The Red XS

I wasn't going to do a build thread as I didn't think I needed major modifications. But looking back all the minor tweaks over the years have built up. Actually, it has still been less then two years. So here we go...

When I got my Forrie it was the only SG series II that I could afford on my uni student budget and despite a few minor problems (lack of oil and radiator fluid) it was still so much nicer than any of the series I's that I test drove. This was my first car and has still been my only car. I originally got it because I wanted a 4wd that was still nice to drive.

After reading through the forum my first mod was my DIY mark I bashplate which I installed before doing any offroading.

1_zps49d73d5a.jpg

Did a few surf trips and a few trips with forum members. Meeting a lot of great people on here, some of them with an insane amount of very helpful knowledge. The forester proved to be a very capable car off road even in its pretty much stock form. I wasn't going to do any mods as I didn't think I needed them, how ever my bash plate was slowly turning into a bashed plate as I was doing a fair bit of scraping.

So then came the lift. Opted for 1" strut top spacers, mostly because they were cheap, but also because i wanted to keep the half decent articulation of the standard springs. If anything, I'd want softer suspension, as I travel light, with further travel, but there don't seem to be any cheap options for that.

Untitled4_zps59b0dddf.jpg

Car looks way better with the lift in! Proportions really suited the car, this is how Subaru should have sold them as stock. At least the newer models come with decent ground clearance.:)

Now, most the tracks I do are with minimal scraping, occasionally I wish I put a 2" lift in, but I haven't really "needed" it. Since was doing less scraping the DIY mark II bashplate came along.
https://offroadsubarus.com/showthread.php?t=5671

10_zps85747e32.jpg

Another DIY job was the easily removable window mounted CB ariel.
1_zps4026c614.jpg

Car was doing and looking great. Got the Red XS up one of the tallest sand dunes in Australia first attempt, while Land Cruisers and Patrols were running out of power 1/8th of the way up. But the next thing to fix was the approach angles. I only saw the plastic bumpers limitations as a guideline, hence the scrapes and holes in it. A SubaXtreme bull bar came up for sale locally for a decent price and was in my colour! This was far too good an opportunity to miss.

To be continued...

Hopefully making something special either Thursday or Friday depending on how busy work is.

Been a while since the last update... I like the look of the current forum!

I now 1.59 low range, 4.44 diff gears, 12kg centre diff and ARB locking rear diff. I experimented with a lower low range, which is what the last post hinted at, however was only amazing for a short period of time and reliability was more important. Can only dream for the future...

I rebuilt the rear hotbits for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I think the longer external canisters helped them last longer then others have experienced. I also noted that the first shock to leak was also the only shock with a torn fork cover, so I want to give credit to the fork covers for keeping the dirt out. They are for a Suzuki DR650, not exactly a similar vehicle...

Shock.PNG
I also used Motul full synthetic 2.5w fork oil which has improved the ride greatly. I no longer have rebound set to the fastest and can use an inbetween setting which I am still fine tuning.

Overall the car has just been performing brilliantly so have been enjoying it on trips.

Back