Mocky

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
L Series Sportswagon
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys,

While driving I'm noticing coolant leaking into the front footwells from behind the centre console/heater vent area. Just a few drops but pretty constant so there's a bit of a puddle by the end of a medium length drive.

Been told it's most likely the heater core. Anyone done this before themselves, what sort of job is it? What cost are the parts?

I'm considering getting the local mechanic to sort it out as it's a pain in the donkey job I think, but it would be costly in labour.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks heaps
SM

It could just be the hoses, SM.

If it is, and there is enough length, cut the damaged ends off and put them back on.

If you need to cut the dag ends off the heater core, be very careful not to cut/damage/score the heater tails.

Thanks Ratbag...having done some more ausubaru forum reading looks like the entire dash has to come out which sounds excruciating. Is it worth the headache for $500 or so of labour at a mechanic...

Even if it is just hoses, the dash would need to come out too I guess?

SM

Thanks Ratbag...having done some more ausubaru forum reading looks like the entire dash has to come out which sounds excruciating. Is it worth the headache for $500 or so of labour at a mechanic...

Even if it is just hoses, the dash would need to come out too I guess?

SM

It should be in behind the glove box, if it's anything like my Impreza?
You can tell roughly where it is by where the hoses enter the passenger compartment from the engine bay.

Ac drain pipe blocked?

Good thinking, TB. It's worth checking that out before doing anything else.

AC Drain pipe? Not familiar...i'll have a look at what/where that is. How does that work that it would drip coolant if blocked?

Thanks for the advice guys, this area of cars I'm not that clear on how it works...

^ the heater and air-con cores can 'sweat'. This freezes and melts. After melting, it runs out the air-con drain tube under the vehicle, making it look as if your car has wet itself when parked on a hot day after the air-conditioning has been running.
If this drain tube is blocked, it wets itself on the floor of your car instead ... hence the puddles :biggrin:.

IOW, what TB is saying is that it may not be the core leaking at all, just a blocked air-conditioning drain tube ...

Mocky,

If there is coolant leaking then it is definitely the heater core. The AC drain, if you have AC, is through the fire wall into the engine bay,

I have done a couple of L-Series heater cores. The last cost $320, thats more than an engine radiator.

You will need to loosen the steering column, and lower it, as well as completely remove the entire dashboard. There are several vacuum lines the keep track of, and will need to go back in the correct order for your heater vent controls to corrospond to their positions.

It will also help to remove the suround from the gearshift, and low range levers, as well as the console tub infront of them, under the radio. Behind this is an earth wire that I could not reach the end of, so I cut it and rejoined on reassembly.

While you have the heater box out, make sure you check the felt seal around the core, as it will most likely be perished, and let air passed, that shouldnt.

Also during removal, and reassembly, on the drivers side? of the heater box, the is a tricky wire (not electrical) that connects onto a plastic flap (recirc I think), that will have you wishing you were double jointed between your elbow and wrist.

My first attempt took almost a whole day. The second one (different car) took about 4 hours.

Beigewagon

Yeah it is a pain in the arse job. But you should be able to do it in a day just depends on your financial situation and time constraints. For me I would do it myself. But I have the time to do it. If I was working full time I would get someone else to do it.

Back