A New Forester for Ratbag's SWMBO

Well, Folks

It's done. SWMBO approved, and so did I. They put the acid on us, as have a "sale" on ending today, and had two other enquiries. Refused a holding deposit ... So I had to grovel and gawk today. All straight underneath. Doubt that it has ever even been off the bitumen. Some parts at the rear still looked "new" - i.e. original sub-frame paint with no layer of dirt ...

Car has not been detailed; so good to see it "raw".

Take delivery next Thursday.

This is it, here.

Got a reasonable deal on the Camry, $2,500, specially when one adds back the cost of imminent repairs of the order of $1,500~2,000 ...
The dealership had already reduced their asking price by around $2,000. So not a bad deal for a 3 y.o. car with 65K Kms on it, that had a delivery price around the $44K+ mark.

The dealer didn't realise that the Forester had about $2,200 worth of additional extras until they looked at the original order in the book wallet, BUT I had :iconwink: :) :) :). The deal had been struck by then. "Too late", she cried.

No cargo barrier, but has had a Milford professionally fitted previously - mounting points are still there ...

There is no key for the Thule racks, so they will either retrieve the keys, or re-barrel them :).

Drives well, with no sign of any kind of uneven wear on the Geolandar G95s, which are around 1/2~2/3 worn. Look to be OEM tyres, spare is new, and an alloy ...

Plenty of jump in the donk, even though duck-features managed to lock it in 1st to start with ...

Talked them up a grand on the Camry trade in; and also pointed out that by saying their car has "full log book records" by necessary implication meant that the normal servicing had been done, and that the 60K Kms service hadn't been ... They wanted to argue the toss about that, but agreed to do a basic service with both oil & air filter in the price. I mentioned that I didn't think that anyone would legally interpret "full log book records" to apply to a blank log book with no record of servise therein ...

MUCH running back and forth to the manager for approval of the various negotiations ... LOL. I had told the salesman at the beginning that I was a PITA ... :lol: :ebiggrin:

Will post some phone camera photos a bit later.

Need to exchange the brand new Bosch battery in the Camry for the fairly new but unknown age Century battery in Roo2. Exactly the same size/rating.

All up, the change over price was about $3K less than I expected it might end up being, with the car being both younger and with fewer Kms on it than I expected. Has the "Sports Auto" rather than the later transmission as well.

SWMBO is currently ringing around the party line telling all her friends, so obviously approved of ...

:ebiggrin: :cool: :lildevil: :biggrin:

Last edited:
Great news mate!

The red/black interior is certainly interesting....
Guess my Foz has fake wood grain trim around the centre of the dash. Good thing its dark and not to noticable because it looks sh*t.

When are you buying me a new Forester :iconwink: Na, I'd take a EJ25 with wirring loom instead. jk

What's the auto like witht he EJ25 compared to your manual EJ25?

Gidday Taza

Great news mate!

Thanks, mate ...

The red/black interior is certainly interesting....

What red/black interior??
Do you mean the poorly photographed "wood grain plastic crap" that they would have done just as well to leave out altogether?
AND put real chrome plating on the handles instead of the crap plastic finish on the door pulls and handles.

I just CANNOT believe that they have put the side indicator lights back on the front mudguards, instead of leaving them on the exterior mirrors ...

There is evidence everywhere of this being the "Accountant model" - i.e. they have done the cheapskate trick in a lot of ways. In some ways better than Roo2, but few and far between!

Guess my Foz has fake wood grain trim around the centre of the dash. Good thing its dark and not to noticable because it looks sh*t.

When are you buying me a new Forester :iconwink: Na, I'd take a EJ25 with wirring loom instead. jk

Don't we all just wish for this?
We were really glad when Dad gave us the Camry 12 years ago. It has served us well in the interim, and one cannot haggle about the price! An extremely generous and kind act on his part, in recognition of all that SWMBO and myself had done for him and her Mum when she was alive.

It is the 5th anniversary of his death today, so seems fitting.
He really wanted H to have a new car, and made extra provision for her in his will to that effect - again, as a "reward" for all that we had both done for them. Not that any was needed. We all have a debt to our parents that we can never repay, and I just do not understand how some people can walk away from that - YET they do!! :madred: :yell: :furious: !

What's the auto like witht he EJ25 compared to your manual EJ25?

Seems to have plenty of zap, mate. Enough to make H feel car sick when I gave it a squirt on North Road!

Probably not quite as much sheer grunt, but more than the Camry by a considerable margin, I reckon.

The auto is a true 4 speed, AFAICT. Seems to go pretty well :lildevil:.

The "Sport auto" is a pleasure to use, and is designed to be used manually. If you use the older style autos this way, they will break, and quickly. As my mate Sep said to me once "J, if you want to drive an auto like a manual, buy a manual; otherwise, you will just **** up your auto, and they cost HEAPS to repair/rebuild" ...

Congratulations Mate! Great news indeed.

Seems like you got a good deal on a good car, particularly with all the extras that come with the car. Funnily enough you do get used to the woodgrain - I'd rather something else but it's not enough to annoy me too much. Interesting to see that it also has front parking sensors - as you might have noticed driving it the front feels further away than the SG. I'm glad ours has the bonnet protector - good point of reference.

Glad to see you got a good deal on the trade in as well. From the link provided the car does look like it is in pretty good condition.

Having driven a mates family MY10 X with the auto, it is actually one of the better autos I've driven. Whilst it doesn't have the latest tech, it was fairly smooth and seemed to suit the car.

I'll stop rambling again - and congrats!

We all have a debt to our parents that we can never repay, and I just do not understand how some people can walk away from that - YET they do!! :madred: :yell: :furious: !

Couldn't have said it better mate, and yet, people still do. I can't understand it.

Last edited:
subaru seem to keep the indicator mirrors for the more expensive models now. our diesel has them, i think the turbo petrols do as well.

looks like the owner got the accessory pack plus like i got. as it has floor mats, rubber boot liner, mud guards, black strip across the rear sill and tow pack. doesn't have the weather shields though.

any plans for it?

Gidday A.

Congratulations Mate! Great news indeed.

Seems like you got a good deal on a good car, particularly with all the extras that come with the car. Funnily enough you do get used to the woodgrain - I'd rather something else but it's not enough to annoy me too much. Interesting to see that it also has front parking sensors - as you might have noticed driving it the front feels further away than the SG. I'm glad ours has the bonnet protector - good point of reference.

Glad to see you got a good deal on the trade in as well. From the link provided the car does look like it is in pretty good condition.

Yeah. We'd all like to get a Roller for the price of a s/h Mini, but I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon ...

So it looks to be a very good unit, with all the niceties that I am sure SWMBO will come to appreciate very rapidly (she already is ... :iconwink: ), at a reasonable price.

AND we get out of the "Camry problem" with a clear conscience - they had as good a look at it as we had at theirs, so there is nothing they can complain about if they did not notice the patently and blindingly obvious oil leaks ... Not like I had it steam cleaned and bogged up the bottom of the bell housing with Silastic!

The dealership will no doubt get an apprentice to pull the Camry motor out and spend two weeks fixing it up, with a bit of direction from a "real" mechanic. They have a huge dealership, and must have 200~500 cars on their lot, so can well afford the time and money it will take for the apprentice to do the job, and then roadworthy it. Or they will sell it into the trade, or wreckers.
Ross did inform me that he would not/could not roadworthy it with those oil leaks.

The sale price of the car from a dealer is around $4~5K, so they will easily break even on that part of the deal, if they go that way.

There is still 3 months left of the original Subaru warranty on the 'new' Fox, and a crappy 12 month warranty from the dealer that's worth what one pays for it - nothing.
As I said to the salesman, I would prefer to rely on s.16~19 of the Goods Act, depending on which State I am in ... no stupid $500 limit there ... "Goods must be reasonably fit for the purpose for which they are sold" covers rather a multitude of sins; and the dealership is a very large, sitting target if the car were to turn out to be a real lemon. However, I very much doubt that this will be the case!

Having driven a mates family MY10 X with the auto, it is actually one of the better autos I've driven. Whilst it doesn't have the latest tech, it was fairly smooth and seemed to suit the car.

I'll stop rambling again - and congrats!

Thanks, mate.
The Camry's auto is actually quite good. Three speed with an electric overdrive unit (switchable), plus a "Power/Economy" switch that resets the change points in a very satisfactory way! Worked very well, and not annoying in the least.
The 'Tip-tronic' style in the new Fox is better by a country mile though, even given my very brief experience with it.

We all have a debt to our parents that we can never repay, and I just do not understand how some people can walk away from that - YET they do!! :madred: :yell: :furious: !

Couldn't have said it better mate, and yet, people still do. I can't understand it.

:cool:

It is called a "Chinese Obligation" in many English-speaking cultures precisely because of the profound similarity to the Chinese attitude of gratefulness to one's parents and other ancestors.

I extend it to friends, teachers (both formal and informal), and the world at large, because I hope NEVER to be in a position where I can "repay" the "debt" I owe directly to those people, as it would mean that they would then be in the deep poop I have been in from time to time in my life - I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
So I "repay" my "debt" to those people by helping others, as and when I can.

Gidday Biesel

subaru seem to keep the indicator mirrors for the more expensive models now. our diesel has them, i think the turbo petrols do as well.

I don't care how you slice it mate, I don't call a $44K+ car "a less expensive model", LOL!
Some new definition of a "cheapie" with which I am not familiar ... :rotfl: :poke: :raspberry:.

Just bloody accountants stripping very cheap, but infinitely useful things out to make the car $50 bucks cheaper to build ... .
I am a retired CPA ... So I can be as rude about them as most of them deserve!

looks like the owner got the accessory pack plus like i got. as it has floor mats, rubber boot liner, mud guards, black strip across the rear sill and tow pack. doesn't have the weather shields though.

any plans for it?

Other than for SWMBO to drive and enjoy driving; none ... :) :cool:.

We may take it on long trips, as much more room in the back seats than my SG Fox. Also has the nice fold out tray and centre arm rest.
Apparently, almost all of the increase in length went between the rear seat squab and the back of the front seats - around 109 mm of it, anyway.

If one wanted to go anywhere in mine with four adults, it would help if they were both double amputees ... ;). Not really that bad, but not anywhere near as commodious as the Camry, or my Austin 1800/Kimberley ... The new Fox is very much their equal.

[EDIT] Just moved all these posts to a new thread folks. Seemed sensible ... [end edit]

Last edited:
Gidday All

Some pics taken with my phone camera.

Melbourne-20120616-00065_E.jpg

Melbourne-20120616-00066_E.jpg

Melbourne-20120616-00067_E.jpg

Melbourne-20120616-00068_E.jpg

Melbourne-20120616-00069_E.jpg

:iconwink: :) :ebiggrin: :cool:

Very nice RB...not bad for a:
"**HOLDEN 4 DAY SALE!** **THIS IS HOLDEN'S ONCE A YEAR 4 DAY SALE JUNE 13th - JUNE 17th" :rotfl:

Next time I buy a car can you come along lol :rotfl:

Great news. Look forward to you updating your signature now that you have upgraded your car.

Congrats on your new (to you & H) Forry :bananatoast:
Sounds like you did very well on the deal (changeover / drive away price etc)

Me either.

When do you get to bring your new baby home mate ?

Regards
Mr Turbo

Gidday NL, Rally & Mr T

Thanks fellas.

Very nice RB...not bad for a:
"**HOLDEN 4 DAY SALE!** **THIS IS HOLDEN'S ONCE A YEAR 4 DAY SALE JUNE 13th - JUNE 17th" :rotfl:

Next time I buy a car can you come along lol :rotfl:

Well, it did appear out of left field ...
They only put it up on their web site last night.
That's what the refresh button is for, I guess ... :lol:.

Trick is to look for what they are NOT advertising, as much as what they are.

Great news. Look forward to you updating your signature now that you have upgraded your car.

LOL!
Not yet; not yet ...
Still have to collect the new baby from the delivery centre ... :ebiggrin:.

Congrats on your new (to you & H) Forry :bananatoast:
Sounds like you did very well on the deal (changeover / drive away price etc)

That's what I said to the salesman when I rang at about 0907H today ...
I didn't care what they gave us for the Camry, just so long as the C/O price was where we (I ... ) wanted it to be. About $1500 more than I wanted to pay, but then one needs to add back the now redundant requirement to repair the Camry - just about $1500 ... ;).

It is also around a year younger and about 15~20K Kms less than I was expecting to buy for the money, so those are also relevant factors.

Me either.

Quite ... Grrr ...

When do you get to bring your new baby home mate ?
Next Thursday, as presently advised.

They have to do a basic service with oil and air filter change as part of the deal (They're a Holden dealer, so probably don't realise how much a Subaru air filter costs ... !!).

It also has to have a new windscreen fitted (and roadworthy), as badly cracked. Hope the fitters don't **** up the paintwork like they did on Roo1.

I also have to have the "statutory fight" (discussion?) with our insurer as to the agreed value. I will be angling for around $29,000. Seems fair, with the extras the dealer didn't realise it had until it was too late ... :iconwink: :lol: :raspberry:.

Hi Ratbag,

Congratulations on the new ride mate - looks fantastic!

Brilliant work on the haggling and the extra inclusions you were able to score :monkeydance:

And, well done on freeing yourself of a Camry... Subies all round the way to go! :lol:

Enjoy it!

Last edited:
Gidday Steve

Hi Ratbag,

Congratulations on the new ride mate - looks fantastic!

Thanks mate.

Brilliant work on the haggling and the extra inclusions you were able to score :monkeydance:

Thanks again. It is essential to 'unfold' one's position, rather than laying all on the table upfront, IMHO. SWMBO was also actively involved in this process.

And, well done on freeing yourself of a Camry... Subies all round the way to go! :lol:

That's "THE Camry" mate ... :rotfl: :raspberry:
Camry's are a flaming good "fridge on wheels" if you want something that is predictable, reliable and boring ...

Subarus are also just a white-goods car; and the same can be said about them; MUCH as I prefer Subarus :lildevil: :rotfl:

Enjoy it!

I am sure she will, mate.

But we are both more than a little stuffed tonight!

SWMBO just LOVES hanging around car yards ...

And I woke up feeling like warmed over dog vomit, so really didn't feel at all like doing the grovelling and gawking bit under the then prospective new beastie today, but they would not hear of putting it off until Monday ...
IF one can believe them, they had two other people who rang after we got there, and were not prepared to allow a "subject to inspection on Monday" contract ...

I will have to swap the batteries tomorrow, as just too buggered this arvo.
And besides, had to let the crowd know the outcome ... :lol: :ebiggrin: :biggrin: :cool:

Roo3 has been 'christened'

BTW Folks

SWMBO has christened Roo3 "RonnyRoo", in honour of her Dad ... :ebiggrin: :biggrin: :cool:

A nice tribute to a good father, and a good man.
I did the eulogy at his funeral. He was 92 y.o.

RB- Subarus are reliable, but definitely not white goods. Be it the humble Forester or the STI and the incredible Gen 4 Liberty, they are all far too enjoyable to drive to be be just white goods. Now while I won't use the dreaded "C" word, they are indeed reliable and long lasting (unfortunately) and are the classic case of a car that is bought by the head rather the heart. The Subarus that both myself and my family own are cars that are bought just as much by the heart as by the head. Subaru may have lost the plot since those heady days, but over time Subaru have made some outstanding cars, enjoyable to drive and ones that make a lot of sense.

I don't disagree, Rally ...

RB- Subarus are reliable, but definitely not white goods. Be it the humble Forester or the STI and the incredible Gen 4 Liberty, they are all far too enjoyable to drive to be be just white goods. Now while I won't use the dreaded "C" word, they are indeed reliable and long lasting (unfortunately) and are the classic case of a car that is bought by the head rather the heart. The Subarus that both myself and my family own are cars that are bought just as much by the heart as by the head. Subaru may have lost the plot since those heady days, but over time Subaru have made some outstanding cars, enjoyable to drive and ones that make a lot of sense.

However, by "white goods car" I mean mass-produced; not bespoke.
Nor even particularly expensive.

What I said does not go to how well such cars are designed and built, which is why I much prefer Subarus to every other brand of "white goods cars". In no small part, they achieve a standard of excellence in design and build quality by the extremely sensible and cost effective method of re-using parts (e.g. many of the gear sets ... ) time and again.

I don't disagree, Rally ...
However, by "white goods car" I mean mass-produced; not bespoke.

I feel that my Subaru's are more than just a car. When I drive other vehicles, holden's, Mazda's, Nissan's, etc... they just feel like a car. When I jump in a Subaru I feel more attached. More control, fun, feel from the car itself.

Especially my L-Series, it has alot of character for a car..

Back