Towing mods required

imoyle

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester 2.0DL
Transmission
Auto
We have a Subaru Forester 2.0D-L and have an off road camper ordered. The camper weighs around 1300kg. The turbo diesel Forester can tow up to 1800 kg.

Any suggestions about modifications that would make for a rewarding towing experience both on and off road e.g. Improved suspension, all terrain tyres, underbody protection etc.

You'd need to check what the ball weight of the camper is. If it's a forward fold, the ball weight could be around 200kg loaded.
Not sure what the tow ratings are for my sg forester, but if i hooked up our forward fold to it i reckon it would pull the arse out of the forrester.
Greensuby

CVT ? I'd be looking carefully at what mods like trans cooler may be required.

1300 is a lot -- and no doubt you'll put stuff in it (water, gas, bedding, etc).

Towball download

Thanks GreenSuby

Towball download is 90 kg, with plenty of leeway before reaching the 10% weight limit of 180 kg.

That must be some trailer. My camper is no lightweight at 750ish kg loaded. I would definitely recommend electric brakes if the trailer has them. And if not, get them fitted somehow. When you are going down steep dirt tracks you wouldn't want to have anything else. Also can help stabilise the trailer if you get swaying. Get a sump guard, and with that low mounted turbo, be mindful at water crossings what cold water will do to a stove hot turbo. I would be interested to know what the argument against a cooler is. What model of camper trailer did you get?

the camper

Thanks Rally

The camper is a Rhinomax Scorpion; with significant off road creds; hence the 1300 kg.

Yes it has electric brakes and we have a Redarc Towpro brake controller in the Suby. I've heard a number of times now that a sump guard is a given; thanks.

As for the transmission cooler, I've read elsewhere on the forum that advice from Subaru Australia is that a transmission cooler isn't necessary in the Forester. Many others have said it's necessary.

Once you include water and other bits and pieces, you will be nudging 1500kg. I think I'd be including an oil cooler. Not just for the gearbox, but the engine as well (with thermostat).

I've got a 2015 2.5 CVT and tow both my camper trailer (750kg) and boat (1300kg) with it no problems. I've towed both long distances including dragging the boat up to Lake Eildon in summer and never had any trouble with the CVT. I usually use S mode when towing the boat to increase engine breaking on down hills and improve throttle response. But that said the usual rules apply, take it easy.

Back