OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

OFFROADSUBARUS.COM (https://offroadsubarus.com/index.php)
-   Camping and Cooking (https://offroadsubarus.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Anyone use a vacuum food sealer? (https://offroadsubarus.com/showthread.php?t=5133)

idw 17th December 2013 06:24 AM

Anyone use a vacuum food sealer?

Hey everyone, as a fridge is outside my budget right now and I'm sick of all my food being wet I've been looking at a vacuum sealer. Has anyone tried one or have any recommendations. My local butcher will vacuum seal for an extra fee and i figured out if i bought one it'd pay for itself in a year.

It'd be really nice to just pick out a sealed pack for a dinner and have it actually be dry when the ice begins to melt, and not worry about cross contamination

Aitcho 6th January 2014 07:16 AM

Mate,

Cryvac'd food is the way to go. You can just about do anything from frozen casseroles and pasta to steaks/snags/chops etc. If your concern is the keeping the food from leaking everywhere, especially if you like to operate with ice (although, its great in a fridge as well) the cryvac'ing is the way to go.

idw 3rd February 2014 09:58 PM

It's on the list, should be handy for the home as well

havachat 9th February 2015 07:09 AM

Looking to buy one has anyone got advice on a good quality unit ?

Ratbag 9th February 2015 07:24 AM

I would also be interested in something like this.

Scooby2 9th February 2015 09:12 AM

They are great. Get some tips from someone who has one how to use properly would save a lot of frustration and disappointment. Have just got a $99 sunbeam one that suits us just fine. Saved us loads on spoilt/slushy food and has the added benefit of lengthening the shelf life.

Best regards,

Beigewagon 9th February 2015 06:02 PM

Paul,

We have a 'Freshield' brand vacuum sealer. Several of us at the Vic Suby Club bought them one night when we had them as a guest one meeting night a couple of years back. It came with a 12 volt cord as well as 240, so you can reseal things it you want or need. Sorry I don't remember how much it cost.

They are a great idea to help save room, mess, and make food last longer.

Beigewagon.

Kevin 9th February 2015 09:13 PM

A friend has one which we have used for long trips - it's great.

havachat 9th February 2015 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beigewagon (Post 84022)
Paul,

We have a 'Freshield' brand vacuum sealer. Several of us at the Vic Suby Club bought them one night when we had them as a guest one meeting night a couple of years back. It came with a 12 volt cord as well as 240, so you can reseal things it you want or need. Sorry I don't remember how much it cost.

They are a great idea to help save room, mess, and make food last longer.

Beigewagon.

Pete,
you are spot on, I was at that meeting and should have bought one !! I'll look up the old club mags and see if I can find who the guest was. Presume he is one of the listed distributors on their web page.

havachat 9th February 2015 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooby2 (Post 84017)
They are great. Get some tips from someone who has one how to use properly would save a lot of frustration and disappointment. Have just got a $99 sunbeam one that suits us just fine. Saved us loads on spoilt/slushy food and has the added benefit of lengthening the shelf life.

Best regards,

$99 sounds pretty good ! I still use an esky and ice so on a longer trip my menu gets a bit bland towards the end at the moment :rotfl: