• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Nachaluva's Foz

Two years ago I got a heartbreaking call my brother in law had suddenly died from Sudden Arrhythmic Death Syndrome (SADS). He was a strong, healthy, fit man. They found him slumped over the table at work...apparently he was dead before he even hit the table, so at least he didn’t suffer at all.

My sister offered me his car, so I bought it. It was their 3rd Subie but my 1st.

I soon got tired of the poor lights so set out on my 1st mod...a headlight wiring upgrade & upgraded H4 bulbs. I soon ran into problems which is how I came upon AuSubaru while researching the wiring.

After much work & lots of help, esp from Gannon, my 1st mod was finished:
Headlights Wiring Upgrade - ORS

My 1st trip offroad was soon after to picturesque & historic Walhalla:
thompsonrcrossing01.jpg

I discovered my suspension was completely shot, springs sagging & strut bouncing. With help from the forum I decided on raised King springs & new KYB struts. Very happy with the much improved handling & increased clearance, but I wish so much I had got the gen2 rear struts (SG)

I added Whiteline KCA414 Camber bolts which gave me neg camber on the rear but the best I could get the front was neutral.

A SubaXtreme sumpguard was next. I guess it did its job of protecting the sump but I found it very brittle & was soon falling apart
20120115.jpg

A Crossbred guard soon replaced it!

Last edited:
Yeah Robertsons Creek Tr is a very full on track. Bottom section is rocky, top section has huge ruts. Then Bullock Link Tr has that huge boghole, danger of sliding in backwards resulting in a rollover in the water, & then the big rock garden. Both very tough!

Won't be doing either again until I've done some more mods to the SubieLiftOz Foz

Won't be doing either again until I've done some more mods to the SubieLiftOz Foz

So, what mods are you planning?

Watching that video, I was just thinking how similar to the tracks I've been on up here it is, without the really sharp rocks though. some of the stuff I've been on recently has been quite a bit narrower on the hilly bitstoo, so luckliy very few loose/sharp rocks.

Haven't even ventured out in the last couple of weeks, half a metre of rain and more tends to make things a little impossible/impassible!

I'm getting a SH Foz which will be my daily plus I'll be taking it on the Subaru Extreme trip.

Marvin will be getting a makeover into full offroad spec with Hotbits coilovers & offroad gearbox.

Keep in mind, Robertsons Creek Track is a double black diamond, with very steep gradient, loose gravelly surface over clay & extreme ruts. Crebs Tr for comparison is an easy(ish) black diamond. Both impassable when wet.

Hotbits coilovers? Sounds like fun!

What is an "offroad gearbox?"

Keep in mind, Robertsons Creek Track is a double black diamond, with very steep gradient, loose gravelly surface over clay & extreme ruts. Crebs Tr for comparison is an easy(ish) black diamond. Both impassable when wet.

Fair enough. That loose stuff doesn't show much up in the wet tropics area. Which I don't mind at all :cool:

The only Black Diamonds I've been down intentionally have been ski slopes!

I reckon the track I took from Wetherby Station to Black Mountain road (Bump track?) would have been up there (not double black by any stretch though), was certainly steep with lots of lumpy bits. Luckily most of the big ruts were on the flat bits and it was dry enough to go around without any problems. Once it dries out a bit (maybe march?) I'll do it again and video it so that people can give me some idea of what it would rate at.
It was only short though, I don't know if that makes a difference.

Hotbits coilovers? Sounds like fun!

What is an "offroad gearbox?"

I'm guessing super low range.. 1.6 1.16?? (I'm hopeless with ratios still)
And the rest of the gears adjusted to suit.
And the diffs..

But I've really got no idea! :)

Last edited:
Now these ruts I wouldn't attempt at all by myself if that's what you're talking about.. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbNDVovqU4M"]Big Ruts & Clay, Western Tr, Bunyip - YouTube[/ame]

I'd quite happily drive around them if I could though! fortunately the ones I've come across I could, they weren't long. (some of them looked a bit deeper though, more sort of holes in the ground full of water with ruts going in and out at either end. scary stuff!

Been so much done to Marvin since the last post, will have to spend some time posting photos

Please do mate :poke: :lol:

I would love to see some up to date pics of your foz
Im sure many others would agree with me also

1WD

[MENTION=2617]NachaLuva[/MENTION], you have 2,5" and 3,5" lift without body lift and your axles are still good ?

It's a bit of a complicated setup. It's a SF with SG struts, so that affects the height (SG front struts are 1/2" lower than SF; SG rear are 1/2" higher than SF)

Front:
SG struts (-1/2") with SF Kings raised springs (1.5") & 2.5" strut top spacers

Rear:
SG struts (1/2") with SF Kings raised springs (1.5") & 2.5" strut top spacers

Thank you Nachaluva.

Sorry for the digression, but how much stroke do your SG front struts/shafts have ?

They're AUDM SG XT KYB struts, I was told they have [FONT=&quot]164mm stroke length, which is 12mm more than SG NA & SF struts. Personally, I haven't noticed any difference but that's probably due to the very stiff Kings raised springs
[/FONT]

Back