Life In The Old Man Yet

I was going to sell my beloved Subee for a bigger unit, was thinking a D Max twin cab ute. After adding up the costs and the outlay and the repayments etc etc today i decided the Subee gets another 5 yrs to live again.

It has a lot of history this car, its the car the started ORS, its been all over the place in some very tough conditions, and is now a tow car for my old camper (also getting a facelift) and will run me out to the detecting sites, some of this terrain is pretty rugged.

So where to begin?
Last year i put a set of heavy duty springs on the old girl and now i will run it in for new struts (brand/make/type are open to suggestion)

A new set of rubber will go on after that, will give the Yokis a miss this time, i chewed the ATS set out faster than expected so i will look into whats about.

A full body overhaul/detail ding knock out etc and i may source a rear bar but thats way down my list, then onto the mechanicals, thinking thinking.

Most recent pic

subee.jpg

Are you getting an OEM axle? Aftermarket ones usually don't last very long on a lifted Subie.

Are you sure the grinding sound isn't the CV having spat the grease out?

OEM, i know some of the aftermarket ones create noise at speed, as well as not lasting. The grinding started before the grease got spat, but only a few hundred k before so i am hoping they are one in the same.

:lol:

Jobs done and the car feels and sounds much better.

I got the new OEM axle from a mate of a mate for $200, the old axle even had signs water in it (no idea how that would happen :rotfl:) . My mate changed out the axle and put a new CV boot on the passenger side as well, that was showing wear, but the axle if fine. I went and got a wheel alignment and all's good, well until something else goes. :neutral:

I am now wandering if another hardly noticeable noise that's come into play may be the start a thrust bearing crapping its daks :cry:

Does it ever end? maybe i should buy another car? oh wait i just did :iconwink:

Had to change the headlight globe on the passengers side, which meant taking the battery out. Alls good, globe in so take the car for a run, it wouldn't even make it around the corner without playing up. Scratched the head for awhile then remembered the ECU may need a reset, but had forgotten the procedure.:neutral:

Finding all my old notes took me ages and there it was, went through the procedure, then took the car for a run about 30mins later, its running better than ever.

I may be coming to the end of the journey with this car, am thinking of putting it on the market for around 6k as is no reg, i will see how i feel about it over the next few weeks, i need to pour more money into my Dmax and not enough funds for both cars.

Replaced the passenger side front with a new CV assembly, the bearing wouldn't remove from the hub, even in a press, so it now has a new hub assembly as well..... next

Thats all she wrote after 15 years, a trip on the back of a tilt tray.

Lots of memories in this car, its been a lot of places and had a lot of fun.

Hope it finds a good home :twisted:

Attachments

• subee.jpg
    subee.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 14
Back