Snorkel Fitted

troyXT

Forum Member
After seeing benwarn's Foz with the snorkel, I though I would do the same now the XT is out of warranty.
After a few emails to benwarn to see what I was in for, I took the plunge and got the TJM snorkel. $450 - not too bad I suppose.

RES02910.JPG

The main thing I was worried about was the inner guard ducting and how much room I would have cause there really isn't much room in there. Probably the reason why most snorkels are on the outside of the front guard.

First up, measure and work out where to cut the guard. (oh and get someone to help :D )

RES02915.JPG

To get the guard off though meant removing the headling on the 06 model, this in turn meant removing the bullbar. :rolleyessarcastic:

No problems.

Cut big hole in side of car :eek:, check for placement, adjust size of hole. Then using their template drill bolt holes.

Attach snorkel to side of car.

RES02916.JPG

Fit back to car to see how things line up.....hmm needs some adjustment.

Finally get things looking right after moving snorkel up more on the guard.

RES02917.JPG

The fit of the snorkel had the head laying down towads the roof line. We heated the snorkel up and gently twisted it to get the head to be more parallel with the roof.

Next step is make up the ducting and shape it to fit in the guard.

We used a 90mm PVC pipe which fitted on the snorlel end and back inside the airbox with a little remodeling with a heatgun.
The PVC pipe was then heated, bent and squashed to fit in the guard. The black bit of the snorkel also need some remodeling to fit the guard back on.

RES02919.JPG

Once guard back in place and all pipe work in place, remove dor trim and drill hiles in pillar.

RES02922.JPG

Fit everything back on car.

RES02927.JPG

All was good ... except we couldn't fit the inner wheel guard.

After looking around for something else the following week, we found a piece of flexible pipe that would hopefully squash up into the guard and not restrict airflow too much.

RES02933.JPG

Here is a shot showing how little room there is in the guard - taken through the headlight hole.

RES02936.JPG

So now its allin and fits pretty good.

RES02941.JPG

RES02944.JPG

Thanks benwarn for the images and info of your install, they were very helpful.

:woohoo:now you can come swimming with the rest of us! Have you fitted a radiator fan switch yet?

:woohoo:now you can come swimming with the rest of us! Have you fitted a radiator fan switch yet?

How come you didn't tell him about the diff breathers Kev?
You getting old and forgetful like me mate?

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Very nice! Looks like a fair bit of work to re-plumb everything eh? I'd love a snork for my Foz. Ah well, I'll keep dreaming a bit longer...

yeh i ended up using a bit of clear flexible pvc hose 50mm diameter, and from the black snorkel pipe i used a 90 to 50 mm converter. but hey each way worked! Looks awesome.

:woohoo:The snorkel looks sweet Troy :rock: :rock: Well done mate

That is a good question mate.
If you don't have that mod mate I would highly recommend that you get it done. :)

How come you didn't tell him about the diff breathers Kev?
You getting old and forgetful like me mate?

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I do believe that Troy has breathers installed for both the front & back. :iconwink:

Regards
Mr Turbo

look'n good.:cool:

was that the first time you bent plastic pvc pipe? :lol:

a little tip for any else doing this with pvc or any plastic pipe is to fill it with fine sand first.

I do believe that Troy has breathers installed for both the front & back. :iconwink:

I do thanks to Mr Turbo.

I will have to look at the fan switch at some stage. In the mean time looking at the water temp on Scanguage gives me a pretty good idea when it will kick in.

benwarn said:
yeh i ended up using a bit of clear flexible pvc hose 50mm diameter, and from the black snorkel pipe i used a 90 to 50 mm converter. but hey each way worked! Looks awesome.

Yeah I looked at that but was trying not to restrict the air too much for the turbo. THe black piece actually goes from a 90mm diameter to 65mm. Its the 90mm area that is squashed more, then it connects to a 65mm to 90mm converter then into the airbox.

I was thinking about the hole for the water drainage. Drove in the rain almost all the first week, but didn't find any tace of water when we took it all apart to do again.

I thing I also did once the snorkel was fitted to mine was to reset the ecu.

There are 2 ways to do it.
1. Take it to a stealer & have them do it :shake: ... or
2. Take the battery leads off for a few hours (over night) Then when you put the battery leads back on (next morning) drive it like you stole it for about a week or so :lildevil:

I took the 2nd option when I reset mine. The only down side was having to reset the clock & radio when you put the leads back on. :o

Regards
Mr Turbo

yeh i spose the turbo would need some more air. I was driving through some rain the other day that i actually couldnt see where i was going and i was glad i had the little hole!!!!, also good when yuo wash the car!!

Troy... mate... Brilliant!!!

Have you any pics of the interface with the snorkus box? Or have you go it piped straight up to the air filter inlet?

Did you remember to paint the holes cut/drilled with some rust inhibitor?

What have you noticed with the ScanGuage °CAI reading (air intake temp?)

I am glad you went next, now I have your guide to follow :ebiggrin:

SWEET:discomonkey:

Troy... mate... Brilliant!!!

Have you any pics of the interface with the snorkus box? Or have you go it piped straight up to the air filter inlet?
The pvc pipe fits straight into the air filter box and is siliconed in. We had to taper the 90mm pipe a bit to fit in there good.

Did you remember to paint the holes cut/drilled with some rust inhibitor?
Yes, I pus some rust inhibiton on, I was going to paint it but didn't get the paint til afterwards

What have you noticed with the ScanGuage °CAI reading (air intake temp?)
Not much, possibly a little cooler but havent really done a before and after comparison.

Last edited:
After looking at the difference between the outside temp guage and the Air intake temp is usually 3-5 °C different when cruising, when stopped it starts to climb though as expected. Not sure how that compares with pre snorkel or with your setup.

I have noticed that the difference in temperature between the outside temp and that of the "under the bonnet" air intake is between 15 to 20 degrees.

Back