• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Rear Cargo area draws and shelves... Who's got em?

SKT

Rear cargo draws and shelves..... Who's got em....???

Kevin I know you've got em....????

I am doing this and would like to see what others have done.
What others would have done differently.
What are the possible cons.... like not being able to get to the spare wheel well etc....
Did you make it or have it made to be easily removable from the car? As I plan to do

I'm particularly interested in measurements. Mostly the height of the drawers and the height of the fridge if you have one.
And regarding the fridge. I am not sure whether want the fridge on sliders yet. I would like it on sliders but I also want the drawer/box to be removable and I fear that when I slide the fridge out it will try and lift the front (being towards the front of the car) edge up. I am guessing I can secure it somehow but again I want it all to be fairly quick release in some way.

I got from your mod list Kevin that Offroad Systems do some nice gear including selling premaid drawers for self installing. I am thinking of building myself.

Kevin you've also mentioned a guy that makes setups......???

Cheers all...

Last edited:
I've got em. Same as Kevin's.

I think you will need the fridge on sliders. Can't get into the fridge very easy without it. Makes it alot easier too than just having the fridge tied in the back without any shelves.

I think the height is 200mm. The 40L engel just fits on top with the slide.

hey, ii made my own a few weeks ago, i'll post some pics soon, cost me about 150 all up i think

Here are my drawers

Here is my storage arrangement. On top of my shelf I have a couple of plastic drawers (from Bunnings) strapped down with webbing. And on top of the drawers I put my square plastic basin. Below the shelf I store all my little/loose stuff, pots & pans, Dutch oven, crockery, chairs, etc. I have a piece of of aluminium angle bolted either side so my table and gas cooker stand can slide in there as well. I tie this all down with webbing straps.

I didn’t want to loose any width, so I bought some wire shelving (comes in various lengths and is L shaped) from Bunnings which I bent at 225mm by
clamping it to the edge of the workbench with one piece of wood on top and used another piece to bend it up. I used 25mm aluminium strap (which fits inside the existing factory bend) to attach the wire to a plywood top by screws and Nylok nuts.

I initially only made it as deep as the Waeco but have subsequently made another small section to fit. This piece was more of a challenge as the floor on the Subaru angles up and the bend needs to compensate to give you a flat surface on top, subsequently the front is 210 mm and the back is 225 mm.

Other mods in the last photo include

• Paper towel holder - elastic cord through the centre of the paper towel roll and attached to the baby seat anchors on the roof.

• Oztrail UFO light velcroed on to the tailgate where the high level brake light is.

• Small elastic net (red) hooked onto the rear seat hand grips on the roof and the baby seat anchors on the roof. Good spot to put towels/bathers to dry.

• Small shelf that hooks onto the tailgate latch.
  • Shovel supported by a bracket attached to the handle of the Waeco and held in place by a webbing strap.
regards Pecky
T

Attachments

• Shelf support 1.jpg
    Shelf support 1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 231
  • Fwd shelf support 1.jpg
    Fwd shelf support 1.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_7605.jpg
    IMG_7605.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_2727.jpg
    IMG_2727.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 284
118049acd96575201.jpg

118049acd9659de64.jpg

118049acd965c052e.jpg

And here is the same but a little different.

RES03064.JPG

Draws sit a little lower.

RES03066.JPG

Fridge slide comes out and can open the fridge with light above on tailgate.

RES03067.JPG

Use baby seat strap extension to hold up draws. Just slips over screw.

Nice looking set ups there. thanks for the effort of putting the pics up. Did you have a custom job done? or is it a kit type generic assembly? Rough cost if you don't mind me asking and source of draws? I'm seeing ORS stickers on the fridge draw, was the whole lot from them?

^ yep, ORS - Offroad Systems at Narellan. The drawers are originally Prado or Pajero I think (Troy can confirm). The adaptation included the design of the hinged support bar at the front of the drawers and trim pieces to fit flush with the tailgate.

I note they now have a "super-light" option which would appeal to us.

https://offroadsystems.rtrk.com.au/?scid=4221&kw=3859324

Wow ORS has some nice looking stuff! I like the idea of adding drawers in the rear, but for me it would take away too much headroom from my dogs. Someday I hope to tear out the rear seats and do the "wagon" conversion like the guys in Denmark can get. Now that's awesome!

I've sent an email to ORS with the question "I'm wondering what is the weight difference between what I have now and the new aluminium casing? And how much would it cost to convert?"

I sent an email to ORS requesting price on there items, see the reply conversation below:
I haven't yet asked what he means as "Current model forester". I'll be on the mainland in a few months and it will follow it up more then.

G'day Chris
We don't currently have a price list up for Subaru's because we have not yet updated the price list yet from the old list.
If you are after a current model Forester we have not yet done one and would need your vehicle in our workshop for one full day to make templetes etc. we can do a drawer for the older model Forester.
the cost for a 2 drawer in most Subaru's is around $1800 for a 2 drawer in Superlight Aluminium.
Regards
Brendan Jones
OffRoad Systems
14 Orielton Rd
Smeaton Grange
N.S.W 2570
Ph: (02) 46 476 322
Fax: (02) 46 476 315

On 27/02/2009, at 10:29 PM, Chris Hampton wrote:

Hi,
Was trying to download the price list and photos for you products for Subaru’s but, when clicking the link, it says the document can not be found.

Are you able to email it to me directly? *Or let me know when the link might be fixed.

Many thanks,
Chris.

Pretty sure they mean the new 09 Forester shape.

Your model would be the same as Kevin's and mine which would be the older model forester.

I've just been scrolling thru this website, Dolium, after user Hoadie linked it regarding long range fuel tanks on another thread.

Came across these draws down the bottom of the page.
I like the idea of a comparmentalised draw system. Down the bottom of the page there's a set which has 4 'boxes' and weighs only 38kg.

I wonder if Kevin or Troy would be nice enough to do a quick measure of there draws so we can compare to to these?

they don't mention they would suit a Forester so i'll send them an email and see what they say, but given it the list of vehicles they say it'll fit i don't think it'd take much to adapt to our Foz's.

Here's a teaser pic:
rd07kd-2%20etch.jpg

Further investigation and i like the look of Item No. RD02K. that top 'shelf' that can slide out is a great idea. instant table.

Last edited:
Another draws dealer

In my searching i came across this company based out of Victoria.

Best Off Road

I haven't heard any direct reviews about them, anyone heard of or used them?

Prices seem very good compared to any others. I'll set up an Excel doc with all the spec of the three different types that i know of an post up a link so that everyone can see what might suit them best.

A day of farnarcling about

ORS diy set 750x780x200 (they still have one left cheap) , 40l Evacool, 75ah AGM battery all on ply pallet and secured to factory tiedowns. Both rear seats still usable, LHS one notch more upright. Don't plan to add more ply coz they weigh enough already.

Attachments

• P5090006.JPG
    P5090006.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 205
  • P5090007.JPG
    P5090007.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 186
Back