Fly's 2002 Forester

July 2011
- Original purchased configuration

img0063xj.jpg

*Yes I know that kind of magnet usually goes at the rear, but it looks like the door isn't magnetic enough to hold it securely...

----------------------------------------------------------
August 2011 Subaru Night
294831_2320693663457_1211609_n.jpg

August 2011 camping trip

foresterhdr.jpg

Mods:
Roof basket
Mudflaps
----------------------------------------------------------

Projects/plans

Current
- Getting all the info needed to have a bullbar done (and getting it done :lol: )
- Arranging sleep area in the back (curtains, mattres, scrims, etc)

Short term (this summer)
- Wiring the two Hella 500s on the bullbar
- Wiring the 4 basket spots with quick detach wiring (so I can easily remove the basket)
- Strut lift (still have to decide what I get, 1in, 2in or anything in between) (Probably Primitive, I'm not sure I trust the local guy who did some and has no idea what "offset" is)
- LED upgrade for cabin lightning
- Skidplate & diffguard (Probably Primitive)

Mid term (hopefully before the end of the year)
- Fan cut-off switch
- (Maybe) Sway bar QD (I suck at doing/understanding that kind of stuff, but I'll eventually put the time I need!)

Long term (indefinite time frame)
- Finding out a solution to carry fuel and water jerricans
- Replacing windscreen (cracked due to the wiper defreezer)
- 2nd set of wheels with A/T tires

List updated July 2, 2012

I'm new to all that (first Subaru, and even first car!), so suggestions and tips welcome. I'll try not to cheap out, but at the same time, being a student with many hobbies, I'll be looking at more affordable options before going top of the line.

Cheers

Last edited:
321028_2498485108132_1433030442_4418826_210793163_n.jpg

From this weekend's hike. We had about 30 kms of dirt roads (and at the end, it was more like a trail than an actual road) to reach the hiking trail's start.

Not enough mud for my liking, but it was cool! I ruined the plastic skidguard (I intended to replace it with a metal skidplate anyway) and bended a bit the lightbar but it went great overall.

Altough I had a small unplanned drifting session when we were getting back... and it ended in the woods :/

I did not post it before, so here it is... Last october, I had an "accidental drift session" that ended up in the trees. Thankfully, they were small trees, and only damaged the passenger door & pillar. Everyone was OK and there is no critical damage. Still, that's at least 1000$ worth of body repairs... (Sorry for the crappy pic, when it happenned my mind wasn't really set on being an artist :lol: )

1341259084-291061_2498486308162_1352066357_o.jpg

I realise I posted it already in the offroad pics thread, but deserves to be in my journal too, as it shows well the roof basket & projectors, mudflaps and lightbar. It was taken last january.

1341259085-335550_3052228911381_1773087688_o.jpg

Projects/plans

Current
- Getting all the info needed to have a bullbar done (and getting it done :lol: )
- Arranging sleep area in the back (curtains, mattres, scrims, etc)

Short term (this summer)
- Wiring the two Hella 500s on the bullbar
- Wiring the 4 basket spots with quick detach wiring (so I can easily remove the basket)
- Strut lift (still have to decide what I get, 1in, 2in or anything in between) (Probably Primitive, I'm not sure I trust the local guy who did some and has no idea what "offset" is)
- LED upgrade for cabin lightning
- Skidplate & diffguard (Probably Primitive)

Mid term (hopefully before the end of the year)
- Fan cut-off switch
- (Maybe) Sway bar QD (I suck at doing/understanding that kind of stuff, but I'll eventually put the time I need!)

Long term (indefinite time frame)
- Finding out a solution to carry fuel and water jerricans
- Replacing windscreen (cracked due to the wiper defreezer)
- 2nd set of wheels with A/T tires

-------------

And Taza, I hate you, your journal gives me ideas I never would've thought about, and due to my limited ability to do stuff myself (I just suck at this, lol) , it's gonna cost me a lot! :lol:

Last edited:
Alight so, on a thrilling saturday night with nothing to do... Right now, I'd be using that by myself, but getting a larger mattress and putting gear on the front seats, or in front of the folded seats, or on the roof baskets (not shown on these pics) wouldn't be hard at all.

The mattress doesn't go all the way, but... my feet don't really care, lol. As I'm only 5'6 I can fit easily without having to get the seat all the way to the front. When I sit on the mattress, the box is at perfect height to be used as a table for a laptop, take notes, study maps... etc.
181314_4285397779832_326165787_n.jpg

...with the sleeping bag:
600162_4285394819758_1167176762_n.jpg

These Plano boxes fit great in the back, with room to spare. The mattress is tucked between the boxes and the seat, the window covers and scrim are under the rubber mat.
600441_4285400619903_340688818_n.jpg

What the window covers look like from the outside... as you can see, I've got some inspiration from that Trakka Forry.
417545_4285403139966_511688727_n.jpg

My DIY'ed bugnet. Top & bottom are magnetic, right is tucked between the passenger window. I just need to find a way to secure it at the front since there's no metal... Probably an elastic around the mirror.
544411_4285406500050_1864624055_n.jpg

Last edited:
Just ordered a Primitive Racing "Full rally armor" (3/16 skidplate and diff cover), as well as a 1.25 front and 1.5 rear lift! Woohoo!

Although that means my craptastic aluminium lightbar won't fit with the skidplate, and I don't have the cash to get a custom bullbar built the way I want it... I guess I'll have to mount the Hellas on the grille for now.

^ I like the fly screen that goes over your drivers window! Might have to do that for myself :D

Do you have any pics of the damage of your car from the accident?

The second fly screen is much better than that "prototype" one^^ Just make sure your magnet is strong enough! Will post more pics soon.

Since my ligthbar is dead, I gotta make some clamps to get my driving lights back on until I can afford a real bullbar...

Do you have any pics of the damage of your car from the accident?
I'll try to take new ones, these aren't very good. They were taken right when I got back home back in october.

I went thru the trees forward and sideways. Left side doesn't have anything, but the plastic furniture, mudflap got ripped off, as well as the underside got dented (as you can see) by a huge rock. The door pillar was recessed, as well as both passenger-side doors were dented, the front one being unable to close properly because of the recessed pillar. Surprisingly, the bumper had a few scratches, but nothing more!

img0498nl.jpg

A close up on the door when closed (as you can see, it didn't close well)... I could somehow manage to close it by getting the window down, closing the door, then getting the window up. Works when I'm alone, but when I had friends in the car... it was a huge hassle.

img0493ft.jpg

img0495y.jpg

All I got repaired was the damage underside (it was rusting like crazy) and I got the door to close, as well as the plastic glued on.

Most superficial damage on the door is still there as it would've cost me twice the price... I'll just get a paint pen to cover where the paint went off (not much, I was lucky on that!) then wax the whole car. It will still be visible, but at least it'll prevent the whole thing from rusting too much.

Last edited:
I was looking for various stuff so I partially removed the interior trim... Most of the metal seemed like new, except that, right above the wheel well:

1343458789-2012-07-20-18-32-46-866.jpg

I have a hard time understanding how it could have done this there, while everything around it is pristine... Thankfully it doesn't go all the way thru to the outside, although the interior wall is ... a hole.

Last edited:
Woot! After some small mods, I figured how I could keep it with the skidplate, so no need for another mounting method! That bar slightly reduces approach angle as it does not follow the bumper's curve as much as the RallyeInnovation one, but for less than half the price, I guess that's a tradeoff I can live with...

So I drilled two holes to add fogs to the bottom. Now I just gotta wire all these lights to the two seat heater switches I grabbed (I will design a fitting sticker to replace the seat pictogram on these switches). Should look much cleaner and more streamlined with the car's design than using the crappy Hella switches.

552547_4385399839821_923984017_n.jpg

Last edited:
I have a hard time understanding how it could have done this there, while everything around it is pristine... Thankfully it doesn't go all the way thru to the outside.

That rust looks nasty! Maybe there's a leak somewhere?

So I drilled two holes to add fogs to the bottom.

Looks good - may be a bit vunerable!

The lights & light bar looks great Fly, but like Kevin said, they may be a little vunerable.

Regards
Mr Turbo

Well would you have any suggestions to make it a bit better?

I'm still looking to get an actual bullbar some time down the road, this is an interim solution. I may be able to get it built this fall, else I don't know exactly when... but I still want one :p

Crappy pic (I don't have my camera... my dad took it with him on vacation :lol:) to show the lightbar with lights, and the lights on the roof basket. I'm thinking of swapping that basket for something lower profile... that one, although it works well, had a large profile and is quite blocky, which doesn't go very well with the SF's small size. Plus it doesn't cover the whole roof's lenght. I might go with a Rola (with extension) or similar.

Typical forest road. That one ain't too bad... and it's a good thing since I don't have any underbody protection on at the moment: lift kit and Primitive underbody armor should be coming in by the end of the week :D

1344228999-img-0007-fhdr.jpg

Last edited:
Those on the basket are only there when I'm going in the backcountry, I remove the basket for daily use.

I don't think I really have to explain the use of those on the lightbar... As for the basket, two are aimed a bit on the sides of the road to help see wildlife before they try to kill themselves :p (in other words, to get a wider field of view) and the two others are to reach above uneven terrain (on forest roads/trails, these are never used on the road)... Ever noticed that since your headlights are lower than your eyes, this creates a "black hole" when driving at night anywhere that's not flat? (see the professionnal artwork attached) That's the main reason, although it also helps be seen by other vehicles (again when going thru hills, which means 99% of the trails here in Quebec.

Attachments

• lights.JPG
    lights.JPG
    6.9 KB · Views: 5
Back