Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratbag View Post
You need three things basically:
A trenching tool or similar;
An ice cream container or similar; and
A sheet of plastic about a metre on each side.
  1. Scoop out a shallow depression in the ground.
  2. Place a reasonable quantity of water bearing foliage into this depression.
  3. Place container in the centre of the depression.
  4. Place plastic over the top, holding each corner in place with either a convenient rock, or a few handfuls of soil, if rocks are scarce ...
  5. Place any convenient weight object in the middle of the plastic above the container underneath. This causes the condensate to run down the underneath of the plastic sheet into the container ...
  6. The hotter the day, the more the water collected. Don't use it for having a shower .
Hope this is complete ... It does work.
BTW, I have done the glove box letter you suggested for both our cars.
Can I add urinate on the foliage (NOT in the container!) It might sound a bit gross but will have no effect on the water quality in the container but will add to the volume. Or you can use bog water or river water if undrinkable. If in really dire straits, this method can be used to distill coolant. Basically anything with water in it!

Also I would say if you seal all around the plastic sheet it will seal in the moisture & prevent evaporation, increasing yield. Best way is to use sand or soil.

Last edited by mr turbo; 2nd January 2012 at 07:18 AM. Reason: split post to half here & other half to Aids to Survival Guide