Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > General Forums > Members Journals

Notices

Unread 14th May 2018, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Model: Forester
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

Looks good! Will you use wire mesh for the floor?
Unread 15th May 2018, 12:08 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2001
Model: Outback '01, 2.5 NA , VDC
Transmission: 4eat
scalman is on a distinguished road

I will if i find right one somewhere locally. For floor and sides. Would be nice to find light and strong same time. But metal so i could weld it on floor metal tubes. And then some wind deflector in front with couple extra lights.
And painting all black.
But with me wanting it to be light i guess i made it not hi lift carrying capable. I mean hi lift jack probably weights more then all roof rack and if i would bolt it on side it kinda scares me thou. I wouldnt feel secure about that i dea i guess. Or i could midify base flat platform to be capable of cary hi lift. I should search more about where people carry they hi lifts and how.

Last edited by scalman; 15th May 2018 at 01:07 AM.
Unread 15th May 2018, 02:09 AM
Administrator

Sometimes I carry the hi lift in my Triton and then it is in the steel mesh basket or on the steel mesh platform (I have both) :

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/products...et-medium_rlbm

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/products...orm-small_rpbs
Unread 15th May 2018, 06:16 AM
Forum Member

And how you mounting it there? With special brackets? They are very strong ? How you found them?
Unread 15th May 2018, 08:25 AM
Administrator

I use 2 x cam buckle straps which have 75kg lashing capacity each: http://www.juststraps.com.au/store/c...asp?image=TS10
Unread 16th May 2018, 09:44 AM
Forum Member

On one section there front wheels dropped down and traction control took care of it. Not even one tire slippage. It would drive without traction control as well but would dig some dirt while doing it same time making track worse for next going.
Im saving not just nature driving on LPG but saving track as well thanks to traction control. GreenBaru
Unread 17th May 2018, 03:35 PM
Forum Member

roof rack painted in black with some rust paint something. hope they will hold . now searching for some metal mesh to be strong and light, yet cant find any good for me . everything in those shops are for garden or for buildings. so they too soft or then too found something in other city so maybe i will drive there tomorrow to check. was looking in metal scrapyards , nothing there , or just small peaces not size that i need. 1x1.80m .and then some for sides.
thinking about if i will put extra led lights on it how i will connect them. i have second battery in trunk just for insurance, i would like to make some box for it or something. connect it to charge from alternator and then use it for all extra led lights and such. saw some good ideas in net. it started to rain now couple days so i just left roof rack to dry in garage.

looking for this style mesh but not too thick and heavy i dont need that at all . if its metal i would just weld on frame. if aluminum would just secure it with bolts. depends what i could find here. to drive far just for peace of mesh is just not worth it.

as for leds on roof rack im thinking to make them kinda stealth. not so much visiable on normal roads just in case some police might not like it . not sure but they can be covered i guess. have couple ideas for that not sure if they could work yet but thinking about that wind deflector in front and maybe my leds could be covered with that or like part of that could cover led and then open led when i need. well something like that at least.
something like that maybe

but with real covers for lights as well not just holes. im making all simple and cheap look for purpose ..well for not to attract too much attention as well. as my car lives on street and i dont see it at night via my window. so something that looks expensive would be bad.
Unread 19th May 2018, 04:00 PM
Forum Member

didnt found mesh that i wanted so took mesh that ppl use in buildings. it was 50x200 peaces so i took 3 . and 2 peaces its about to cover that base platform of roof rack, which what i wanted . so its not bad.

and yes its enough space to still open sun roof

Unread 19th May 2018, 05:02 PM
Forum Member

jf1sf5 is on a distinguished road

With this roof rack, you are ready for a new trip across Europe
Unread 19th May 2018, 06:09 PM
Forum Member

i could put some light stuff there sure. and heavy more down. still i never was packed full in trunk yet. this roof rack is just to see can i do it and when i will need it . i could use it . even with small firdge , tent , sleeping bags and other stuff for 2 people its enough space to put all that inside trunk.and when sleeping in car its still enough space on front seats to keep all bagage. but for spear tire or even hi lift that could be good place if i would need any .
tested that on 120 km/h and didint hear any more noise from it . but im sure it would affect my mpg. with just flat part on maybe would be better .
duno what im gonna think next, maybe try to make mounting for hi lift . my thought is to make it not so much outside for less swing from side to side and secure it maybe on couple larger bolts. its heavy thou as i see it need to be really properly secured on some good base so it wont get loose or brake something while on roof or worse brake car body or windows.