Victorian Bushfires

I have no time at all for arsonists. If they get a thrill out of watching fires and the destruction they cause- tie them to a tree in the way of a bushfire and see how much he enjoys it then.

Couldn't agree more. :furious: :furious::furious::furious:

At least that way, there would a few less :censored: :censored: scum bags in this world that we would have to worry about !!!

Regards
Mr Turbo

this is a truly tradgic situation. those poor buggers didn't know what was coming:cry:. my thoughts and prayers go to all those affected. God bless you all and God bless all the brave men and women battling the fires. a big thanx to our Amercian friends who have started the journey across the pond to help us out.

Stay safe....

Stay safe Beigewagon...... I've experienced a 'burnover' and afterwards never complained about the out of season self protection drills that always seemed to coincide with frosty winter days.....stay safe mate!

onebob (ex Langwarrin RFB)

Ha! Langy - the new CFA "shed"(it's very nice) is about 700m up my street! Yep I'm in Langwarrin - been here for about 16 years now. A friend of ours is a dispatcher/co-ordinator there - Vicky Adams.

I'm the President of the WRX Club here in Victoria and the toll in the Club so far is one house and a Vetinary Clinic in Kinglake.
Gippsland Car Club has lost at least 3 Club Members:cry:

Hi again Les, I've been out of it for a quite while now. I never 'turned out' from the 'new' shed. Development in the Frankston - Cranbourne corridor and relocation of the station saw my turn out times blow out from 6 mins to 20 mins over a 7 year period. That situation meant that I couldn't remain on the 'active list' so i stepped out!

I know of 1 funeral i'll be attending - he was also a Subaru enthusiast, the family owned 5 if i remember correctly. I've noticed a couple of burned out OB's on the news footage and i wonder.................. but try to put it out of my mind.

cheers ... Robert

The Australian Red Cross is one of the organisations assisting. https://www.redcross.org.au/vic/services_emergencyservices_victorian-bushfires-appeal-2009.htm

The Bendigo Bank also has an appeal for both the Victorian bushfires and the Queensland floods https://www.bendigobank.com.au/public/specials/bushfire_appeal_feb09.asp

The Salvation Army has its appeal https://www.salvationarmy.com.au/partners/donate.asp?oneoff=yes

as does St Vincent de Paul
https://www.vinnies.org.au/show_appeal.cfm?table=appeals&parentid=0&id=63

Latest death toll is now over 180, could rise to 300 as many homes have not yet been searched. Marysville may have lost 20% of its population

Frogstar 7055, there are a lot of aussies who feel the same way towards all the volunteers. Including me. The fires are still raging, towns are still under threat. Interstate volunteers still heading in to help out. The Australian bush can be a killer (especially when the powers that be do not allow hazard reduction). But Aussie volunteers are the best of the best. They proved it as soldiers, they prove it again as SES volunteers and firefighters.

normally on a hot day when driving you would wind down the window and enjoy the cooling breeze - see below for the image that i snapped whilst driving home last thursday or friday

Image046.jpg

onebob - Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Terrible loss. I was off the air for a bit and heard today over 1050 homes lost. Considering this is not suburbia and just country towns that is staggering. What is even more staggering is the fact that no fuel burn offs were allowed. The CFA in one LGA asked council on 11 different occassions for hazard reductions- all refused. Now everything gone. Will have to call the Greens the Blacks. One farmer did his own hazard reduction and was fined $100,000. Not surprisingly, the fires did not claim his home. I think we need to apportion blame in equal parts politicans and arsonists.

Terrible loss. I was off the air for a bit and heard today over 1050 homes lost. Considering this is not suburbia and just country towns that is staggering. What is even more staggering is the fact that no fuel burn offs were allowed. The CFA in one LGA asked council on 11 different occassions for hazard reductions- all refused. Now everything gone. Will have to call the Greens the Blacks. One farmer did his own hazard reduction and was fined $100,000. Not surprisingly, the fires did not claim his home. I think we need to apportion blame in equal parts politicans and arsonists.

i read this and thought that you guys were not that tightly regulated. The most highly green state we have here is California, and by law you have to keep a buffer zone, otherwise you can't really get insurance.

i find it criminal that common wild fire prevention tools were considered illegal. What the hell were these people thinking? Its been proven that good simple buffer zones can make a differnce in saving lives, and even porperty.

im on the otherside of the planet and i am pissed at them for this, i can only imagine how the good citizens of Austrailia must feel.

Cheers Nipper,

Most of the country is, I thnk, just getting over the shock- only now does the questioning begin. Unfortunately, we have had enquiries before and the findings were ignored. Political expediency wins out every time. The green vote in our system is very powerful- with preferential voting the major parties have much to gain by keeping them on side. It is not known how many greenies were saving trees by their membership to the CFA in Victoria or the RFS in NSW.

What I do know is that they have been behind the moves to turn state forrests into national parks, which means their uses (camping, exploring) for the likes of me are greatly reduced.

Cheers Nipper,

Most of the country is, I thnk, just getting over the shock- only now does the questioning begin. Unfortunately, we have had enquiries before and the findings were ignored. Political expediency wins out every time. The green vote in our system is very powerful- with preferential voting the major parties have much to gain by keeping them on side. It is not known how many greenies were saving trees by their membership to the CFA in Victoria or the RFS in NSW.

What I do know is that they have been behind the moves to turn state forrests into national parks, which means their uses (camping, exploring) for the likes of me are greatly reduced.

Wow i am really shicked. Here state forests and US forests are pretty ,uch open all year round, with planned forestry (they do the best they can) and luckily the enfiormetalists here are kept in check. When it comes to fire even the envio's know that good management is better then burning down the entire forest. We also have the BLM (brueau of land managemnt) for unregulated lands.

This makes our system look first rate. It sometimes takes a huge tragedy to get them to change thier minds, too little too late. When we have forest fires, houses are actually saved by proper management. I cant beleive someone fined a farmer for cleaering his own land. IN the suburbs you need a permit to remove a tree, unless its a fire danger, sick, or falling down. Fire danger to public property and private is always an exception.

It's just so sad to keep reading and reading all the sadness. I hope someone takes these idiots out to show them the damage, and the people that have passed, then kick them the hell out of office.

nipper

And makes us look a lot worse than second rate. The Aboriginies know more about the land land management than anyone. They used to always do their own version of hazard reduction. We ignore their experience at our peril. Australian bush needs fires to survive. Gum trees can generally survive most bushfires, and their seeds only open up and germinate after a fire. The crazy thing is we have the worst conditions in the world for bushfires. The oil in the gum trees burns- well, like you'd expect oil to burn. We should be leading the world in this stuff, but we don't. Nowhere near it. I am sure the victims out there in Victoria appreciate your concerns and from what I have seen on the telly, many share your anger. I live near a national park as well. Different state, same stupid mentality.

Latest update- now over 1850 homes lost.

I really don't know what to say...I'm sad for all the folks who lost loved ones and/or homes.:cry:

Angry at anyone who might have deliberately contributed to these horrible fires.:mob:

My news feed has somewhat diminished, are all the fires out or at least under control now?

Back