Paint Chip, now a tiny rust spot

Nephrurus

Forum Member
Here we go, a use for this forum.

A piece of paint about 4mm square has come off, and is now rust coloured. Is there a way to fix it up or stop if getting any worse? I'm not worried about appearence, more that it'll cause problems down the track ($$$$ wise).

Cheers!

-Henry

Unfortunatly now it is one of those things...the best (and really the only way to fix it properly) is to sand the chip out, prime the affected area and finally paint the panel.
But really anything covering it at all (bare metal doesnt really like the elements) is better than nothing. Try and get some sort of paint on it as quickly as possiable (even if you go to your local Panel shop and just ask them to do a brush touch on it - it wont last too long, especially if it has already started to rust, but as said earlier....it is better than nothing!)

Temp chip repair

A tip I received from a dent/chip repair guy was to put clear (finger) nail polish on any small chips or scratches to stop corrosion. Not every little break in the paint is going to be worth a professional repair & the nail polish is tough enough to cope with weathering.

Paint chip

Henry, I discovered a paint chip about the same size as yours within a week of purchase. How it happened is unimportant. The bottom line is the dealer repainted the hood in about an hour. It looks brand new again! Take it to your local dealer. You will be happy with the results. This is not a big deal for them. challis

A tip I received from a dent/chip repair guy was to put clear (finger) nail polish on any small chips or scratches to stop corrosion. Not every little break in the paint is going to be worth a professional repair & the nail polish is tough enough to cope with weathering.

In the bicycle biz we always told folks to go the fingernail polish route. Very tough and with some careful selection and/or mixing, you can color match just about anything.

Henry, I discovered a paint chip about the same size as yours within a week of purchase. How it happened is unimportant. The bottom line is the dealer repainted the hood in about an hour. It looks brand new again! Take it to your local dealer. You will be happy with the results. This is not a big deal for them. challis

Hey, what do you drive, and where did you go? I'm originally from CT

Back