Notices

Unread 8th September 2018, 07:18 PM
Forum Member

Year: 1996
Model: Outback
Transmission: Standard 5spd
SiDbaru is on a distinguished road
Default Diaries of Sid V.

I think this is the correct forum for this. I will use this to document and share my plans and progress while building a capable camping adventure wagon.

Recap: Two days ago i ended up trading my 2012 suzuki S40 boulevard motorcycle for a lifted 1996 Legacy Outback (one in my profile) 300K miles. runs and drives. leaks a little. engine looks tired lol. But it has ADF components and sweet tires. When i was doing the research i became intrigued and made the deal. I think the wagon is VERY unique and up until about a week ago i did not know that this is a thing.

I love camping, shooting and off roading. i have a truck for off roading and that will not change. But i have been in need of a capable vehicle that doesn't get 13mpg when i go camping and shooting. so this is going to fulfill that need. with some money and effort i will try to make this reliable and fun. So i do not plan on hardcore off roading/rock crawling with Sid (if it happens it happens)

Offerup add
-Anderson Design 2 lift with trailing arm spacers
-General Grabber 215/75/15 AT2 tires with 99% tread
-Full sized matching spare
-CB radio
-Full size light bar
-Battery isolator installed(but not hooked up) so you can add a second battery in the back for running accessories
-Voltage meters installed to monitor both battery voltages
-all carpet was removed and floor sprayed with truck bed liner
-true snorkel w K&N air filter in the box(Ive had this car up to the side mirrors in water many times!) IMO the snorkel is iffy at best, not fully sealed to airbox
-Timing belt, water pump, tensioner and idler all changed 10k miles ago
-Bluetooth radio with USB
-Huge full sized roof rack!
-Changed front Ujoint last year with serviceable joint
-Manual 5 speed trans!
-2.2l SC H4

Vehicle Backstory (according to to the seller): He has owned it for about two years. He did all the mods. while he and his friends were working on it, he found what he thought was a bunch of twist on electrical connectors. His friend informed him they were needle caps.
"maybe diabetes?" someone said optimistically... Nope, they found a burned spoon and a needle under the back panel. H
ANYWAY.
They nick named it Sid Vicious. (He also said He has had it with water up to the top of the doors driving across the river.)

So the name stays. My best friends sister had a lil dog name Sid Vicious that was actually a cool lil guy (i don't like most little dogs, and the feeling is mutual)

My Plan for Sid I most certainly plan on doing some camping, road trip, mountain biking adventures with this Sid.
First things first, the interior. WOW. there is oil (all kinds) in the trunk/hatch area, and it smells very bad.
there is also a film of filth on everything. plus dog hair, plus dust and dander and i dont want to know what else. last night and this morning i stripped the interior and degreased the entire floor pan. that was gross.

Next I am going to check the compression and see where this engine sits in that area.if its ok i may just do some basic matainence for now and drive the heck out of it. not too far though just in case. but ill get a "low miles" 2.2 and fully build it up for reliability and longevity(maybe head studs, all gaskets and seals etc..). If the engine is on its last leg ill just throw one in for now and build another.

i will upload a few more photos soon.
its looking AND smelling much better already
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39264.jpg (14.8 KB, 18 views)
Unread 8th September 2018, 08:37 PM
can only hope to improve

Year: 2004 | 1992
Model: SG Forester X MY05 | 92 SVX
Transmission: 5MT D/R | 4EAT
Ben Up North is on a distinguished road

I think you should rename it Skid Vicious.
And do a wild rainbow paintjob on the roof. Or stick a Mohawk on it.
Unread 9th September 2018, 10:33 AM
Forum Member

Year: 1988
Model: EJ22'd L series
Transmission: Locking Centre Diff 5spd Manual 4.111:1 diff ratio with 1.59:1 low range and a front OBX LSD ;)
El_Freddo is on a distinguished road

Cool looking ride there mate!

I'm guessing you'll be building a rear cargo area that allows you to sleep in there too? There are some great ideas/builds for this out there already!

As for the engine, don't "build up" an EJ22. Just do the head gaskets and go from there. Use the old head bolts unless the engine was severely overheated, in which case, don't use that engine! While the heads are off you can throw a new set of rings in her with a little extra work. Before everyone jumps up and down saying "you can't do that" have a read of this article

If it hasn't been done recently, put a new cam belt kit on it from a reputable brand (not made in china!), including all idlers. A new water pump and coolant change would be a good idea so you know how old the stuff is in there

Keep the oil and coolant where it should be and you'll have a sweet ride for a long time to come!

And welcome to the forum!

Cheers

Bennie
Unread 9th September 2018, 01:40 PM
Forum Member

Thanks El_Freddo. that article was great, didnt even know but it makes sense. i appreciate the kind welcome and hope to contribute to the community.

Last edited by Kevin; 9th September 2018 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Unnecessary use of Quote
Unread 11th September 2018, 01:11 PM
Forum Member

Sunday was spent installing the seats and fixing a few things like the roof rack cross bar and a few other niknaks.
Here's a photo of one of those "twist on but connectors" the previous owner found and some sort of parafinalia tool. Actually I don't know what it is but they were in the same seat pocket. Any input from the profesionals on what this tool is used for?

I went to the diy car wash late sunday night when I realized that car still has a smell to it. I've smelled this before in other people's houses and cars, hard to describe but it's not pleasant.
So I'm going to ditch the seats and the headliner. Currently looking for replacement seats. Don't care about not having e headliner, unless you can supply a good reason to get one lol.

Monday was spent removing the headliner, installing tie down/anchor attachments in the cargo area. I also put a better negative battery cable and ground wires. Beefed up and extended the trans ground.
Removed the unfinished wiring for the secondary battery that was never completed.
Relocated the light bar wire, have to patch/plug the whole drilled into the roof now.
Also topped off the nearly empty power steering res, added a splash of oil and coolant.

Next step I'm going to compression check the engine and see where that sits.
I also found a potential downer outback. It's a 95 manual with really nice seats, door panels, steel wheels, and a ton of other components I am looking for ie AC compressor and extra engine,brakes etc... wish me luck

Ps y'all gonna laugh when/if I get this doner car, you'll see
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180909_202602.jpg (12.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20180910_093300.jpg (21.7 KB, 9 views)
Unread 21st September 2018, 12:17 AM
Forum Member

Sorry for the delay y'all. I have a lot on my plate. And I guess I'm just not that hungry

Today I got her registered in my name and insured. Also got some sparkling new plates (was purchased without a front plate)

I'm still planning on getting that 95 outback to canabalized. Talked him down to 800 but I need to get a ride down there. It's not too far but no one wants to take me. I really hope no one buys it. To the average Joe it's a heap of steaming dung, But to me it all the parts I'm looking for, plus a few bonus part and maybe a few parts worth selling to fund other modifications or repairs.

So the past few nights I have been burning the midnight oil getting my garage organized. It has turned into hoarder central in the past three years. The last thing to do before I'm ready to start this project is sell or donate this cabover camper I acquired. So that's the excuse lol
Hopefully I will be posting frequently as soon as this ball get rolling. Time to increase my appetite ; )
Unread 8th October 2018, 02:20 PM
Forum Member

So I bought the thing for 800.
It's a 95 2.2L engine, 5spd manual trans, AC works (Sids doesn't), nice interior and seats, stereo with amp (he just unhooked the subs when I bought it and I paid 450 less because of it)
It also has a hitch (hope it's not welded on), a fender without hole from the "snorkel", nicer headlights, steel wheels and a handful of knickknacks like two jacks, leather wallet, small cargo net, a universal lug nut wrench, plus all the spare parts and then some.
$800

It was in a accident. Has a salvaged title with safety inspection required.
He says it will pass and doesn't leak water and...... blah blah blah. Yea right there is gaps in the frame lol

I am going to dismantle it and scrap the frame. Done deal. So tonight I tinker around the new victim to be canabalized. And I am going to ready the dungeon (garage) to recieve said victim. Wish me luck
Unread 8th October 2018, 02:33 PM
Forum Member

9/24/18
Had the most productive weekend. I was able to make huge progress on the garage.
Also I found a way to get Choppy into the garage without moving the trailer/camper out of the driveway. I'm pretty impressed and happy with the results. So the donor vehicle is in the OR and ready to be prepped for surgery.

Here a list of extras I scored from Choppy. Minus the engine, trans and AC.
Yakima rack
Rugged custom bumper
SUBARU rubber trunk mat
Full set All weather floor mats
2 jacks and wrenches
2 tie down straps
1 bungee strap
2 clip/clamps
1 "REGULATOR 2464" plate
Universal lug nut wrench
Leather card holder wallet
Samsung USB charger
1 small carabeaner
1 medium carabeaner
1 flush cigarette car lighter
1 tow ball
1 led cap/hat light
And about $1.87 in loose change

Tonight's goals:
-interior swap (seats, driver seatbelt, maybe center consol)
-re position Choppy with my new vehicle dollies and put it on jack stands.
-remove stereo amplifier, speakers and head unit
-what ever else I decide to do lol

When I start running out of gas I'll crack a beer and go sort and organize the endless supply of nuts and bolts bins and then clean up
Unread 8th October 2018, 02:35 PM
Forum Member

Parts score
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180923_125833.jpg (21.1 KB, 3 views)
Unread 8th October 2018, 02:37 PM
Forum Member

10/1/18
Yesterday was a complete success. I got way more done than expected partatilybecause everything is SO simple on this vehicle.

I was planning to just pull the hood and fenders and look at the bumper to see if its removable or welded on. And this is how far I got... (See photos)

So what I didn't get the fenders off as planned. But great news about the bumper not being welded on
I thinks all that is left before the engine gets hoisted out is:
Remove axles
Undo engine mounts
Remove exhaust manifolds

See photo