Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > General Forums > New Member Introductions

Notices

Old 21st October 2017, 12:29 AM

Year: 2004 | 1992
Model: SG Forester X MY05 | SVX
Transmission: 5MT D/R | 4EAT
Ben Up North is on a distinguished road
Default Hulloo from the Tropics.

Hello all, long time Subaru owner, and forum user but never tried combining the two before!

Born and bred in South Australia, I grew up going camping just about everywhere in S.A, chunks of Vic & N.T. And got a taste for difficult 4WDing in the victorian alps providing support for trail rides.

For the last 16 or so years We've been living slightly north of Cairns in beautiful Tropical North Queensland. We've got a 2004 SG forester that we bought new when we had money in TDBSAK (the days before school age kids). Now it's turning into a bit of a project so that we can do some serious exploring of the wilderness up here.

I've just had a 2.5"fr 3.5"rr lift kit from Subieliftoz installed (the blinking mechanic didn't install the durn camber bolts though, have to take it back on monday. gaah!). It's awesome and even without the rear camber adjusted drives surprisingly well!

Next up is new tyres - which is confusing the heck out of me. I don't wan't to change rims at the moment (unless the price is right!) currently I'm running 215/60/16 road tyres and was aiming for the something like a Desert Hawk 215/70/16 (unless the general concensus is NO!) but according to my calculations, they won't fit, or am I wrong?i
The other option would be looking at Dueler AT D967 or even BFG K02 in 215/65/16 but they're pretty much double the price (although the dueler are $100.00 off for 4 at the moment)

After that it's Snorkel time (thanks for the recommendations Matt from Subieliftoz) and some sort bar replacment for the front so I can bolt the ridiculous lights I have on it (2 x Blitz 240 & 1 x Cibie Super Oscar) as well as jamming in a winch.

Once all that's done it might have stopped raining enough to get out and have a bit of fun.

Anyone else up here in the land of stingers and crocs? None of my friends are into 4WD and it's a bit silly to be wandering around up here on your own..!

Cheers,
Ben Up North
Oh here's Jack, now standing on tippy-toes with dodgy rear camber:

And unrelated, a Cassowarry eating a pineapple:

Sorry if the pics are enourmous.
Old 21st October 2017, 12:31 AM

Enormous dang it! I hate spelling mistakes! <checks rest of post>

Last edited by Ben Up North; 21st October 2017 at 12:31 AM. Reason: dang spellink agin!
Old 21st October 2017, 06:15 AM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Model: Forester
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

G'day & Welcome!
Old 21st October 2017, 06:59 AM

Year: 1999
Transmission: Manual 5sp
timbercomp is on a distinguished road

That cassowary munching on a pineapple is great! I'm hoping its a smallish pineapple, else that bird is a man eater!

I've been reading a bit about tyres and wonder if you've looked at the Toyo Open Country AT2? They're in there with the other one your list as the tyres that most interest me at the moment.

Cheers,

JP
Old 21st October 2017, 08:27 AM

Year: 2002
Model: Forester SG
Transmission: 1.447 low range 4.44 diffs
havachat is on a distinguished road

Queensland Bullbars make a Bullbars for the SG1 Forester. Cheaper that Subxtreme and easy to fit.
Just remember when fitting 65 or 70 series tyres it will alter your gearing. If you are doing a lot of high country stuff I wouldn't go bigger than 65.
Old 21st October 2017, 09:46 AM

jf1sf5 is on a distinguished road

Welcome Ben Up North !

215/70 16 tyres will fit Jack without issues. Dunno about the Desert Hawks though.
Old 25th October 2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havachat View Post
Queensland Bullbars make a Bullbars for the SG1 Forester. Cheaper that Subxtreme and easy to fit.
Dropped them a line, see what they come back with - have heard figures of around $2300 or so plus shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by havachat View Post
Just remember when fitting 65 or 70 series tyres it will alter your gearing. If you are doing a lot of high country stuff I wouldn't go bigger than 65.
Mmm. was thinking that, with the lift I've got it's probably better not to put even more work on the poor axles!
The problem is.. there's not much around in A/T in 65 that I've found. Deulers and that's about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf1sf5 View Post
Welcome Ben Up North !

215/70 16 tyres will fit Jack without issues. Dunno about the Desert Hawks though.
Yeah, from what I've been reading, probably just as good (if not better) to have a road tyre and deflate it a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbercomp View Post
That cassowary munching on a pineapple is great! I'm hoping its a smallish pineapple, else that bird is a man eater!
They get pretty darn big. I've seen one demolish a hand of bananas in one gulp. Thank goodness they are vegetarian, still pretty lethal if they're annoyed though. Fortunately most of the time they're pretty much an enourmous chicken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbercomp View Post
I've been reading a bit about tyres and wonder if you've looked at the Toyo Open Country AT2? They're in there with the other one your list as the tyres that most interest me at the moment.

Cheers,

JP
Haven't looked at Toyos yet, on my radar though
Old 24th November 2017, 07:14 PM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

Gday!!

Haha that cassowary is awesome lol
Old 26th November 2017, 01:13 AM

If you like cassowaries here's one outside the camper in Etty Bay, during our last Surf Lifesaving carnival.

Oversised chickens, but not nearly as timid as most chickens.

I'm not sure if they've managed to kill anyone, but they could if they wanted to. Their claws are enourmous and they kick like, well, like a cassowary. Hell of a sight to see them fighting.

Unfortunately not my truck. Its number plate is TOY and that's what it is, they only use it for travelling to Surf Carnivals & Camping. its a 4WD flatbed with a crane on the back that they use to lift on and off their camping box (Has fridge, generator, cooking equipment etc). Apart from that, they've got some nice swags and that's about it. The rest of the space is used for their other toys, like bikes & boards. It's pretty awesome.

Not my XV either. Someone was sleeping in the back of it though, which i thought was impressive. They weren't short either! I think I'll stick with the king size bed in the camper...

Last edited by Ben Up North; 26th November 2017 at 01:20 AM. Reason: added detail
Old 28th December 2017, 11:43 PM

Year: 2010
Transmission: Manual
Dunco is on a distinguished road

Hi Ben,
You can save a ton of money on tyres by going on tyre sales.com.au . I've done a lot of research and found that the toyo open country were the best rated. If I didn't buy them I'd go with the dueler 687s that came OEM on the car.

I'm up north too (Townsville) so I primarily go bush camping. Go for a drive up to the atherton tablelands and explore. Plenty to things to see and do with the family.

Cheers