. It turned itself off for no reason. Amongst other things ! I spoke to 4wdsupacentre and their returns programme was excellent. My money was back in my account the minute I lodged the VMS at the couriers. I cannot speak too highly of 4wdsupacentre.

And then.... On eBay I found off road mapping from AUSSIETRAKS called TRACKS4AUSTRALIA PRO for $57. It comes on an SD/MICROSD card, which slots straight into the back of my Garmin Nuvi. Usage is simple and efficient but you cannot pre-set a journey from start to destination. I am very pleased with the mapping, which is accurate and concise.

I've just used ozi explorer and the geovision maps on my tablet.

For my tracking etc I use Mapfactor on both my Android phone & windows PC.
With Mapfactor I can record as GPX and NMEA, then upload the GPS traces to Open Street Map and then turn them into tracks if not already listed.

It's probably not what you'd want to use to travel off the beaten tracks, but it's great for working out where you've been and sharing your tracks with others.

I really must find my old Ozi Explorer Discs & maps. I'm sure they'd be around somewhere..

Back