Notices

Unread 27th November 2017, 08:36 AM
Forum Member

Year: MY14
Model: Forester XT
Transmission: CVT
pbilz is on a distinguished road
Default Hello from Brisbane

Long time lurker first time poster. I've been reading the forums for a while and figured it's about time I introduced myself. I've been pining for a subi for many years and I've finally made it happen.

I've had my SJ XT for 6 months now and I've started exploring around south east Queensland again after parting ways with my old 'lux about 4 year ago.

During those 6 months, I've raised a few eyebrows going through the Condamine Gorge '14 River Crossing' track, enjoyed some dirt roads around the back of Lake Maroon, Emu Creek campground through Benarkin state forest and Bunya Mountains, and slapped on a beach pass to see what Straddie Island had to offer. The subi surprised many of the bigger dual cabs on the softer beach cuttings. It also surprised me how much of the beach it brought back to the mainland. Cleaning out the engine bay and other nether regions of sand is not fun however.

The mods are fairly light on at the moment. First to go was the rubbish sound system as I need my tunes. I installed some Focal Integration Series speakers driven by a mini Focal amp mounted in the dash behind the head unit with a kicker hideaway sub under the front seat.

Next on the wish list... will see. The standard 18" rims have been working ok for now - most of my off-roading is to get to a camp site or some trails for sight seeing and day trips. I would like to go to a 17" rim just to get a little bit extra sidewall. A lift would be great too. But that's probably a few months away yet. I'll probably get more value out of a roof basket / pod.

Next on my travels... I'm headed up to FNQLD for Christmas to see the folks. I figured I'd take a drive and call into a few spots on the way up and back and if I get a chance, explore when I'm up there.

Cheers!

Last edited by pbilz; 27th November 2017 at 03:34 PM.
Unread 27th November 2017, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Model: Forester
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

G'day & Welcome aboard pbilz!

(Just realized from your pic that XTs must now be FMIC and not TMIC as in the past.)
Unread 27th November 2017, 06:07 PM
can only hope to improve

Year: 2004 | 1992
Model: SG Forester X MY05 | SVX
Transmission: 5MT D/R | 4EAT
Ben Up North is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbilz View Post
I'm headed up to FNQLD for Christmas to see the folks...
...if I get a chance, explore when I'm up there.

Cheers!
Hey pbilz, I'm up FNQ way myself, Northern Beaches of Cairns. I've only just started poking around up here off-road there's a hell of a lot to do up here if you like off road driving.
(what am I saying? Your're an ex 'lux owner and your folks live here - you've probably seen miles more tracks up here than me..!)
A fair proportion of the tracks might be closed though, because of the Wet.
Unread 28th November 2017, 03:54 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post

(Just realized from your pic that XTs must now be FMIC and not TMIC as in the past.)
I'm pretty sure TMIC... just no more bonnet scoop There's a plastic air duct sitting just under the bonnet lip directing air up there.

(excuse the pictorials... the engine bay was violated while I was re-inflating the tyres.)

@Ben Up North - other than cane-field headlands I never got to explore many 4x4 trails up north. I'll be around the Tully/Innisfail area. I was thinking of checking out the Misty Mountains trails up the Palmerston. I might make it up Cairns way. I discovered Emerald Creek outside of Mareeba last year, a little dirt road but a great spot. I'll be stopping in at Etty Bay a few times. I'll say hi to the Cassowary for you.
Unread 28th November 2017, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbilz View Post
I'm pretty sure TMIC... just no more bonnet scoop
Ahh - that's a bit boring isn't it!
Unread 3rd December 2017, 05:27 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2016
Subaru Man is on a distinguished road

Hi there pbilz.

As a fellow SJ driver I am sure you will continue to be happy. One major upside of getting a sump guard is that it GREATLY reduces the amount of sand in the engine bay. I have previously had my engine bay full of sand but after fitting a sump guard (with ventilation slots covered) I had virtually no sand in engine bay to speak of after a week on Fraser Island.

Highly recommended for this reason as well as the sump protection!

Last edited by Subaru Man; 3rd December 2017 at 05:28 AM. Reason: typo
Unread 3rd December 2017, 04:02 PM
Forum Member

@Subaru Man thanks for the tip! I was eyeing off the subaxtreme plate when I first took ownership, but I decided to wait and see whether the standard aluminium bash plate would hold up.

However if there's a better approach for sand management I'm keen to explore it. What bash plate did you end up going with?
Unread 3rd December 2017, 05:16 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2016
Subaru Man is on a distinguished road

Quite a few have sump guards made by David Wilson who is connected with the Subaru club in Victoria. I will PM you his number as you could give him a call. His plates are a very good alternative to the SubaXtreme plates. I specifically asked him to design the plate with the option to have ventilation slots that can be covered. Partly to stop sand and partly to stop spinifex grass from getting into the engine bay.