Snatch strap

Thanks Ian059 for those profound words of wisdom.

You are correct. Mine also never leave the car. Although, with a little bit of shopping around, you don't have to pay top dollar for good quality straps ;)

i bought a tow2go brand(from super cheap auto), rated the best and cheapest by some 4WD magazine. used it once on the last Newnes trip and worked a bloody treat. most of the time all you need is a slight jolt and your out on your own anyway.

I remember that recovery (I think). Was it when we attempted that hill climb in the wet & ... well I'll let the pics tell the story.
img4409wf6.jpg

img4410up1.jpg

Ahh the memories.
Just a pity that the pics don't show the true steepness of that hill climb.:(

Just remember to always use an equalizer strap when performing a snatch strap recovery.

Regards
Mr Turbo

Last edited:
I seem to remember that I chickened out going up that hill & went around the other way. :rolleyes::o

Regards
Mr Turbo

Another thing to take is a newspaper.
It can be used for several things. Most importantly though, it can be used to secure 2x (or more) snatch straps together with.

Regards
Mr Turbo

Another thing to take is a newspaper.
It can be used for several things. Most importantly though, it can be used to secure 2x (or more) snatch straps together with.

Regards
Mr Turbo

OK, am I missing something here? :confused: How do you join snatch straps together with a newspaper?

BTW, a snatch strap is what we call a tow strap here in the US, right? :)

OK, am I missing something here? :confused: How do you join snatch straps together with a newspaper?

you dont actually join them together with the news paper. you use the news paper to stop the two straps from making an inseperable knot.
heres how it works get two snatch straps, each one has two ends which we will call endA and endB get strap1 and thread the endA of strap2 through the eyelet of endA on strap1. get endB of strap2 then thred that through endA of same strap (strap2)then pull endB and all of the strap thru, when the loop closes in, stick a rolled up newspaper or a 40-50mm thick stick in the loop then pull it tight. when the snatch is done it will be easier to pull apart the join. i hope i made this easy to understand:confused::confused::confused:

dont know. a tow strap is a ridgid strap used just for towing. a snatch strap has elasticity to it so it will strech and hopefully gently spring back and "snatch" you out

Last edited:

Mr. Turbo has put it correctly, two different things, even here in the US. Tow straps are much easier to find and can be had for a lot less$$$. Another big difference is usually a tow strap will have a loop on one end and a hook on the other. The hooks can be dangerous if used for recovery. If one comes loose or breaks, then it turns into a deadly projectile. They are better than nothing, it's all I have right now. You just don't want to actually 'snatch' (swift tug with some slack in the strap) with them, you are limited to a gentle pulling. If I ever use mine, I'll also wrap a rag or towel over the hook to act as a damper, so if it does let loose, it won't be quite as dangerous. (What I really need to do is come off of it and get myself a real snatch strap:rolleyes:)

Mr. Turbo, you've also just put yourself to work. Could you Please demonstrate the news paper method with photo documentation??? I've been curious about this for a long time now, and I've read several descriptions, but I'm still not quite sure. I know that I'm going to smack my self in the forehead and say 'duh, that's exactly what I thought', but until I actually see it I won't be able to do that.:)

heres a mini scale version i just made.

start with 2 straps.
DSC04078.jpg

thred 1 strap in the 2nd strap.
DSC04079.jpg

get one end of the second strap and thred it through the other end of it self.
DSC04080.jpg

pull the length of strap through near to the end and put a rolled up newspaper,stick or battery in this case.
DSC04081.jpg

put it evenly spaced and pull it tight so it wont fall out.
DSC04082.jpg

when you finished your recovery, you can just pull it out with out a knot looking like this.
DSC04083.jpg
:woohoo:

Thanks eden, that is exactly what I was looking for!!! Your time and effort are greatly appreciated.:) Now Mr. Turbo is off the hook.

You just beat me to it eden & I just finished taking the pics too.
Now I'll just go & pack the gear back up. :o;):iconwink:

Regards
Mr Turbo

sorry mate, didn't mean to steel your thunder.
No worries mate, it's all good. :D

were you doing the same thing
I just got the snatch strap & equalizer strap out, rolled up a newspaper, found the camera, took some pics & downloaded them. Then, by the time I got back to the computer, I saw your reply. :cool::cool:

or did you go out and get youre self bogged?:p:D
No mate, I didn't go adventuring to find some mud to get stuck in.
Too cold at that time of night to be doing a recovery :p

I just set it all up in the comfort of a nice warm lounge room :D:D

Regards
Mr Turbo

Said above - but important enough to repeat.

A tow strap is not a snatch strap.

There are plenty of straps with names such as tow, load, equalizer etc. These are all strong but designed for a constant load.
A snatch strap is elastic and designed to give a tug. Thing of it like a bungee cord. It stretches and you (relatively) slowly convert speed into pulling force.

Use an inelastic rope and instead you suddenly put huge forces on both vehicles and the rope. With luck the rope would snap - if not you are likely to tear bits off vehicles or twist chassis.
Imaging doing a bungee jump where it got to the bottom and just went "twang". I think they call that a hanging!

Back