Subaxtreme bull bar for SG forester is it worth it?

Vert

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester x
Transmission
Auto
Hello all,
Looking to hear from members who have SG2 model with bullbar, either sg1 or 2.
Just seeing does it really improve off road pros and cons.
The 07 bar looks not as good as the other models for it.
Cheers for any feedback.

Last edited:
Dam phones billboard .... bull bar..... good thing there's autocorrect

Fixed, mate. Bloody spell chequer ... :poke: :iconwink:.

In answer to your question - about 1-3 degrees better approach angle, and far less likely to be damaged like the OEM plastic bar.

Far more importantly to me, it stops any discussion with a roo from taking out the top radiator tank, and worth it for this reason alone IMO.

I put a SG series I bulbar on my SG series II. Only reason I did it was to improve approach angles. The series I bar gives slightly better approach angles then the series II bar.

I had quite a few scrape marks on the stock bumper as well as a tear which was slowly getting larger.
10_zps85747e32.jpg

Even ripped it off on a rock once...
Screen%20Shot%202016-07-13%20at%202.51.33%20PM_zpsekj2sqqo.png

But I haven't put any scrape marks on my new bullbar yet. It's touched the sand here and there, but nothing bad like it used to. Hasn't changed the over all off road performance as I never let a bit of bumper scraping stop me ... as you can tell by the above pictures. But it is nice not worrying about it catching on anything. Also it looks way better...
2_zpsj7fp7gzz.jpg

Other Pro's
- Easy mounting for spot lights
- Easy mounting for CB antenna or dune flag
- Increase chance of car being driveable after a roo hit.
- Really light bulbar, no noticeable difference in handling (some steel bulbars on other cars do wreck a cars handling)

Cons
- Have to cut plastic bumper and wheel arch linings to make it fit
- Leaves windscreen washer bottle vulnerable, unless if you relocate it to the engine bay location with a washer bottle from other models.

Overall I'm really happy with it.

Yeah was looking at doing the same thing maybe.....
Doing an interstate rural holiday in two weeks so not sure if I will have the time to do.
It gives massive tire angle approach compared to the standard wrap around aluminum sports like bar.
Any links you can suggest for this conversion diy????

There are several ways to fit a Series I (03-05) SG front bar on a series II (06-08) SG all are acceptable depending on what you want to achieve.

There is the 'easy way' where you keep the whole bar intact and use the factory mounting position which leaves more of your front bumper in place. (see DellsFoz DIY write up https://offroadsubarus.com/showthread.php?t=967&page=2)

There is the 'hard way' where you modify the mounting brackets and cut away a lot of the bar under the headlights. You also modify the air intake and washer bottle. This results in a higher mounting of the bar flush with the guards. You end up with a much improved approach angle but the alloy hoops sit higher than normal (see my car)https://offroadsubarus.com/showthread.php?t=6666&highlight=salty

There is the 'hardest way' which is similar to my method but you make your own alloy hoops, similar to an ARB Sahara bar. (see Findizzles car)
https://offroadsubarus.com/showthread.php?t=6643&page=2 Honestly, I like Fandizzle's method the best but I need the side hoops to mount my fishing rod holders.

Ok so it's only a slightly worse approach angle for the sg2.

So far I see that it offers more protection to engine bay area. No need to do a washer bottle mod and I keep my airbag rating for insurance if the worse was to happen.
Faster fitout for trip. Lol

I like the extra tire clearance on the sg1 though.
Maybe I should just call it at the sg2 purely on the airbag rated for my 07....

Just been told by subaxtreme that the standard 07 off-road bar does not give any increased approached angle.

Well that was after I explained what approach angle was.... so I not to confident.

Is there any members with this standard cast off-road bar who can confirm this?

The red foresters stock at this stage and the silver forester has larger tyres and I think a lift too so the ground clearance isn't a fair comparison ... but you can see that the 07 bulbar comes up at a steeper angle then the plastic bumper. It doesn't give the approach angle of the earlier bar, especially not in front of the wheels, but I'd estimate it to be about a 3 degree improvement over the stock plastic bumper.
Untitled3_zps9ef4c28c.jpg

You're right about them ... :rotfl:.

I did measure mine (2006 - same model) and IIRC it gives about 40-50mm better clearance in the centre, with a bit less than this at the sides. Don't quote me on this! I would have to check - i.e. find the bit of paper ... ugh!

It has never hit anything, whereas my OEM bumper has scratch marks all over it like Red's.

Sweet thanks fellows.
Looks like it's a no go on the bar before I go away. They currently have a six week turn around time :(
May have to now look at seeing if I can get one of those number plate light bars and mount some lights up to them.... may be a little too heavy for them though... :(

Yep I like that colour. Was that just a streight charcoal powder coat?

Lol I should just trim the base of the plastic one in the meantime ;)

May have to eBay for a unibar like this.
images

Then search forum for wiring guide.
Thinking of setting the wide beam as a separate for fog. Might not be worth the trouble and time currently... Lol nothing like a deadline :)

Last edited:
Yeah, standard factory hammertone. I painted the rear of the outer hoops with matte black to cut down reflection from the parking lights! That's what the masking tape was for. It worked.

Hey Red XS, I have a series I SG and am hoping to fit the series II 76mm nudge bar from ECB, as they only sell a 63mm nudge for the SG I model. Are you aware if it should just bolt on? Are the mounting points identical?

Back