• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Outdoor Cookbook

LoneStar

How's about everyone sharing some of their favorite recipes. I know I'm always looking for something new. Here's one of my "best kept" secrets.

Aces High BBQ Sauce

1 cup strong black coffee
1 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 cup catsup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons hot chile powder
2 teaspoons salt
2 cup chopped onions
1/4 cup chopped green chile peppers: jalapeno, serrano, or habanero
6 cloves garlic, minced

Simmer 25 minutes or longer till desired color is reached (it darkens).
Puree or blend. Return to pot and cool. Pour into jar and keep refridgerated.

**** WARNING **** Be cautious with this as it tends to run a little warm for some. I substituted 1 tablespoon of habenero chile powder with the regular hot chile powder and only the true pepper heads could eat it. :lildevil:

Sounds pretty stinkin good. Think i will print this out and give it a try this weekend on the briskett we're smokin.

Great thread. I normally cook roast lamb and spuds when away. For any size group you'll need 2 camp ovens- one for the lamb and one for the spuds. I put about 5mm water in the bottom, maybe a bit more. Put the lamb in fat side down, add rosemary and cook away. Add the spuds later. Simple, but exceptionally good tucker- the aroma of which permeates the air for some time, until all you can think of is that leg of lamb. Once eaten, you realise it was worth the wait.

Gonna try it Rally. Thanks. :ebiggrin:

dirtyRU, hope it works for you. Let me know.

John

Put the lamb in fat side down, add rosemary and cook away. Add the spuds later. Simple, but exceptionally good tucker- the aroma of which permeates the air for some time, until all you can think of is that leg of lamb. Once eaten, you realise it was worth the wait.
I can certainly recommend Rally's lamb roasts whilst camping, they are absolutley delicious :raspberry: :bananatoast: :raspberry:

Regards
Mr Turbo

There are 2 blokes who know more than just about anyone about cooking in the bush. If you can get hold of any of Malcolm Douglas' dvd's he always does a cooking segment on bush cooking on his tv shows. The other bloke is Major Les Hiddins aka The Bush Tucker Man. He did some great shows some years back. In Australia, it was shown on the ABC so you could try The ABC Shop.

Both Malcolm Douglas and Les Hiddins formed good personal relationship with Aboriginees who still live off the land. What the Aboriginees don't know about the land you could write on the back of a postage stamp, and through both men much can be learnt.

Hiddins is now helping Vietnam Veterans, while Malcolm Douglas tragically died last year- an irreplaceable loss.

There are 2 blokes who know more than just about anyone about cooking in the bush. If you can get hold of any of Malcolm Douglas' dvd's he always does a cooking segment on bush cooking on his tv shows. The other bloke is Major Les Hiddins aka The Bush Tucker Man. He did some great shows some years back. In Australia, it was shown on the ABC so you could try The ABC Shop.

Both Malcolm Douglas and Les Hiddins formed good personal relationship with Aboriginees who still live off the land. What the Aboriginees don't know about the land you could write on the back of a postage stamp, and through both men much can be learnt.

Hiddins is now helping Vietnam Veterans, while Malcolm Douglas tragically died last year- an irreplaceable loss.

Doesn't Robert Graves have something about Bush cooking in his Bushcraft book? What do you Australians think of him anyway? He was highly regarded here in the US up through the 80s at least, but these days, not too many know of him.

A good source of camp cooking recipes is also found in the older boy scout handbooks. I have my uncles book from the 1950s (US boyscout handbook) and it is full of cooking ideas.

i'm with Rally on the camp oven cooking. i use white wine (cheaper the better) as the liquid and put in celery, onion and carrot then stick the lamb or beef on top with garlic and beef stock then peas at the end as they only need a few minuets. camp ovens can be tricky until you learn how to keep them at temps desired. the most important thing and i can NOT stress this enough!! BEER is at utmost importance as failure can occur without warning and BEER and only BEER will cure all disasters. you have been warned!

also i have a bbq grill plate which i have some bended reo bars attached that i put over hot coals. i marinate any meat bbqable for this and just slap it in bread roll. no mess no cleaning! just wipe your mouth on your shirt;)

While this isn't near as fancy as Rally's famous lamb roast, it was def. quite tasty for my first time trying it out!

Pizza Calzones on the charcoal grill

1229111813.jpg

While it may not be what you typically think of when camping, it's pretty simple & fairly quick. Basically you make your dough & roll it out like you would as if to make a pizza. Spread whatever goodies you like over half the dough -though not sauce, since you are suppose to have that on the side for dipping - fold it over, crimp the edges and let'er rip!
You'll need to roll them out though on something other than your pizza stone though, as it needs to be on the grill heating up. When you can spit on the stone & it sizzles, you know you're ready ;)
Mine took about 12 mins on the first side, then 8 mins on the other. The crust/dough itself came out perfect. Thin, crunchy layer outside with good moist crust below that. Tasted just like it came out of a brick oven, i also added hickory chips into the coal to add more flavor. Had a blast making these for the first time.
You will also need a proper cold beverage while standing at the grill, per the rules of grilling! :bananatoast:

Awesome effort dirtyRU, they look good enough to eat! :raspberry:
Dunno bout the spit test though haha :huh:

Havent seen Rally's roast but I can tell you Venom does an awesome roast in a dutch oven. Very sweet & tender. Roast lamb, roast veg, cold beer, Subaru vids playing on the laptop sitting aound the campfire, koala grunting in the background...aaah that's the life! :biggrin:

chuck wagon...

I love salmon..so I marinade it with teriyaki, also a rub..Zip loc it..stow it in cooler.
Wrap in foil...cook on fire Coals or fry pan until meat is pink..
Don't forget the beer...

black bean burritos..
I used this one whilst traversing Mt.hood timberline trail.. 42 miles in two days (donning a 50lb pack and lots of elevation gain/descent)real power food..!
take a can of black beans empty in ziploc bag.
pre cook brown rice , empty in ziploc bag.
bring a pot of water to a boil whilst bags are in pot...No mess to clean..
Keep an eye on bags so they don't touch sides or bottom and melt.
take a fry pan and lay tortillas in with a bit of veg oil. low heat..
Add a couple slices of pepper jack on tortilla melt..
add black beans, rice to tortilla cheese melt.
topping of fresh cut cilantro, onions, top with salsa..:raspberry:

A brew to wash it down.

breakfast burritos
I take the freeze dried bacon/eggs cook them in pouch.
use a fry pan , veg oil add tortilla..low heat
add a couple slices of pepperjack melt
add bacon/egg mix to tortilla melt
top with salsa
enjoy with a cup of joe...:raspberry:

Last edited:
Lost me on the last one scooby. Beer would go well with that one as well. :rotfl:UNLESS, your in West Viginia back woods where whiskey is the prefered drink with breakfast. Those guys are tough. :rock:

im yoinkin the lamb idea for the anual march trip in the sandias- sounds about perfect to tease the competeing foodies with, simple but righteous

unfortuanly roo tail is nearly impossibly and insanely expensive to get in new mexico, but pork skewers over cedar coals with a good dark ale is always a winner- no fuss no muss, as long as no one drops theirs into the fire

holy awesome those calzones look good

Awesome idea for a thread, I love camp cooking. I'll ad some recipes when I get more time. This barely counts as cooking but I figure I'd post it anyway.Some friends and I go on an annual hot springs camping trip and we try to go to a different hot springs each year. At one hot spring we go to, in the mammoth lakes region, the hot water that feeds the hot springs tub comes up in a little pool above the tub and there is a pipe that goes to the tub with a valve on it to control the temperature. This is looking down into the little pool: The BLM owns the land and has covered the top of the little pool with a metal grate to protect people because it is extremely hot but of course people have pried the grate open. So we made little "baskets" to put eggs into out of what ever we could find and lowered them in:Then we brought some salt and a bottle of hot sauce down to the tub and soaked while our breakfast cooked it self:Perfect breakfast!

Doesn't Robert Graves have something about Bush cooking in his Bushcraft book? What do you Australians think of him anyway? He was highly regarded here in the US up through the 80s at least, but these days, not too many know of him.

An enthusiastic bushwalker, skier and pioneer of white-water canoeing, he foresaw how a knowledge of bushcraft could save lives in the Second World War. To achieve this end, he initiated and led the Australian Jungle Rescue Detachment, assigned to the Far East American Air Force. This detachment of 60 specially selected A.I.F. soldiers successfully effected more than 300 rescue missions, most of which were in enemy-held territory, without failure of a mission or loss of a man. (Ref; cover of his famous book "10 bushcraft books"). Yes very well known for survival skills, including rudimentary improvised cooking.

^ Gidday Geoff, and a warm :welcome: to the ORS forum, mate ... :).

I assume that you are referring to Robert Graves in this post:

https://www.offroadsubarus.com/showpost.php?p=23865&postcount=7 ?

I haven't read any of his stuff, so enlightenment is in order ... :poke: :cool:

That's the guy. His 10 Bushcraft Books are available as a pdf file here:
https://www.bushcraftuk.com/downloads/pdf/10bushcraftbooks.pdf
Great, straight forward writing. I've used the finger twist method of twine making. It works great.

Back