Jack's Journey, another Poverty Pack

Q2u5UhN (2).jpg
Jack is a one owner since new (me!) SG MY04 Forester X.
He's served us well over the years, mostly as a daily driver for SWMBO with a few camping trips towing a 7'x4' light off road camper trailer as well as board carrier and shuttle bus for the kids.
The last 18 months He's been reduced to Camper Trailer puller & Mal/Nipper (surf lifesaving) board carrier.
About 8 months back, SWMBO started raising discussions about trading Jack in on "Something Else" to the value of about $15 - 20ksecond hand, hiluxy sort of thing as she felt Jack was getting a little worn out.
This was to be used predominantly as a shuttlebus, camper trailer tower & board carrier mind you, but with a view to more adventurous touring..

With a little bit of effort, I managed to convince her that Jack was not in fact terribly worn out (backed up by the mechanic thankfully) but just needed a bit of a spruce up.

And thus the journey begins..

Last edited by a moderator:
New struts go in tomorrow. Ended going up with Pedders of all things. Mechanic reckons they're better quality than the KYB and Monroe are too exxy (Gabriels couldn't be sourced in time)

Here's a pic of how easily the (2 coats) of bedliner comes off (reasonably vigorous rubbing with an old towel)

uPcj1G6h.jpg

Might give that spot a bit of a sand with a bit of 120Grit and see how it sticks after that. If that doesn't work, I'll try some primer. It only seems to come off easily on the edges though - you can see another spot that I picked off (big globby bit) above and to the right that area seems to have taken much better.

The doors seem to have taken it quite well.

Planning on taking it to the carwash tomorrow after I pick it up from the mechanics and give it a go over with the water gun & brush to see how much I can blast off.

I might even create a new post about the whole experience so that others can learn from it (assuming I end up with a positive result!!)

Last edited:
For looks plastidip would be ok, not for offrading on mud rocks sand . if it scratches it would just peel off andnlook worse then before. For city carefull driving plastidip would be fine. Or if you drive so carefully that you never scratch rims.
I didi plastidip my front grill at first and it was so bad later as you need to touch grill everytime you open hood it was starting to peel off so i removed it and just painted it with simple cheap can spray black. Its fast and its holds and it takes you like 3 min to respray it if you need again.
Even bed liner stuff there are good stuff and there are bad stuff as even expencive ones like cobra are just for looks and its scratching so easy. Real bed liner for truck neds should hold very well if done properly .
Or just go to people who doing that and they will paint your car with it and give you warranty for that.

I think one of the tricks with the bed paint might be lots of coats (like they recommend for plastidip well I think thats what they were saying)

I've got to say, the texture coat stuff I put on the front bumper sticks well. but it's gritty as all shivers - a bit like sandpaper. not nearly as nice a look, especially considering I oversprayed it in a couple of spots (never paint in the dark! thats my learning for the day :)) will take a pic when I get the car back.

Last edited:
Those good ones must be as sand paper they kind harder to hand wash better just spray with water when dirty. You would bleed if you would slide oner it with hand or any exposed skin hard. It must be that rough and tough with very hard texture. But i like that.
And if you could show then what you was using on front bumper and what you did before painting with it? Did you sanded it?

Those good ones must be as sand paper they kind harder to hand wash better just spray with water when dirty. You would bleed if you would slide oner it with hand or any exposed skin hard. It must be that rough and tough with very hard texture. But i like that.
That's prett much what it's like

And if you could show then what you was using on front bumper and what you did before painting with it? Did you sanded it?
Same treatment as for the rear, just washed it down, dried then sprayed on.

New struts go in tomorrow. Ended going up with Pedders of all things. Mechanic reckons they're better quality than the KYB and Monroe are too exxy (Gabriels couldn't be sourced in time)

Hey Mate, how did the struts go ?
Get some pics of the new beasts?

I got a quote from Pedders and trust me if i could afford them i would have but kyb/kings where the cheaper alternative and with the money saved it nearly paid for my lift kit

Pedders wanted like $1350 for all 4 shocks and springs
Kyb/Kings combo was $940 " "

Let us know how they feel/ perform

1WD

thats still lots money for just struts ... for me at least. Kyb shocks with Kyb springs would be about 120-140 maybe for one. rears cheaper would be about 100 for shock and spring pair.

Hey Mate, how did the struts go ?

The pedders set me back $234 each, plus Bump Stops @ $50ea, $100.000 each to install.

thats still lots money for just struts ... for me at least. Kyb shocks with Kyb springs would be about 120-140 maybe for one. rears cheaper would be about 100 for shock and spring pair.

Converting Euros to AUD brings your 140EUR up to 220AUD, so about 10EUR less than you would pay at the top end.

KYB were more expensive than the Pedders by another $13AUD (8 EUR).

Not sure if the Pedders came with springs, but if not they sure cleaned the originals up (will finid out today!!

Again, one of the downsides to being 1,650 Kilometres from the nearest major population centre (Brisbane). Having said that, the prices on the Pedders was RRP for Australia (although I'm sure in BrisVegas, Syndey & Melbourne you could probably pick them up cheaper than RRP)

New struts in. Mechanic wanted me to give it a bit of a run for things to settle in and then bring it back in so he can check things over and do an alignment.

Lots less clunk now! apparently my sway bar linkages are getting a bit worn, which explains the remaining clunks.

He's still concerned that with the size of the lift I'll be splitting CV boots on a regular basis because of the angles. so he's now looking into getting longer axles for me (possibly custom he's going to have a chat to his guy that i think does the fabrication for his kids racing kart things)

He reckons that will put less strain on the boots?

I don't know whether it's just that we have lots of them up here, but he's always got at least one subaru in the workshop when I call in. the business has grown heaps over the years, getting busier & busier so maybe it's just the law of averages...

Mobile happy snap attempting to show a comparison between bed paint (sills) and textured bumper paint (front bumper )

DxDVqXC.jpg

I sanded the textured paint to get rid of the 'velvet' look, probably going to sand more then coat it in bed paint as well..

The textured paint sprays on well, sticks well, don't like the look and feel of the finish - it's like velvet made of sandpaper. A quick sand made it look much better!

The bed paint sprays on terribly, barely sticks to unsanded plastic (much better stick to lightly sanded) but looks the bomb. Going to throw a few more coats on it for added stick and protection, as well as to fill in all the gaps in the first coats!! it's globby stuff, tends to spray on as a heap of 'dots' requiring multiple coats to get the whole lote covered. Only needs 20mins (depending on weather) between coats.
quantities:

Front bumper easily covered by one can of textured paint.
Rear bumper & sides: two cans so far. Will probably throw at least another two on the car probably three. That should finish the sills/side bits and do the front bumper. Rear bumper could do with another coat or two, especially around the edges where the paintwork is.

Keeping in the tradition of Jack being a bit of a rat, I've managed to get a fair bit of spray on the bodywork going to give it a wash and cut and polish this weekend, see if it comes off at all.

At some stage a panel beater/spraypainter we know is going to give it a bit of a straighten on the worst bent panels (front left and right :p) and touch up the spots where paint has come off.

Probably not going to do anything to the bonnet, even though there's more than a bit paint coming off as it's aluminium. I was actually thinking of seeing how possible it would be to put the subaru logo into it by removing more of the paint! :monkeydance:

The products used:
Lww0ByJ.jpg

Nice work mate
I really like the bed paint
That’s my choice, and thanks for doing all these tests and putting it all up here for us to see.

1WD

I could get carried away with this stuff:

Perhaps this:

qZRXexB.png

Or this:

wA6VjtN.png

ohh i tried similar with plastidip before on my car. it was ok but started to peel off so i took it off
pixlr_20180316180334675.jpg

plastidip is best way to test something paint on car for look. just spray it on paint and then peel off when you bored or it doesnt look as good

Hmm..
Should put in the recent spends.
Bumper/Sills coatings. $67.00
Front Struts etc $750.00
One of theses days I'll start adding it up.
Bit of a week ahead, got to get a couple of things done I've been meaning to do for ages.
Off with the front!
rONRtSZh.jpg

xs7Lafhh.jpg

Been working on lights and snorkel.
First fit of both, now I have to take it all off and make it secure.
Hoping like jiminies that I haven't threaded the snorkel bolts. Didn't feel like it.
KHKOUPm.png

Cutting that big hole was scary stuff but went alright. It took me a few days to convince myself I was putting the hole in the right spot. I might adjust the snorkel ever so slightly down a bit at the front, as getting the hose on is an absolute doozy and I have a bit of lee way down on the snorkel hole (means making the mounting holes a bit elongated though)

After I get everything ready to go in place ithe car will be off to the painters for a bodge spray job to tidy up several spots where the paint has come off, and maybe a minor straighten to stop the passenger door grabbing occasionally.

Gee that pic is awful. I'll take a better one

Last edited:
Back