• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Off-topic discussions

Venom

Forum Member
I'm finding it a common occurence to go to the most recent activity on a thread to find the last page or so dominated by totally off topic discussion. Scrolling back and i find no actual updates on the topic itself, or its buried. Its frustrating beause i'm usually going to the thread in the anticipation something relevant has occured or been discussed. I'm not saying it shouldn't happen or people shouldn't do it, although my personal opinion is it should be avoided. I do think the discussion should be moved to a new thread of its own, including the unrelated posts in the original thread. I think it would better for the original poster and readers, without stiffling spontaneous discussion.

Gidday Venom

I'm finding it a common occurence to go to the most recent activity on a thread to find the last page or so dominated by totally off topic discussion. Scrolling back and i find no actual updates on the topic itself, or its buried. Its frustrating beause i'm usually going to the thread in the anticipation something relevant has occured or been discussed. I'm not saying it shouldn't happen or people shouldn't do it, although my personal opinion is it should be avoided. I do think the discussion should be moved to a new thread of its own, including the unrelated posts in the original thread. I think it would better for the original poster and readers, without stiffling spontaneous discussion.

I think that you are right, and that coming from a contributing serial 'offender' in that regard ... :redface:

Probably.

Us mods/admins are trying to move these so called topics to a New Thread when it happens..

And you are all doing a fine job of it too, Taz.

The site is very well run in that regard. I certainly have no complaints :).

I am going Camping/Wheeling this weekend so I will be sure to post up plenty of pics to keep the 4x4 theme going ;)

-Jamie

Yes I've been guilty of some straying off topic at times too :redface:

What I try to do is to post a reply about whats being said, then in a closing remark, I try to steer it back to the actual topic of the thread :iconwink:

Sometimes it works & sometimes it doesn't :o

Regards
Mr Turbo

All these dittos are takin us off track ;)

What was the topic again?

Ah, yes. Being off topic ...

How can one be off topic on a thread titled "Off-topic discussions"?

LOL. I suppose anything's possible ... :rotfl:

I think we were discussing the weather in Brisbane weren't we :lol:

I agree with the OP and, yes, we do try and split threads when they start wandering too far from the original topic.

Back