Doug86

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester XT
Transmission
Manual
Hey All,

I am planning on giving the new tyres and lift a bit of a test. Unfortunalty I can not take a huge amount of time off and am thinking about a 3-4 day trip out to the Flinders Ranges.

I have not been out there for a long time and am really keen to go for a poke around. I think that we will base ourselves at Brachina East campsite. As I am a Dept. Environment employee I get free access to camp grounds so that is a win. From there it is going to be a go for a poke around and do some driving and some walking coupled with a few cold beverages in the evenings and a nice fire. You know, the whole reason we own cars like this :raz:

I have heard tell that the Skytrek is well worth a look but I was wondering if others had any thoughts about where is a good spot to go. I know there used to be a National Parks Map of all the good tracks but I cant find it anywhere anymore.

I am thinking of doing it in the next few weekends but a quick read up suggests that most of the roads up there are in pretty good condition so we shouldn't have any issues with road closures etc.

Has anyone done the Skytreck or the Caernvoen Track in their forester?

I have been speaking to people who have been on them and they are umming and erring at the moment with no one willing to give me an answer. The one thing that people have mentioned is having good clearance. Given the new springs are going in tonight that should not be too much of an issue.

I don't want to get charging into the park only to find that I have bitten off more than the little forester can chew.

I'm running BFG ATs with raised King Springs giving me overall 50mm of additional clearance.

The one thing that does worry me a bit is I still havent sourced a sump guard...

A decent sump guard is an absolute must. Its not just about not making a mess with oil, its more about your oil pump sucking in air & your engine running dry! :eek:

From what Ive heard, Skytrek is pretty easy now. If you go to the Northern Flinders around Arkaroola, Echo Camp Backtrack is a bit harder, but I managed it with some spirited driving :lol:

Back