OFFROADSUBARUS.com

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.com > Offroad and Touring Central > Trip Reports

Notices

User Tag List

Old 29th October 2017, 08:00 AM

Ben Up North is on a distinguished road
Default Black Mountain Road Kuranda to Julatten

Took Jack for a lttle run today, Up to Kuranda, along Black Mountain road to Julatten, then down the range to Port Doulgas for a coffe with a mate, then back home to the Northern Beaches (of Cairns)
Absolute pearler of a day!
From Kuranda to Quaid Road is very mild used quite a bit by weekenders mostly dirt bikes & quad bikes.
Quaid Road is interesting, It's an ungazetted road tha was built at the end of the Bjelke Petersen Days when development was king and the environment was there to be ripped out and plundered. It goes between SOuthedge on the northern end of the Tablelands down to Wangetti on the Coast. Unfortuantely it's closed at both ends, but Black Mountain road traverses it. so you can get on it and take a leisurly drive west - not sure how far to the gate, but I drove a few K along the road without seeing it before turning around and heading back to finish Black Mountain Road.

Things started getting a bit more interesting from Quaid Road, the road became more track like, rough in bits with a couple of nice little climbs. It would be quite a fun and a little bit of a challenging drive after a bit of rain, Lots of big drains crossing the road to reduce erosion that would fill up nicely with the 'banks' of the drains making it a bit more exciting to get over.
Those drainage channels sure make it slow going though, if you hit one at any sort of speed you'd be cactus.
I've posted a few happy snaps if you're interested here: https://imgur.com/a/Pev3f

Happy days. Next time I go hopefully it will be a bit wetter because I'll have my new tyres by then
Old 29th October 2017, 08:06 AM

A map of the area is here: https://www.npsr.qld.gov.au/parks/ku...ray-np-map.pdf
Old 29th October 2017, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Kevin is on a distinguished road

Good trip! Thanks for the report!
Old 30th October 2017, 09:45 AM

Pretty easy in the dry, a nice afternoon out. only about 150k round trip, took about 4 hours, about an hour on the tarmac. I recorded it on my GPS, but because I dawdled around it's not particularly accurate with regards to a straight through time.
I'll do it proper next time, so I can get an accurate distance of the good bit.

It's actually a pretty neat shortcut to a friend's place up on the Tablelands. Probably wouldn't take too much longer than going around the long way.
Old 12th November 2017, 04:01 AM

temmah is on a distinguished road

Looks like a nice trip.