• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

"Subarufalia" car-camping thread

Fly

Forum Member
"Subafalia", from the combination of "Subaru" and "Westfalia".

I grew up traveling with my parents in a Westfalia, sleeping pretty much everywhere from VW dealership parkings (waiting for parts, LOL) to actual campgrounds or random forest roads. So naturally when I got my Forester, I wanted to get as close to that as possible so I could sleep at trailheads parkings before hikes. Or so I could sleep comfortably if I was too drunk to drive after a party, LOL!

So in that spirit, for everyone to get ideas for their setups, post pics of your sleeping setups here! Especially if you custom-made some parts (drawers? curtains? etc)

(My own will be coming shortly although it's nothing super sophisticated yet, I'm working on it)

I know there are some pics in various threads, but this aims to consolidate them in one place.

Those who have journals for their builds are welcome to post their pics here, and link to the journal so people can go there for more detailed info!

Last edited:
20120117_008.jpg

this is my setup on my 99 forester also goes on my 04 forester. i have googled subaru forester roof top tent/camper and mine is the only one i can find that is like this :ebiggrin:

I lay down the passenger seat, roll out a mattress, and sleep in the car. Surprisingly comfortable, and I don't need to move anything around. I wind down the rear windows and put mesh screens over the doors to keep the bugs out - see the second photo. I can wake up and drive away without even getting out of the car. I've had this car about 9 months now, and have so far spent more than 30 nights sleeping in it.
aIMG_1732.jpg

Here you can see the mesh screens, and also my custom drawers.
zIMG_2194.jpg

For members with OBS, L wagon, etc, a fellow RS25.Com member made this handy bed for the back of his OBS. He can still fold up the seats and such, it is not permanent.

DSC00545.jpg

It must be good getting a hit from that strut brace in the middle of the night when you roll over!

Here's Subaruby on our last outing together:

dsc4090wyperfield.jpg

And from the same trip, here's my setup that still in the "refining process"

dsc4083z.jpg

I love the roof top tent, so easy! I'm yet to try it out in the wet, that'll be an experience.

Things to do now: build a rear cargo storage area incorporating the engel (fridge) and second battery, spare parts storage, recovery gear with easy access, food storage, clothing storage and a "kitchen bench" arrangement that'll hopefully swing out and stand independent of the vehicle if need be...

It's all drawn up in my head! (hopefully it'll work!)

Cheers

Bennie

I should also say that I've slept in the back with the seats folded down, but find it not long enough. The solution has been to sleep on a banana lounge with the front seat folded forward, add a sleeping mat and it's the best sleep while only carrying a little bit of gear. No photos I'm sorry!

Cheers

Bennie

For members with OBS, L wagon, etc, a fellow RS25.Com member made this handy bed for the back of his OBS. He can still fold up the seats and such, it is not permanent.

DSC00545.jpg

Looks good, wouldn't it take up a fair bit of room though?

Wouldn't the strut brace get it the way? especially if there is two of you :iconwink:

I usually through my swag down on the ground or do what SJM does and lay-back the front seats, jump in a sleeping bag and go to sleep.

I should also say that I've slept in the back with the seats folded down, but find it not long enough. The solution has been to sleep on a banana lounge with the front seat folded forward, add a sleeping mat and it's the best sleep while only carrying a little bit of gear. No photos I'm sorry!

Same with my Forester, it's about half a foot not long enough, guess that's where the Outback or Lib is a winner.
I find I usually have too much gear too and it's too much effort to take it all out to sleep in there.

Something freakingly awesome? :p

It's called a rooftop tent. Retails usually starting around $2000, but the cheaper ones may be found from $1500 up to what... $6000? Something like that.

Something freakingly awesome? :p

It's called a rooftop tent. Retails usually starting around $2000, but the cheaper ones may be found from $1500 up to what... $6000? Something like that.

about right :iconwink: i paid just under $1500 cant tell you the brand off the top of my head though

i can sleep on the back of my foz did before the roof top tent and occasionally now if i push the front seat forward then i just fit :ebiggrin:

The bed in the back of Sleeparu's OBS is completely removable, and the strut bar is removed when he goes camping ;) He tracks that car, hence the bars in the back :)

I will have to post up pics of my sleeping arrangement in my OBS when I can find them, lol. WAY too many unorganized pics on Flickr...

-Jamie

That kind of bad really comfortable for two adult persons?

My wife and I slept very comfortably in the back of my OBS, and that was with a makeshift bed, lol. His bed is actually memory foam and I have to say it, just plain ingenious and badass :) I am 5'9" and my wife is 5'6", and I can just barely touch the back door when I stretch out.

-Jamie

Last edited:
Back