mr turbo

Emeritus Forum Staff and Founders' Friend
Car Year
MY17
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
manual
Last w-end, myself & a few of the Subaru & Recreation 4wd Club members took a trip to Abercrombie NP.
There was plenty of tracks to explore & heaps of 4wding that got the adrenalin & heart pumping :biggrin: aswell as some magic views all around that just took your breath away.

One particular hill climb was extremly steep (as you'll see by the pics) & I'm glad to say I made it all the way to the top in one go :woohoo:

I think the only way to explain these hills (both up & down) together with the rest of the trip is by showing you the pics.
Enjoy.:ebiggrin:

Our campsite, Silent Creek
img7506b.jpg

The long steep hill climb
lq7x7760.jpg

Troy at one of our stop breaks
img7556.jpg

One of the magic views
lq7x7833.jpg

One of the huts used by stockmen
img7515.jpg

Getting the new ORS sticker dirty
img7572.jpg

More pics of the trip can be found here

Regards
Mr Turbo

That looks like a top trip! We might keep that in mind for a future ORS trip eh?

It was a great trip alright :discomonkey: And I'm sure that a ORS trip can be arranged for there at some stage in the not too distant future :biggrin:

It would have to be an over nighter camp though, as there is plenty to see & lots of driving to do, as it is such a vast area. By the time I got home, I'd clocked up 569km's with 221km's of that being on the dirt. :woohoo:
On each occasion I've been there (this was my 4th time) :) it just gets better & better :biggrin: And I can't wait to go back there again, as it would have to be my favourite destination. :ebiggrin:

nice trip Damo. was the one out off the book or a make your own way?
Eden, we basically followed the book (4wd treks close to Sydney), but we also drove some of the other trails that are not highlighted aswell.

IE: Middle, Retreat, Brass Walls, Ball Hill & Black Hill trails, just to name a few. ;)

Also while we were there, we checked out "The Beach & the Sink" just for good measure. :biggrin:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Wow. Jealous! That's some incredible scenery.

Gonna ask a probably stupid question here, but I think that hillclimb would've stopped me in my tracks. N/A 5MT, any suggestions on how to tackle something like that? I've made shorter hill climbs that were that steep with the help of momentum, but I don't think I could make something that long!

No, not stupid - just get an auto :raspberry: (we know you really want one!) Even a dual range manual would help a little.

You're right though - the NA AT's can do it without trouble (I usually go on that trip but had other committments this time). Damian can do it - XT MT. But as you can see by the pics, he really has to launch and attack it. I'm not sure how much advantage the turbo is under these circumstances, i.e. has it spooled up? Mr Turbo can probably tell us.

Care to fund me to get an AT? Oh no, even better, send me a dual range transfer case. Please.

That's the biggest bugger around here. All the trails are STEEP. And I can't get up most of them without frying my clutch.

Gonna ask a probably stupid question here, but I think that hillclimb would've stopped me in my tracks.
As Kevin said, there's no such thing as a stupid question. Because if you don't ask, you'l never know, & thats how we all learn.

Damian can do it - XT MT. But as you can see by the pics, he really has to launch and attack it.
The 1st thing I did was to pic the line that I wanted to drive. Once that was chosen, I launched & attacked it. Making sure I had enough power to get up, without over doing it.

I'm not sure how much advantage the turbo is under these circumstances, i.e. has it spooled up? Mr Turbo can probably tell us.
Yes, the turbo does have an advantage, due to the extra power, but it also has a disadvantage also; too much power.

On this hill, the turbo has spooled up, but only just. I was in 1st gear, & had the revs sitting around the 2800-3200 rpm. If you let the revs get too high (4000+ rpm) you have to back off the power a little, because you will start to wheel spin & loose traction. However, you can't back it off too much . If you do, you will loose your momentum & only make it part of the way up.

In short, I find a happy medium, & keep the revs as even as possible. But hey, thats just me, & so far so good, it's worked well for me.

You're right though - the NA AT's can do it without trouble (I usually go on that trip but had other committments this time).

Yes, thats true, our group leader that day was in a stock MY06 Auto. Apart from a bash plate of course.

Regards
Mr Turbo

I think the non turbo manuals are better than the turbo manuals in steep conditions. For the turbo to spool up and actually have boost you need a bit of load- or anti lag/launch control.

i think we should settle this little "discussion" once and for all.
we have to organize a trip with a: manual w/low range, auto, a turbo manual and a turbo auto.

so...........who is the king off the mountain?

who's in?

....although sometimes you can momentarily loose forward motion

_1279203copy.jpg

onebob

"old enough to know better - young enough to do it again"

Last edited:
HILLS...!

Auto's eat 'em!!
Yes I agree. An auto on a hill climb will win every time.

i think we should settle this little "discussion" once and for all.
we have to organize a trip with a: manual w/low range, auto, a turbo manual and a turbo auto.

so...........who is the king off the mountain?

who's in?

I'll put my hand up, so count me in. :twisted:

Regards
Mr Turbo

I have to say, when we did the off-road course last year, there was one hill I couldn't get up in the auto. Really loose gravel at the top, chewed up by the other five cars in front. I perhaps could've reduced the tyre pressure a bit more as I was only down to 30psi. Still, I took the hill next to it (which was supposed to be harder and for real 4x4's only) without even spinning a wheel.

Back