GTsurfer

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
XT Foz
Transmission
manual
Hi
I did a search and couldn't find any details.

I have purchased a second hand fibreglass roof tent which weighs about 70 kg on the bathroom scales, balanced on a piece of wood, yes approx.!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjNvl5fkzPM"]APOLLO FIBERGLASS CAR ROOF TOP RACK CAMPING TENT BOX - YouTube[/ame]

I believe Foresters have a roof rack rating of 50kg, does anyone know if this in the roof rail or the rack?? and would you risk 70kg on your car?

I think it's 75 kgs as a maximum load on a moving vehicle. I think the figure is mentioned in the owner's manual. Can't recall where else I might have seen it.

Page 8-11 of our SG series II manual:

"Roof rail ... is designed to carry loads (luggage and roof rack) of not more than 80 kg (176 lbs)."

.. and then you pop 2 bodies in it - 150+ kg.

Not moving, admittedly.

Methinks that the maximum roof loading is determined by the stability of the vehicle in motion, not its ability to support a load while stationary ...

A trap is that the total of everything in and on the vehicle must still be less than the GVM on the compliance plate.

Modern vehicles have surprisingly low GVMs, even for some apparently very sturdy vehicles (e.g. commercial type vehicles; 'real' 4WDs).

Load distribution is also important. Search on here for bent rear struts. IIRC, many of these that occurred had a rear bar with spare and 20L fuel container. That's at least an extra 50-70 Kgs hanging way out past the rear axles line. Leverage is important, as Archimedes said ...

Static weight of a roof top camper at 70Kg plus people is not a problem - I used mine for many years on top of the Foz. (It's now on the Triton.) As suggested, be careful of total load. You will love it!

thanks Kev -- I do suspect static load is absolutely fine - after all, the roof is designed to be a protection device in a rollover event.

thanks guys, looks like it will be within the specs,, I think I got 50kg of a roof rack but that would be per each rail........, I can notice the weight driving, but I guess that is something you get used and corner slower!

hi guys!
I'm also interested about this theme!
If i have understood, is it possible to mount a roof tent on the rail and sleep inside (2 pax, 150kg) without problem if the vehicle is stopped?it's right?

thanks a lot :)

@Kevin thanks, do you have a detail photo of your roof racks mounted on the rails?and how the roof rack is fixed on the rail?

@eldi I don't think so but they are Thule square steel racks and feet:

Get them extra wide in order to hang a shovel etc .

IMG_8430.jpg

Wow, i see who you have an autohome roof tent (Columbus?) small, medium or large?what is your opinion about this product?

I have the medium size - it is fantastic but getting very expensive over here! I have had it since 2007.

Back