AndrewT

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
L Series
Transmission
5Speed Manual
Hi all,

Anybody got experience renewing seatbelts? I'd like to put brand new seatbelts in my L series wagon, the existing ones are pretty tatty and the clips are tired, sun damaged.

I haven't called up Subaru yet but I'm tipping genuine would be pretty expensive.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with universal fitment jobbies? Of course they'd need to be proper units, conform to all the appropriate ADR's etc.

cheers.

Details, Andrew?

Auto-retract?
Inertia reel?
Pyrotechnic?
Anything else ...

Interested i this to, my drivers side is starting to fray pretty badly. I planed on calling subaru tomorrow to get a price, rather fix it sooner rather than later if you get my drift. Fctory ones for my old falcon were about $130 each, so id expect something similar, I know repco do ones for holdens/fords maybe for Japanese makes to.

Last edited:
Hah. Try $700+ for genuine, might be a different story if you ordered from US but they might (probably are) be a different belt. They assembled their cars locally didn't they?

Do the L series ones fit inside the pillar?

Last edited:
Called subabits who were helpful as always. For the sf atleast he didn't have any in stock, but let me know there are two different types in the sf, just gotta pull off some trim and see which i have

EDIT: AndrewT might wanna give this place a call https://seatbeltsolutions.com.au/services/rewebbing/ they are in perth

Last edited:
re-webbing is interesting but I'm more interested in replacing the actual buckles etc too - so the whole lot has a nice brand new feeling.
Seems to be pretty cheap to buy complete sets through some Ebay sellers. Obviously concern for quality is a big one here. They do claim to conform to all required Australian ISO standards etc.
What I need to do is have a good look at the exact type currently in the car to work out what is needed.

Perhaps another option would be to look at getting a complete set of seatbelts out of a much much later model Subaru and just transplanting them in. Although there may be too many differences there - I know for instance our 2005 Liberty front seat buckles bolt into the side of the seats themselves, rather than into the floor like they do in the L series.

Found a rewebbing place in melbourne i'll try out when i can have the car off the road for a little while.

Back