• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

TorqMaster R160 rear lunchbox locker

frogstar7055

I was here on day 1
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Torq-masters industries here in the states is seriously saying they are about to release an auto-locker (lunchbox locker) for the R160.
Myself and several others have had email contact with them and their saying 6 to 8 weeks away from release.

I've had my hopes up before only to have them dashed but this might actually be happening.

No hints on the interweb that I can see..

If I could post screenshots of the messaging I've done with them I would.
They seem to be serious about it.

You might want to explain what type of locker this is compared to other types of locker.

So lunchbox lockers are 100% lockers? Would be cool to have that for our diffs.

I found just aussie lockers . gues they works just for aussies
Is it so hard to make it smaller to fit subaru diff body?

Must be hard for R160 otherwise Rally would not have gone to the expense and effort to use an R180.

You get what you pay for.

I paid $300 American for the Lokka lunchbox locker in the front of my Xterra and it was worth every penny.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDrXeAtEI24"]Went Windrock trail 15 - YouTube[/ame]

TorqMaster Industries has been making Torq Lockers & Aussie Lockers for many different models for many years.

https://www.torqmasters.com/products/category/automatic_locker/category/torq_lockers

https://www.facebook.com/TorqMasters/

You should be wary of putting a lunchbox locker in a Subaru where the front wheels are driving on sealed roads

The Torq locker is being done for the rear diff, not the front

A while ago there were 10x Detroit lockers (also a lunchbox locker) made for the R160 rear diff. These have since become highly sought after. I know of 3 still being used with no issues. I've also seen first hand how extremely effective they are offroad.

The article I posted the link to makes the claim that lunchbox lockers have a habit of engaging and disengaging unexpectedly and should not be fitted to the rear of a 4X4 because if it engages while the vehicle is being driven on-road it could create handling problems. For this reason, it seems most people fit them to the front diff so this ceases to become an issue as the front drive is not engaged when driving on-road. With Subaru vehicles, this is not the case as the front wheels drive all the time so the front diff going into lock while negotiating a fast sweeping bend on wet bitumen could, the claim is, result in a catastrophic accident as the car would be likely to lose its capacity to steer normally.

If the locker is fitted to the rear of a Subaru, the effect of an unintentional lockup would be similar, but not identical to the effect when fitted to the rear of a 4X4.

I'm no expert, in fact I'm still not sure how a lunchbox locker works. I'm just alerting you to a supposed expert opinion.

I'd really like to try and keep this thread on-topic as per the topic title " TorqMaster R160 rear lunchbox locker" i.e. the locker is not being made for the front diff - thanks.

The point I am making is that the article quoted also expresses reservations about its use in rear diffs due to the tendency to lock and unlock unexpectedly.

There is at least one person using a Detroit locker on a Forester & I haven't heard of any issues. Obviously when it's wet, you would need to show a little more caution than with an open diff

I’m looking forward to this!

Unless you’re driving recklessly the locker will be fine. It unlocks the outside wheel like a ratchet and will lock the axle if the inner wheel looses traction, which means it needs to be overpowered in the first place.

I’m keen to give one a crack. Manual locker would be sweet but finding an R180 in 4.111:1 ratio is proving difficult, plus I don’t have a solution to mate the R180 to the L’s rear driveshafts, or the cash for all of that...

Cheers

Bennie

A lunchbox locker is fine in back. Yes it can have different driving characteristics on road but knowing that you drive accordingly.

I personally hope and pray for this,will buy one the day it's released.

why it would be any different then having that type locker lets say on ZJ jeep that many many ppl have and i saw those videos im not sure car with it is ok to just drive daily on rain snow on roads. it can create dangerous situations.

Back