• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Taza's blown AWD gearbox self-hijacked thread

Interesting. What are the final drive ratios for both cars? I must try and remember to see what the Forrie is like on full throttle from 80 in 5th. The Forrie is no rocket ship, but the speed of the L surprises me as when we have been on trips with L's before, the poor old thing really struggled and could not keep up. I think we all like the L's. After spending a day in one as a passenger it is hard not to be impressed.

Yes they are an impressive car, too bad Subaru didn't make 'great cars' in todays world. Only average cars, nothing special or unique.

The L is 3.7 diff ratios and the Outback is 3.9. The Outback has slightly larger all terrain tyres(16" rims) and the L has stock 13" rims and tyres (probably part of the reason why it goes so well). It was very slightly pulling away from the Outback from 80km/hr to 105km/hr :biggrin: An EJ22 L would with the 13's would easily be Commodore quick :lildevil:

Gidday Taz

No way would I even start to put my '93 Impreza in the same category as my MY06 Fox. The Fox will even start from a dead halt in third, somewhat uphill ... Did it accidentally yesterday :redface:!

The Impreza would have just died. Wouldn't have even done it in second!

Roo2 gets up to 160 km/h with alarming rapidity!
AND that's just accelerating from 100 in fifth, HR.
In low range, it's like a flaming rocket!

I have no idea how fast it will actually go, but I suspect that it would be considerably over 200 km/h. Struth mate, that's over 125 miles an hour! I have seen the figure of 210 km/h bandied about, and that's around 130 mph!! For a fridge on wheels, baby SUV? Mate, that's far faster than most "sports cars", even some of the serious grunt muscle machines of my youth weren't that fast!

AND the handling, brakes, suspension and steering are infinitely superior to most of them as well!

My Impreza would do about 170+ km/h with a tailing wind, and a bloody good run up ... :ebiggrin:.

With the "new" trailer on behind Roo2 (must weigh at least 300 kgs unladen now), I just don't even notice it there. Have to keep checking that I haven't "lost" it, LOL :lol:.

Gidday Taz

No way would I even start to put my '93 Impreza in the same category as my MY06 Fox. The Fox will even start from a dead halt in third, somewhat uphill ... Did it accidentally yesterday :redface:!

The Impreza would have just died. Wouldn't have even done it in second!

AND that's just accelerating from 100 in fifth, HR.
In low range, it's like a flaming rocket!

I have no idea how fast it will actually go, but I suspect that it would be considerably over 200 km/h. Struth mate, that's over 125 miles an hour! I have seen the figure of 210 km/h bandied about, and that's around 130 mph!! For a fridge on wheels, baby SUV? Mate, that's far faster than most "sports cars", even some of the serious grunt muscle machines of my youth weren't that fast!

AND the handling, brakes, suspension and steering are infinitely superior to most of them as well!

My Impreza would do about 170+ km/h with a tailing wind, and a bloody good run up ... :ebiggrin:.

With the "new" trailer on behind Roo2 (must weigh at least 300 kgs unladen now), I just don't even notice it there. Have to keep checking that I haven't "lost" it, LOL :lol:.

I might actually make a video of one of my daily driving trips to show how bad it is. It's pretty appalling. When you rally around in it, its alright but just normal driving it's horrible down low. The 2.5 is 50% better down below 3000rpm than what the 2.0l is, well it in my car.

When I first got my Foz I was determined to to test out the top speed. Got her upto 198km/hr, well so the speedo said. Never again, it was pretty freaky at that. 150-170km/hr feels pretty sturdy on a straight when overtaking. After 170km/hr it was pretty darn slow getting up from there. Before the bigger tyres she would quite easily go in 5th from 110-150km/hr. Now your pushing to get to 140km/hr in 4th when trying to overtake and the only real difference is bigger (much heavier too) tyres, lift (wouldn't affect speed), stuffed gearbox (shouldn't affect speed) and the burning oil is much worse.

I reckon the 2.5 would do 210ish km/hr. Pretty good for a 4 cylinder non turbo though :raspberry:

When stock I did one trip out bush too and sat on 140km/hr for the whole 4hour trip. Got 500km to the tank right as the light came on, when doing this she was sitting at 4000rpm the whole time.

I might actually make a video of one of my daily driving trips to show how bad it is. It's pretty appalling. When you rally around in it, its alright but just normal driving it's horrible down low. The 2.5 is 50% better down below 3000rpm than what the 2.0l is, well it in my car.

Yeah. The Fox weighs 20% more than my Impreza (1.8L), and has 60% more KW and about 54% more torque. And as you rightly say, the torque of the 2.5L N/A is very strong from about 1500 rpm onwards. Bit like driving a 4.2L E-Type Jag, really; with a bit less grunt, LOL.

When I first got my Foz I was determined to to test out the top speed. Got her upto 198km/hr, well so the speedo said. Never again, it was pretty freaky at that. 150-170km/hr feels pretty sturdy on a straight when overtaking. After 170km/hr it was pretty darn slow getting up from there. Before the bigger tyres she would quite easily go in 5th from 110-150km/hr. Now your pushing to get to 140km/hr in 4th when trying to overtake and the only real difference is bigger (much heavier too) tyres, lift (wouldn't affect speed), stuffed gearbox (shouldn't affect speed) and the burning oil is much worse.

The lift will effect both top speed and acceleration. Changes the ground effect characteristics of the car.

I reckon the 2.5 would do 210ish km/hr. Pretty good for a 4 cylinder non turbo though :raspberry:

You're not flaming wrong there, mate! :lildevil:

When stock I did one trip out bush too and sat on 140km/hr for the whole 4hour trip. Got 500km to the tank right as the light came on, when doing this she was sitting at 4000rpm the whole time.

I think I'm doing around 2600 rpm at 100 km/h in HR, 5th. That would be around 3700 rpm at 140 km/h. The Fox is considerably higher geared than my Impreza was.

Since the Fox maxs out for KW at around 6000 rpm, it should theoretically be good for around 228 km/h. I believe it might be speed limited to around 210 km/h though.

Since the Fox maxs out for KW at around 6000 rpm, it should theoretically be good for around 228 km/h. I believe it might be speed limited to around 210 km/h though.

Wanna test that :lol:

After doing some calculations your Fox has 50% more power per tonne than my Foz. That explains quite alot!

You have 92kW per tonne while I have about 61Kw per tonne. I only have 92kW in total (when new, probably around 85-90 now). Plus 50Nm more torque.

Wanna test that :lol:

After doing some calculations your Fox has 50% more power per tonne than my Foz. That explains quite alot!

You have 92kW per tonne while I have about 61Kw per tonne. I only have 92kW in total (when new, probably around 85-90 now). Plus 50Nm more torque.

Our poor lil Fozzies lol. We huff and we puff and we make it up that hill :rotfl:

And here comes the Anti L series patrol - got jackets yet??

Did someone get outdone on the freeway by an L series recently?? It must have been downhill with a tail wind!

Really I think someone's jealous of the L series :twisted:

Cheers

Bennie

Hey thats unfair, i never said i was against the L series.

I love the L, if i had a lot more mechanical knowledge and could do it over again i would have bought and done up an L instead of having my current car.

And i dont know where you heard i got outdone on the freeway by an L but thats never happened. :confused:

EDIT: Oh i see Taza making things up on the previous page. It didnt out pull me in 5th we were dead heat till 95 then i pulled away as the revs reached a higher power band. Not to down play that achievement but, its brilliant for a 1.8 carby. :)

Last edited:
i have said it before i perfer driving my old 1989 brumby over my foz. it may be less comfy but it just feels special.... i actually hope that when i finish uni i will just use the brumby as my every day car rather then a forester.

and yes our little 2.0l forester are under powered, i had mine up to 175km and i couldnt get it to go much faster.

I prefer driving my 99 WRX over my newer 04 Forester. I find it has the edge in performance, and tends to handle that wee bit better as well. Like everyone else though, the Forrie is more comfortable. Poor Forrie- no one loves 'em anymore!

Accidentally slide the whole L-Series sideways around a round about in the wet on my way to uni :lol:

Good thing no cars were around :raspberry:

Yep im over the foz, doesn't slide around in the wet or do skiddies :lol:
Will be nice to have it back though.

Rally is your Foz really more comfortable than your WRX?

Accidentally slide the whole L-Series sideways around a round about in the wet on my way to uni :lol:

Better chuck some stockies on it and a Chev badge for good measure while you're at it!

Aas taza said, the L's are ok down low, but once you get up to highway speed, at least in mine, it struggles to get much faster in a hurry.

Hopefully later this year that should be fixed with an EA82T, and a change to gearbox ratios, and diff ratio.

Beigewagon.

Absolutely. It is far nicer on a long drive. The WRX does not like Sydney roads at all. All the potholes and so on with the low profile tyres and stiffened suspension means it might be sporty, but not comfortable. And that is on standard springs with stiffer shocks. There are WRX's out there with far stiffer suspension I would not want to be in. Same road in the Forrie you barely notice. The seats are better in the Forrie for cruising as well. WRX seats might hold you in place better, but after a while you think favourably of the Forrie. All jokes aside, I think the Forrie is remarkably good because it is both comfortable and able to be enjoyable to drive with enthusiasm within the limits of the car that it is. But when you want to really have a go- well the WRX comes into it's own. That is when you get out of the car with your hands trembling, your heart racing and a smile that takes days to fade. Despite all the fun I've had in the Forrie, they are not sensations it has ever given. Not even close.

Good thing no cars were around :raspberry:

Will be nice to have it back though.

Rally is your Foz really more comfortable than your WRX?

But when you want to really have a go- well the WRX comes into it's own. That is when you get out of the car with your hands trembling, your heart racing and a smile that takes days to fade. Despite all the fun I've had in the Forrie, they are not sensations it has ever given. Not even close.

I haven't ever been in once so I don't know, would love to though :raspberry:

Well, if you are ever in town when a skidpan is on, you're welcome to come along for a ride if the supp regs allow it (which they usually do).

I know what you mean mate :)
But if you think thats quick, you should see how quickly it does it in the XT model :surprised:

I have no idea how fast it will actually go, but I suspect that it would be considerably over 200 km/h. Struth mate, that's over 125 miles an hour! I have seen the figure of 210 km/h bandied about, and that's around 130 mph!!
I punched the loud pedal on mine once (about 4 years ago now) & it climbed to 211 km/h effortlessly (thats by a GPS reading, not the speedo)
Not sure how much more I had, as the road then became twisty with hairpins etc.
But the thing that scared me most was how smooth it felt at that speed :eviltoyou:

I'm quite sure it would do it easily, if you wanted it to :cool:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Come for a belt in my Liberty, more comfy and faster than any standard STI ever put out by the factory, easy high 12sec car.

Yeah alright!
You serious? That's bull**** fast if it does it in high 12's.

Aren't you in Thailand again though or are you back?

The fastest thing I get to drive is a 2.5l turbo diesel ute :lol: Definately a good thing though until I mature my driving style and get over the hooning stage.

Back