your list of recovery gear

here's my recovery gear

Recovery Gear
Puncture repair kit
Air Compressor
5m x 8mm drag chain
Industrial hand operated ratchet cable winch with 20ft cable
4 x Winch extension cables (2x5ft, 1x25ft, 1x50ft)
Snatch block
Tree trunk Protector
Distribution cable
4 Bow Shackles
Winch extension strap 20m
Leather Gloves
Folding Shovel
2kg axe
Hatchet
Snow & mud chains
Trouble light

onebob

G'day Nate, this is a drag chain
TS-33-7.jpg

I'll use it between my hand winch and tree protector strap (or other anchor point) to be able to adjust the working distance to the vehicle under recovery.
The winch has only 10ft dual line pull (20ft single line). If after the 1st pull i shorten the chain to reposition the winch i can pull another 10ft and so on.

onebob

Last edited:
here's my recovery gear

Recovery Gear
Puncture repair kit
Air Compressor
5m x 8mm drag chain
Industrial hand operated 6 ton pull ratchet cable winch with 20ft cable
Snatch block
Tree trunk Protector
Distribution cable
5 Bow Shackles
Leather Gloves
Folding Shovel
2kg axe
Hatchet
Snow & mud chains
Trouble light

onebob

..... and since Fathers Day a chainsaw to add to the above

and soon a ground anchor set up.....

onebob

Heres mine for a day on the beach. For camping there is more.

Recovery Gear
Air Compressor
Pressure gauge
2 Shovels, 1 with a long handle
20m rope
10m rope
Snatch Stap
UHF radio
2x 1m planks of wood (cant afford maxtraxx)
Mobile Phone (Next G)
5L Water
Some food
A blanket

This thread's still alive? Ok.

• (2) 7m 9000kg recovery strap
  • 2m tree trunk protector
  • 20m 4500kg winch extension strap
  • Web shackle
  • (4) D-shackles
  • Washers for centering strap-ends on shackles
  • Pow'r Pull 8000 SB (large 3600kg-rated come-along)
  • (2) Heavy-duty wheel chocks
  • (3) Emergency warning triangles
  • 12v air compressor
  • Unpowered air compressor (plunger/pogo-stick style)
  • Tire plugging kit
  • Full-size spare tire
  • Compact spare tire
  • Subaru jack
  • Subaru wrench
  • Some plywood
  • Jump-start pack
  • Kitty litter
  • 4 L gas container
  • 14 L of water
  • Tuna (in oil, for resistance against freezing)
  • Whole-wheat crackers
  • Raisins
  • Banana chips
  • Beef jerky
  • Granola bars
  • Mixed nuts
  • Fork/spoons
  • Tiny military/camping can opener
  • Leather gloves
  • Radiator sealer
  • Gas tank patch kit
  • Fuses
  • Flares
  • Motor oil
  • Folding shovel/pick-axe
  • WD-40
  • Duct tape
  • Silicone tape
  • Twine
  • Lashing wire
  • JB Weld
  • Waterweld
  • Leatherman-style multitool
  • Toothbrush
  • Pipe cleaner
  • Prybar
  • Diagonal cutter
  • Scissors
  • C-clamps
  • Hose patch kit
  • Shake-powered flashlight
  • 6v lantern
  • Saw
  • Hatchet
  • Torque wrench
  • Socket set (lug-size socket incl.)
  • Screwdriver set
  • Hex key set
  • Cheater bar (.6m steel pipe)
  • Locking pliers
  • Slip-joint pliers
  • Adjustable wrench
  • Pipe wrench
  • Tire pressure gauge
  • Popsicle sticks
  • Water purification tablets
  • Backpack
  • Sack of clean rags
  • Garbage bag
  • Empty 64 oz bottle
  • ResQMe
  • Automobile club card
  • Fire extinguisher
  • Snowbrush/ice scraper
  • USA, Colorado, city, forest maps
  • GPS
  • Cell phone & charger
  • Safety goggles
  • First aid kit
  • QuickClot
  • Tweezers
  • 91% isopropyl alcohol
  • Signal mirror
  • Whistle
  • Insect repellant
  • Normal blanket
  • Rescue/space blanket
  • Normal matches
  • Stormproof matches
  • Magnesium(?)-based fire starting tool
  • Candles
  • Compass
  • (2) hooded sweatshirts
  • Shirt
  • Sneakers
  • Pants
  • Wool socks
  • Knit hat
  • Mittens
That all safely fits into the cargo area of an Outback Sport*, even with the back seat NOT folded down. I'm not sure what it does to my car's mileage, but I do lose about .5 cm of ground clearance. I leave most of this in my car all the time. The water and first aid stuff is temperature-sensitive, and the Pow'r Pull is cumbersome, so I often leave them behind. I bring repetitive items such as all the flat tire equipment and fire-starting devices because I heard tire problems are common when off-roading, and building a fire might be really important some day. I originally planned to REPLACE my compact spare tire with the full-size one, but the full-size one doesn't fit in that storage area. That area gets quite damp (condensation?), so I continue to keep my compact spare there rather than other cargo.

*The fire extinguisher is bolted to the floor near the passenger seat.

Last edited:
here's my recovery gear

Recovery Gear
Puncture repair kit
Air Compressor
5m x 8mm drag chain
Industrial hand operated ratchet cable winch with 20ft cable
Snatch block
Tree trunk Protector
Distribution cable
4 Bow Shackles
Leather Gloves
Folding Shovel
2kg axe
Hatchet
Snow & mud chains
Trouble light
Chain saw

onebob

I have transferred my recovery gear to my new offroader :biggrin: and the snow chains because they're now wrong size for the new vehicle have been upgraded so the old ones are now for sale :)

https://offroadsubarus.com/showthread.php?t=2707

onebob

Compressor - bushragner black max - excellent
Snatch strap 6000 - bushranger - spot on
Recovery Bridle - 4X4 Equip - essential for from of vehicle recoveries
3 in 1 tyre gauge - bushranger - gauge and deflator in 1- really handy
X Trax - bushranger - get me out of sand and mud (too often)
Shovel - just one from the shed, really wants the 2 piece 4X4 equip shovel tho...
headlamp - for night recoveries - soo convenient
gloves - 1 set leather - 1 set rubber
shackles - 2 x ~8000k / 2 x 11000k
snatch dampener - old jeans or similar
tyre repair kit
first aid kit
tape
rope

What spares do you take bush?

The 3rd outback trip is scheduled this winter and this time we're going further afield: Broken Hill, Tibooburra, Innamincka, Coongie Lakes, then down the Strezlecki Tk to the Northern Flinders ranges.

Reading up on what some authorities recommend by way of spares, it's quite a list and some expense. Eg. a full set of belts and hoses.

What does the brains trust think?

Our Foz has only 60,000 km on the clock and has an alloy sump guard.

I'm also wondering about taking a 2nd wheel which has also been recommended. We carry a tyre repair kit as well as a can of sealer. Of course these won't help with a sidewall gash but I'm not anticipating taking rocky tracks with the possible exception of Chambers Gorge.

Last edited:
Lots of good tips in this thread. :iconwink:

Definitely a full set of hoses and belts. And at least a tyre carcass if not a 2nd spare (don't count on being able to buy the right tyre out there). I always carry a 2nd spare when in the outback.

If there are compatible model cars going then maybe the spares can be pooled. A Scanguage or similar in the group would be very useful to diagnose any issues should they arise. (I also carry the sensors that most commonly fail in Subies, but have not gone to that expense for the Triton so far).

Hoses and belts ... I carried those when I had the Outback as far as Winton and Innamincka in late 2009.
Would carry the hoses again however, in retrospect, I can't see much sense in carrying the belts as, if they need to be used, a flat bed truck or replacement enging would be more 'useful'!
IMO better to replace the belts before you leave home if they are getting towards that time, as breaking a belt on a 4 cyl Subie is the equivalent of "letting the smoke out" of an electrical device! :raspberry:

Thanks guys.

Kevin, which sensors commonly fail?

Carrying just a 2nd tyre sounds good as minimising weight will be important with the extra fuel and water we'll need. Good tip. Is there any issue with diff. wheel circumferences (due to new vs. older tyres) causing probs, anticipating at the worst 800km or so to get back to 'civilisation'?

What else does the Scangauge tell you apart from fuel stats?

Barry, yeah, OK ... as long as I watch the warning lights carefully? Haven't checked the service intervals for belts but will do so.

Carrying just a 2nd tyre sounds good as minimising weight will be important with the extra fuel and water we'll need. Good tip.

Don't forget levers, bead breaker etc, and practice changing it at home. It's not something you want to learn in the middle of nowhere. Any old cheap wheel/tyre from the wreckers is good for learning on.

Thanks guys.

Kevin, which sensors commonly fail?

Carrying just a 2nd tyre sounds good as minimising weight will be important with the extra fuel and water we'll need. Good tip. Is there any issue with diff. wheel circumferences (due to new vs. older tyres) causing probs, anticipating at the worst 800km or so to get back to 'civilisation'?

What else does the Scangauge tell you apart from fuel stats?

Barry, yeah, OK ... as long as I watch the warning lights carefully? Haven't checked the service intervals for belts but will do so.

Water pump / timing belt requires replacement at 200,000km. I replaced the water pump at the same time. (This was just after my trip.)

IMO long distance travel is just another reason to have RACV 'Gold' category membership, or other states equivalent.

Free 'towing' irrespective of distance. ElFreddo came home to Melb on the back of a flat-bed from 'somewhere on the Nullabor' a couple of years ago at no charge.

Not sure of how other state motor service organisations operate in that regard. Also probably worth checking as to what constitutes a 'government road', as I suspect that they might draw the line at some point (Canning Stock Route, for instance?) but I'd think that most of where you have said you are travelling would be OK.

Our Foz has only 60,000 km on the clock and has an alloy sump guard.

Which model is your Foz? (you can add that as your signature)

I agree there's not much point in taking a full set of belts. If the Tbelt goes a spare wont help you much :(

But the alternator belt is a good idea. I would check your radiator hoses, if at all suspect replace em & keep the old ones as spares. Carry a length of heater hose as well.

Apart from all the items mentioned I'd also carry some fencing wire or at least some steel coathangers...it has 101 uses lol ;)

Nach. MY 08. Yeah, of course; wire, duct tape, cable ties, WD40, flexible silicone (?) tape for hose etc leaks.

What's a Tbelt?

Good point sjm ... done it on motorbikes in the distant past and it was a plick ... out bush, at my age, not sure I'd be up to it :-(

Thanks Barry, that's a useful heads-up. Have RACV Total Care and will look at the fine print.

Nach. MY 08. Yeah, of course; wire, duct tape, cable ties, WD40, flexible silicone (?) tape for hose etc leaks.

What's a Tbelt?

Good point sjm ... done it on motorbikes in the distant past and it was a plick ... out bush, at my age, not sure I'd be up to it :-(

Thanks Barry, that's a useful heads-up. Have RACV Total Care and will look at the fine print.

Timing belt

Back