Towing for L series.

I have an early L series brochure, but it doesn't mention towing weights.

If yours has an 1800 donk, I reckon 500-700 unbraked should be OK, and 1200 kgs braked.

Keep the tow ball weight below 50-60 kgs.

Being a post 1988 vehicle, any tow bar made for it should have a compliance plate stating these three figures.

An OEM Owner's Manual should also have the correct figures for your car. I will try to find one of these for you, but Bennie probably already has one (or more ... ;) ).

I think "offroad" camper is the key here and of course these can be fairly heavy. I cannot recall ever seeing an L series tow an "offroad" camper. A Cub Kamperoo might be OK, but even they are minimum 655 kgs.
https://www.cubcampers.com.au/the-range/kamparoo

Maybe a Pod Trailer camper will suit. https://podtrailer.com.au/

I suppose it depends on just how much serious offroading you intend to undertake.

no problems. I Towed a steel Ute tray that was converted into a trailer with mechanical breaks. It had two very big tool boxes of tools weighing about 750KG and at the time my EA82 was leaking out the bottom of the carby from Ipswich to Burpengary via Summerset Dam going up the ranges I was flat chat doing 50-60 up them. Didn't have too bad a time slowing down hills either and Somehow I used only 14L per 100 going there and on the way back used 17L per 100 on the highway (must have been getting worse on that carby leak.

Only mods to car are custom 2 inch exhaust from headers to the tip and the fact it only had done 180 000 kms the car is also actually a 3 speed automatic (no one ever seems to with this transmission but mine did well despite it also leaking out the control module.

When I bought my L-Series, I was told by dealership, 400kg unbraked, and 750kg with brakes. I have these hand written into my owners manual at time of purchase because it is not otherwise listed.

We have a 1986 Cub-o-matic that weighs around 400kg fully loaded. It is not an offroad version, but has enough clearance that it will keep up with the car on any track that the car can still travel with the extra weight behind it. The car will run out of puff, before the trailer runs out of clearance.

Beigewagon.

well tow bar is rated to 1 tonne and i did read it somewhere that the max was 1 tonne braked. but they may have offered 2 or more different tow packages.

^ that sounds about right to me. Consistent with the vehicle mass, engine size and development and towing specs of later vehicles such as the Impreza, SF etc.

Yeah well that is also what I figured.....sadly makes me miss my old falcon......was such a good tow car but sadly not built for going offroad. :p. plus six cylinder and V8 rego is so expensive in QLD.

Back