• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

carljwnc's Job BS Thread

FYI, I quit my job too. March 31st was my last day after seven years at the same company (with three different owners). Started a new gig with the US State Department at the embassy here.

Dang!!! I know I saw this, can't believe I didn't acknowledge it, probably thought I'd get back to it later.:rolleyes:

Anyway, Congratulations!!! And I hope the new gig has been working out well for you.:ebiggrin: Does this change your return date to the US???

More fun stuff too... Trade show display stands I got to make.:ebiggrin: One just as I made, the other with the name plate and cosmetic insert.

1310485118796-orig.jpg

No change to our return date, Carl. But we just bought a house in DC last week and I'll be back and forth to set up everything for our return. Really exciting stuff. The cherry on the cake will be picking up a new Forester. I'll likely go for a used MY06 to MY08. Just have to decide whether to get another N/A or step up to an FXT, hopefully with manual transmission.

Wow, that is really minute work :cool:
Not for me though I'm afraid, as I just wouldn't (& don't) have the patience for such detailed work unfortunately :o

Regards
Mr Turbo

Not for me though I'm afraid, as I just wouldn't (& don't) have the patience for such detailed work unfortunately :o

Patience is a big part of it, but just good 'ol experience is even more so. Just a couple of years ago it would have taken me a looooong time to make those parts and I would have scrapped quite a few getting there. Not so bad this time, five hours to make them and I only scrapped one.:)

Nope, I don't get to run it (probably a good thing, being that the guy who is, is ripping his hair out), but I have made a lot of the parts associated with it, and a lot of the other parts in the machine you see in the video. This is on an MT16 CNC thread grinding machine that we recently built at work. Fun stuff.:ebiggrin:

(Click on the image to play the video)

That MT16 CNC thread grinding machine is brilliant :)
I wish I had some fun machines like that to play with at work.

Regards
Mr Turbo

Well, hopefully we're learning from this one, we've got two more to build coming up. We build a lot of the grinding machines without the robot loader, so they go pretty easily. We have only built one or two with the robot before (quite some time ago) so there has been lots of bugs to work out. Six axis' on the robot arm, glad I'm not writing the code.:evil:

Reviewing this 'ol thread...why??? Because, as much as I have loved working at Normac, for the last three or four years the ship has been slowly taking on water. :sad: I finally got to the point where I was going to update my resume, get it out there, and start looking around again. Although I've been keeping my eyes open for quite some time, even had an interview or two, nothing has really come up. I was NOT looking forward to being seriously on the job market again. Then, lo and behold, a friends facebook post pops up in my newsfeed, they need a Machine Operator, timing could not have been better.:ebiggrin: Within three days, two of those being the weekend, I had applied and accepted this new job for a stable, almost fifty year old, established company. :cool: New territory for me, as I will be running CNC machines as opposed to manual machines as I have been doing for the last fourteen years. Room to learn and grow, which also means room to earn $$$ as well.

https://www.turnamics.com/

Cool thing about this place, and me being a bike dork, our biggest customer is right next door.

https://industrynine.com

Whelp, here we go again, starting on Monday...Life rolls on.:)

Thanks Guys!!!

Hoping that I can retire from this one. :ebiggrin: Think I've found in my earlier searches, once you get close to/hit 50, people do not want to hire you. Thankfully I have a friend that works at this new place, and their attempts to hire younger folks, ended up with unreliable kids who didn't really want to work. I haven't really worked a 40 hour week in years now, I'm ready to go!!!

Congrats on the semi-retirement Richard!!!:ebiggrin: Please say Hi to Judy from us. If your ever up in the area let us know, would be nice to see you again. I haven't been down Atlanta way in years now, I need to get down there at some point in time.

Congrats, Carl. Many of us are only too well aware of the horrors and stupidity of ageism.

Thanks RB!!! Yup, had two great interviews where I was definitely qualified, and able to do the jobs. You never know for sure, but most likely I was passed over for my age.

Back