• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Vehicle X

O3FVgLGh.jpg
e2HGLbmh.jpg
Coming soon..

Hrw6j8H.jpg

Not quite sure what I'm going to do with it yet, Would look pretty wild with a lift and some muddies on it..
:monkeydance:

Approach angle's not the best, but the departure angle is not so bad (once the bumper gets ripped off)..!

Cool never saw those on my streets.

I just hope the gearbox is Ok. Otherwise I'll probably wreck it, which would be sad.
It's a bit of a clssic, would be awesome on the dirt, if the road's pretty flat..

They were very expensive when new!
"249 vehicles sold in Australia, at a cost between approx. A$73,000 to A$83,000."

Yeah I know! I paid a resonable bit less than a fiftieth of that. According to Redbook I'm quids ahead at the moment.

Even more importantly I've found a vid or two of them doing awesomely in dirt and mud. :cool:

"]Muddy Run Raceway Subaru SVX vs Jeep 2013 - YouTube

"]Subaru SVX showing it's muscles in the sand - YouTube

If the gearbox is bad, you just need to find another 4EAT with the correct ratio, it would be sad to wreck it because of that.

If the gearbox is bad, you just need to find another 4EAT with the correct ratio, it would be sad to wreck it because of that.

That what I was thinking. With a relatively rare body, you normally only wreck them when the body has succumbed to rust or body damage. These days even XD Falcons with a good body get good money. Good bodies are hard to find. Getting a going gearbox is cheap and straight forward.

Good bodies are hard to find. Getting a going gearbox is cheap and straight forward.

Well, the body doesn't look like it's seen any major damage, small ding on drivers door an possibly a very minor bump in the back (paint is peeling on the bumper)
No rust that I could see.

I've been reading that the early gearboxes had a major problem with overheating, but what your saying sounds like it isn't that much of a problem after all.

The interior's probably the shabbiest of the lot, and that's just worn. not tears in the leather, and the velvet is in remarkably good nick too! roof lining has come away a bit, which probably isn't so much of a problem as the sunroof is sticking so will probably need to come away to look at it properly.

Redbook says I should get a minimum of double what I paid for it if I traded it in, so I'm reasonably confident about the project at the moment.

Jack's got a buddy!

LRZ2dMah.jpg

Not that it's very goood, coudn't resist recording some audio of that EG33 goodness.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQfGLMSLOZI"]EG33 sound - YouTube[/ame]

It's awesome.

Edit: Got some nasty cancer in the sunroof mounting. Not sure what I'm gonna do about that, cut it out I guess and try and rebuild it. I imagine it's a pretty common problem with them, so probably not much chance finding a binged one with a decent sunroof. Especially considering only 249 of them made it here...

Last edited:
Couldn't resist posting this at full resolution, It's soo clean at the moment!
Edit. nope. it's too big, so here's a more reasonable size:

X6LOPRnh.jpg

here's a link to the full size:
Clean EG33

[MENTION=2617]NachaLuva[/MENTION] can you do a strut lift for an SVX? 2inches would be good, I reckon I can get 215/65/16s on it and still be just about legal and I'm pretty sure that in QLD any vehicle can have up to 50mm suspension lift.

Mad I know, but it could make an awesome 2 person tourer if I dragged a trailer behind it. not sure how to fit a snorkel though. :bananapartyhat:

That's awesome! So lucky to have a SVX, very nice!!! :monkeydance::monkeydance::monkeydance:

@NachaLuva can you do a strut lift for an SVX? 2inches would be good, I reckon I can get 215/65/16s on it and still be just about legal and I'm pretty sure that in QLD any vehicle can have up to 50mm suspension lift.
unfortunately I don't do a lift kit for the SVX. PM me, I might know someone who does

Current plans for the SVX:
I'm going to see if I can get a roadworthy on it.

if I can, I'll get it registered and drive it around for a bit.
If I can't I'm going have to sit on it until I can squeeze it into my mate's shed and start work.

Either way, I'm not going to restore it to original. I'm planning on turning it into a bush tourer, following the lead of 'Desertrunner' a fella down in NSW who has one or six of them, including a lfted one which he tours/rallys(?) with.

It's not goinng to happen quickly, but I'll keep updating this thread

Might even try to get Tony (Desertrunner) to pop his head in if I can get in contact with him, I think he's still an active Subaru-a in between selling his pickles.
a cached news article that mentiones a bit about what he's done here, unfortunately the orignal article is gone.

His profile lists his machine as:
1995 - SVX 700,000 K, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.

Last edited:
That's amazing, what a great find and great decision to go for it!
Congrats!

Sounds like a plan! Very excited to see how this build progresses :monkeydance:

I'm intrigued about the 6 speed with an R180 diff, because from what I've read the R180 is N/A for the 6 speed - but it was on the Internet, so it's probably not true.
Ugghhh, the internet strikes again lol. The 6 spd comes with the R180 rear diff, when fitting a 6spd into another Subaru, it's almost always done with a R180

Back