• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Snatch strap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaksta
SNATCH STRAP......
Is that what Cher is wearing in that US warship video clip?

What a classic eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif:rotfl::censored::rotfl:eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif

Regards
Mr Turbo

love this site so easy to learn something new. thanks for the pictures on setting the two straps up.

Priceless.

here's a photo i found (courtesy of Mr Turbo) of the stick being used in a recovery. thats me being recovered BTW:redface:

IMG_4418-1.jpg

Nice tip,
Something that hasn't been covered is prices... What is the ball park figure from the backyard strap (good enough for light 4wd work) to the heavy duty strap (bogged up to the windows with 2 subies getting a run up to pull you out)
I'm talking snatch strap prices as well, I've been thinking of getting one. Just would like to know what to look for etc before buying.

mine is a tow2go brand from supa cheap auto, and was rated the best by a popular 4wd magazine. cost about $60 bucks from memory.just rember its not always the weight of your car thats been snatched it's how steep the hill is or how badly your bogged. could double your weight

How long and do you get anything with the strap?
is there just an average length, or do they come in all shapes and sizes?

How long and do you get anything with the strap?

You only get the strap. The D Shackles (make sure they are rated) are sold separetly.
As for the size (length) of the strap the most common sizes are 8 & 10 metres.

The snatch strap that I have is 8 metres long & has a 6K or 8K strength rating.

Regards
Mr Turbo

There isn't anything at my local supercheap, may check the other auto stores. Found the Tow2go brand eden is talking about, but they weren't snatch straps.

There isn't anything at my local supercheap, may check the other auto stores. Found the Tow2go brand eden is talking about, but they weren't snatch straps.

Look for "Just straps" brand. They come in a black canvas bag with a handle, D shackles and a pair of leather riggers gloves for around $50 - $60. Got mine at BCF (boating camping fishing) which is owned by Supercheap Auto.

arb and tjm ones are a little more exy, maybe $60-$70 ish, it's important to get one that wont snap, but also not one that's rated really heavily for the suby's or it wont work well and will be more dangerous. I'd say a 6000 pund one would be ideal. Also an equalizer strap is a good idea too, if you get really stuck

what is a pund?
I bought an 8000 Kg one at Supercheap but reading the instructions it looked like an appropriate rating was about 2 to 3 times the vehicle weight so there is enough stretch. so if a forester is about 1500 Kg that is well under 8000.
there is a spares place down the road getting some 6500s in next week. what are you guys using?

I got a snatch strap from SupaCheap($60), and an tree protector/equaliser from the camping franchise BCF($49). Hope I never have to use them in anger (on my vehicle!) but always carry them in case.

I bought an 8000 Kg one at Supercheap but reading the instructions it looked like an appropriate rating was about 2 to 3 times the vehicle weight so there is enough stretch. so if a forester is about 1500 Kg that is well under 8000.

It shouldnt hurt if you are overrated.
In the end if you are snatched out it will only put as much load on your car as is required - it wont matter if its a 6t or 8t strap - its likely to only use a fraction of that to get you out.

The advantage of a lower rating is just that it should be cheaper!!

Thanks Dicknose I guess that settles my concerns I'll head back to Supercheap and get the 8000 kg strap for $49.

......been watching this thread for a while, lotta talk about 'snatching' to recover your 'distressed' suby. For the more recent members to the forum the general wisdom from the 'old' forum was do not ever snatch a 'Suby' because their tie down loops do not double as recovery points. A gentle tow, or a winch recovery along with a bit a spade work should do the job and always use an equaliser strap to distribute the load evenly between the 2 front tie down loops to minimise the stresses on the vehicle. I may be way out of tune with a lot of people on this point (the oh! hell - give it go... !) but i see it as the 'old bull young bull argument all over again ... preserve yourself (your vehicle in this case) and maximise the overall experience.

onebob

"old enough to know better - still young enough to do it again"

Good point onebob! Hopefully it won't take much to get a Fozzie unstuck. The way I was taught - use a really gentle pull first, then add a bit more oomph on the second go if needed. you certainly don't need a 'cruiser taking off at 80km/hr!

I think a snatch can put less strain on the vehicle than a bad attempt at a tow.
Since a snatch is using basically a big elastic band, it increases the load as the strap stretches. Ideally you will start to move when the force is enough to overcome you being stuck. Sure the load can continue to increase especially if the other vehicle is going all out.
But if someone attempts a snatch-like tow and carries momentum while the tow line is slack then you have the potential to put a huge force on both vehicles and the tow line.

The other advantage of a snatch is that you can snatch one Forester with another. Much harder to do that with a tow (especially as Foresters arent grunt monsters at low revs!)

I agree with the digging - a snatch is not a magic cure, you should still dig and do everything you can to make it easy to get out.
And using both tie down points spreads the load and centralises it - you probably want to do that for both a tow and a snatch.

my old buy got an old tie down strap from work the other day and said that would be good enough for recovery and all that, but its only rated at 1500kg, to me this sounds like its ready for the rubish, i almost bought a snatch from rays outdoors today, 25% off bushranger range for april i think i mite get a couple more things from there :ebiggrin::ebiggrin:

Back