Kurrajong Discovery Trail

simxs

Forum Member
Hi all - Now that the site is up and running I can share with you a couple of photos from my quick trip around the Kurrajong Discovery Trail last week.

This route is detailed at https://www.greaterbluemountainsdrive.com.au/kurrajong.php. These notes suggest taking the route in a clockwise direction, which I had done a few months ago. This time I took it the other way, beginning at Comleroy Road, so that the more difficult washed-out sections would be taken up hill. It had also been raining earlier in the day, just to further add to the challenge a little.

It's worth noting that the route is actually fairly easy in standard and Patterson Range Fire Trail (the section between Bells Line of Road and the Burralow Campground) could be attempted in a well driven two-wheel-drive, at least in dry weather.

These shots are all on Mountain Lagoon Fire Trail, from Comleroy Road to Mountain Lagoon:

P7040176.JPG

P7040177.JPG

P7040178.JPG

P7040179.JPG

P7040180.JPG

P7040181.JPG

P7040182.JPG

P7040183.JPG

Last edited:
more Kurrajong Discovery Trail

After passing through Bilpin on Bells Lins of Road, there is a marked entrance to Patterson Range Fire Trail.

P7040187.JPG

Further along is a gate used to lock the track during fires or wet weather:

P7040188.JPG

A short muddy section of track:

P7040189.JPG

One of the many washouts that cross the trail:

P7040190.JPG

Descending towards Burralow Creek:

P7040191.JPG

A washed-out section of track finds the limits of the Foresters short wheel travel:

P7040193.JPG

Luckily, this puddle had a firm sandy base and caused no problems:

P7040194.JPG

The Bridge at Burralow Creek:
P7040195.JPG

Burralow Campground:
P7040197.JPG

The ascent up Burralow Fire Trail. The car would not proceed from stationary from the point where the photo was taken (did anyone find a source for cross-axle diff-locks?) but continued easily enough after a short run-up.

P7040200.JPG

Last edited:
Looks & sounds as though you had a great day filled with fun & adventure.
It's not that far from where I am so I'll have to put it on my short list of places to go.
Thanks for sharing.

Regards
Mr Turbo

That is a sweet little round trip. I agree, the camp site looks great.

How busy did you find the trails and the camp site?

I've been looking for a nice little escape away not too far from Sydney for some easy kid camping. Watagans is great; so is Yengo and Barrington Tops, but they are just too far for me.

I'll have to do a recce when I can find some time :rolleyes:

Looks like a good little trek. Might have to give it a go to give the Suzuki it's first blooding.

G'day Andy, long time mate. What have you been to ?
And yes..... what happened to the Landy ???

Regards
Mr Turbo

Hi Everyone, after a long battle with the insurance company after getting rear ended on the harbour bridge, the landy and I parted company. Probably for the best (the chassis was a touch twisted and even though they said it was ok, it never felt the same or drove the same).

So I traded it in against an ex-demo SX4 AWD. Love it, handles like a hot hatch but also has 200mm ground clearance and lockable centre diff. :woohoo:

We need to organise something to catch up again.

That is a good idea Andy. A meet and greet.

A drive or a catch up dinner.

We could invade the carpark of "The Ranch" at North Ryde there...

Richard, this is where that google map plug-in would work a treat

Crikeys....that Mountain Lagoon trail has degraded in the past decade!

I lived in Kurrajong Village and Bowen Mountain from 1994 to 1997 and frequented that road a lot in a 1988 Corolla Seca.. It was our 'scenic route' from Comleroy Rd to our local food haunts in Bilpin - as a result we used to do it at night a lot and also in the rain. Now it seems a Seca would be out of the question as it looks like it's giving the Foz a fair workout!

While on the subject of using 2WDs in 4WD areas - about 6 weeks ago I took my inlaws 1983 Hiace Poptop Camper down to Burralow Creek. We went down the firetrail from Kurrajong Heights and back up via the Paterson Range and there were several hairy moments on the way down. It wasn't 100% dry and we nearly bailed out several times. We eventually found that if we controlled our speed with keen braking and slow it down to barely a few inches per second then we were able to use the Hiace's good clearance to get over the eroded washouts and semi surfaced boulders.

Once down there it was great however we never made it to the waterfall due to a massive leach attack about 5-10 mins into the walk (just near the Grotto) which got us feeling a little aprehensive......then 100m further down I trod on the tail of a Black Snake which actually then went for me but I kicked sand in it's face (I had to - it was literally at my feet). I took some photos for identifications sake then got the hell out of there.....waterfall mission FAILED!

Driving upward via Paterson Range was a walk in the park compared to the descent....even in a 2WD.

Tweaksta, I can imagine the downhill trip along Burralow Fire Trail in the Hiace would have been hairy to say the least! It is probably the most difficult part of the round trip - I was occassionally spinning wheels in the Forester going up the steeper, rutted sections in wet conditions. Mountain Lagoon trail is somewhat easier although I think the Seca would probably sustain damage. As you mention, the Patterson's Range trail is a doddle.

I've haven't attempted to check out the waterfall on either of my visits but will be sure to take your encounters with the local wildlife as a warning if I ever do :) (Probably best if those planning to visit with children are mindful of nature's hazards as well!) Good to hear you enjoyed your stay though.

I was up there just last week exploring the trails in that area. :)
I also tackled Mountain Lagoon Trail from the Comleroy Road end. And I must say that it has deteriorated even more so since you were there. :surprised:
Kurrajong Trip (Reccie)

Can't wait to get back there to have another go :biggrin:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Back