Essentials

One thing that most people forget, and most lists on 4X4 sites forget as well, is the jack base plate.

Essential item in soft conditions.

I cant speak for the modern army, but the army of the Vietnam era [and earlier] never went anywhere offroad without each vehicle carrying a jack base plate.

Hunk of hardwood about 50-70mm thick and about 350x350mm square will do the trick.

One thing that most people forget, and most lists on 4X4 sites forget as well, is the jack base plate.

I cant speak for the modern army, but the army of the Vietnam era [and earlier] never went anywhere offroad without each vehicle carrying a jack base plate.

Hunk of hardwood about 50-70mm thick and about 350x350mm square will do the trick.

Right you are! That'll stop a small problem from becoming a major headache. :iconwink:

In my army days (US Army, Air Cav), we did the same thing. Lots of Vietnam vets, including the equipment. They seem to like putting army units in swamps, and muddy areas in general, back then anyway. Now, it's all soft sand. Just as bad for sinking in. Less mess but more abrasive.

2" thick X 2' X 1' piece of plywood never leaves the back of my car. I think plywood is a better choice since a solid piece of wood is more likely to split. Not only for going off-road, but could save your arse on the road as well if the only safe place to change a tire is off the pavement.

Toilet Paper

Definite must have.

About 20 years ago, I picked up a camping toilet paper holder. It's a round green plastic box with a screw-on lid, and a retractable shaft. All just the right size for a full roll of TP. It's not waterproof, since it hasn't got a seal on the lid. But I've never had wet TP in the field since. I haven't seen them on sale for many years though.

Only problem is that it takes up slightly more room than a full roll. Plus, you can't flatten out the roll.

Yes, toilet paper is certainly less painful than gum leaves, whch can also be a real handful in more ways than one

I got myself one of those recovery bags that inflates off the exhaust, but probably should have just gone for the base plate idea and relied on the standard jack - much cheaper and more compact to carry. Frustratingly, when I got stuck in sand recently I had taken the bag out of the car just days before (needed the space)...first time I needed it, didn't have it, had to get towed out by a passing Toyota :o

This is pretty handy to have in the car all the time, especially if your car is lifted as the scissor jack in your car will prob run out of travel before you get the wheel off the ground, even worse if your sway bars are disconnected.

This might sound dumb but I live in the Inner West of Sydney - other than some servos, where do you get firewood from and how do you guys store it in your vehicles?

Personally, I take the trusty chainsaw and chop up what I can find. I go through too much wood to bring it with me. Roast dinners take a while to cook, as Dicknose found out last year. Previously I think he cooked his dinner with a cigarette lighter! :)

Frustratingly, when I got stuck in sand recently I had taken the bag out of the car just days before (needed the space)...first time I needed it, didn't have it, had to get towed out by a passing Toyota :o

Isn't it always the way :rolleyes:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Firewood can be pretty messy and it can damage your interior trim. Best to use a mesh basket on the roof rack and pick up some from beside the road when you get to the bush. BTW chainsaws in National Parks are a big no no!

Brian

Yes, which is why (amongst other things) National Parks are a big no no when it comes to camping and other activities

If I need firewood, I normally just pick a bag or 2 from a servo. It's just easier & more convenient that way.

Regards
Mr Turbo

I keep a stack of firewood behind the garage, I keep my co-workers on the lookout after storms. They bring it in, I cut, split and share when they go camping as well.

Back