close this forum?

Escher

Car Year
Car Model
Outback
Transmission
6MT
Real ORS guys don't clean their cars! :D

Why on earth do we have a forum about cleaning cars, much less "detailing" them? Close this thing down!

What about if you have a ding with some minor rusting and you need to know how to repair it?

I have to agree.

And as hoadie said, there's nothing better than going out, having a play in the dirt, then giving it a good clean, to make it all nice 'n' shiny again.

Regards
Mr Turbo

Real ORS guys don't clean their cars! :D

Why on earth do we have a forum about cleaning cars, much less "detailing" them? Close this thing down!

Welcome back Escher!!!:) I was about to send you an e-mail to let you know the forum was back, but now I don't have to.:iconwink:

After a bit of a play in the mud on my Brown Mountain trip...
50sm.jpg

On the way home I discovered an unpleasant surprise, when ever my A/C compressor kicks in I get this horrible squealing noise. Pretty sure it's just a cleaning issue, but it would certainly be a relevant topic in this forum...if it was a subie.

i guess it's not just about cleaning the dirt of the outside but the inside and engine bay aswell which is very important . for those who live on the coast and do beach driving , cleaning the outside is extreamly importantant as the salt will do it's work in no time at all. plus most of us like their cars off road and on, so having a clean car can be a reflection on us as well. i'm a bit of a sloth so mine is aways dirty, but she gets lots of attention where it counts. this forum is good so people can share their knowlage on products and proceedure:D

Alright, alright. Cleaning your car is great! Just not for me. (I've owned the MY06 for almost three years and aside from rain, it's never been cleaned.)

hehe...i get this a lot being a mod on DirtyImpreza.com. i love gettin' my car dirty, but i don't enjoy it being dirty 24/7. after an event or excursion, i'll leave the dirty for a week or so, then i've gotta wash to inspect for hazards/damage.

Thats another good reason to keep it clean, especially with the price of petrol these days. :eek:

Regards
Mr Turbo

A wash and good coat of wax also improves the drag coefficient and contributes to better fuel economy through less friction!

I tend to keep my vehicles for a good long time, and seeing the clearcoat peel off on all three of the SVX's we own/have owned ('92 x2 & '94), I realize that some exterior TLC is cheaper and less of a hassle than a new paintjob... :iconwink:

3 SVX's now? Geez Silke :lol:

No, just two currently. ;) The '94 was our first one and we sold it back in 2006 to help finance our wedding. Ironically the same lady who bought it gave us her old '92 for free last year because she was moving to OR. Unfortunately it hasn't moved an inch under its own power since then and basically serves to hold down the concrete RV parking pad. :) But all three have/had paint issues.

Actually, the paint issues on the '94 were solved when a body shop employee (who had a DUI and wasn't supposed to be driving) backed a company truck into her left quarter panel, and the body shop owner offered to fix the damage and repaint the entire car for free to keep it off his insurance record. :D

Muddin'

No more Muddin' for me!!! (unless, of course, it's un-avoidable;))

$10 at the car wash, $10 for engine cleaner and other cleaning goodies, 2hrs yesterday with engine cleaner and the hose (including cleaning the underside), 2 more hours today with the vacuum and other cleaning products.:rolleyes: A/C prob. mentioned earlier was a mud caked belt tensioner issue, cleaned and lubed now blowing nice cold quiet air.:)

Pretty clean now:bcool:, although I think I'll be finding mud from that mud puddle for a long time.

Looks and IS Fun!!! But just say NO!!!
40sm.jpg

Last edited:
OK - here's my method....

STEP #1) Go to Carlovers and get heaps of coins changed. Whilst waiting in the queue use the supplied wet brush and bucket to remove any caked-on mud. Do your wheeels, arches, tailgate, under bumpers etc. The more time you spend with this brush the better (and more effective) your car wash will be.

STEP #2) Go into the carwash section and select the basic wash option. When the car is filthy I then go back to STEP #1 to ensure that I haven't missed anything. Upon reaching Step2 for the second time I will usually select a Deluxe Wash & Wax.

STEP #3) Chamois, and chamois!

STEP #4) Vacuum interior and 'Armor-All' the dash.....glass cleaner the windows too!

STEP #5) If I'm not going offroad for a few months (then again how do you know?) I will then drive it back home and do a polish in the driveway to bring her right up.

Subies look so nice when they are all schmick.....it's a shame they go so well off road coz they get all mucked up again...

Subies look so nice when they are all schmick.....it's a shame they go so well off road coz they get all mucked up again...

And that it why a Subaru is so good. You can have the best of both worlds with just one car. :woohoo:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Back