Stockton Beach - Port Stephens

DOGG01

Forum Member
Hi Guys,

Me and my mates usually do an annual trip to port stephens in newcastle during Australia Day. The usual beach we hit is stockton beach and i have always wanted to drive up the other side.

So since i have just bought my Black MY05 XTL i been itching to get out there! But my plans for my car are more directed at a street cruiser than an offroad machine. My plans for the foz from now and till Jan is most probably Turbo back exhuast, Unichip and also Tein SuperWagons (But if this is going to pose a problem driving on beach sand..i can hold off till after).

Have any of you guys taken your Foresters up that way? Does the manual pose any problems as i have heard its not that great on the sand? I dont plan on going on the dunes, just on the beach sand.

Sorry Guys i am a newb.

Cheers

Dougie:)

Rest assured that if you take it onto the sand with the plastic sump protector on, you'll loose it.

Get yourself a SubaXtreme sump guard.

Stocktons no problems if your setup right and have the right gear for the "just in case" scenarios.

Make sure you have a few people going along for the above reason.

I've been up and down Stockton about 6 times now, I like it but it is a little further than I would like.

What do you mean when you refer to "...up the other side..."?

Rest assured that if you take it onto the sand with the plastic sump protector on, you'll loose it.

Get yourself a SubaXtreme sump guard.

Stocktons no problems if your setup right and have the right gear for the "just in case" scenarios.

Make sure you have a few people going along for the above reason.

I've been up and down Stockton about 6 times now, I like it but it is a little further than I would like.

What do you mean when you refer to "...up the other side..."?

Hey Mate,

What i meant from 'up the other side' was i have only ever hung around the area with the little cafe that you enter from James Patterson St. I think its called Birubi Beach. I always wanted to drive to the other side seeing that its a great long stretch of sand. And walking will take forever. lol

Do you have any tips on setup? i mean i will prob hold off on the Coil Overs and just go in pretty much stock and definately purchase the SubXtreme Sump Guard. What kind of gear would i be needing for just in case scenarios?

When you say go with a few people, do you mean with other 4wd vehicles? coz i wish i could if my mates did. haha.. but they all drive rexy's, integras etc :(

I mean i am more of a GTryda than an offroad enthusiast, but my curiosity has taken over me and i have always wanted to the forester onto the sand.

Sorry for the dumb questions and Thanks for the help in advance.!

Cheers

Dougie

DOGG01 said:
...What i meant from 'up the other side' was i have only ever hung around the area with the little cafe that you enter from James Patterson St. I think its called Birubi Beach. I always wanted to drive to the other side seeing that its a great long stretch of sand. And walking will take forever. lol

I've always entered via Anna Bay, there are one or two others also. I know of the entry that you refer to, I've never tried that way, in or out, but from what I've heard it can be a bit more challenging.

Anyone else's thoughts?

DOGG01 said:
...Do you have any tips on setup? i mean i will prob hold off on the Coil Overs and just go in pretty much stock and definately purchase the SubXtreme Sump Guard. What kind of gear would i be needing for just in case scenarios?...

You need to "air down" prior to heading onto the sand, it assists with providing a greater tyre footprint and thereby greater traction. You can either "air up" at the servo or if you have a air compressor (you can get a Projecta Typhoon max 150PSI for about $170 on eBay), you can inflate your own tyres. I have mine permanently in the car, but I err on the side of caution.

I take a shovel. A long handle and an army entrenching tool that I kept after I left the Services. I sometimes borrow my father-in-laws exhaust bag, but it is bulky. I always have a 2" x 1' x '1 block of timber as a base plate for my jack.

UHF radio. Perhaps not so much of a requirement, unless you are in a convoy and also there is lots of other traffic (4WDers) on Stockton that can assist if you get stuck.

Spare change of clothes, towel, food and water.

Play caution to the fact that you have a turbo and as such, no low range!!! With experience you will know how to drive on sand with out this whilst also knowing how to control your revs so that you don't spin.

Have a chat with Mr Turbo. He has an XT and has been most places and on most terrains.

Recovery equipment. Snatch strap, equilisation/distribution strap, recovery points (ie a rear tow point).

Anyone else's thoughts?

DOGG01 said:
...When you say go with a few people, do you mean with other 4wd vehicles? coz i wish i could if my mates did. haha.. but they all drive rexy's, integras etc :(...

Yes. Other people can assist you, both mechanically and experience wise. See comments ^^ pertaining to UHF. A rule of thumb is that you need a vehicle of similar capability or greater to recover you. Some may argue this, but I am still to see a Suzuki 4x4 recover a Toyota Troopy or Landrover Defender!

DOGG01 said:
...I mean i am more of a GTryda than an offroad enthusiast, but my curiosity has taken over me and i have always wanted to the forester onto the sand...

Don't fight the urge :iconwink: There are a few on here that are part of GTRydz that are also offroad capable. Have a chat to Dicknose about his on/off-road XT.

DOGG01 said:
...Sorry for the dumb questions and Thanks for the help in advance.!

The only dumb question is the one not asked! :cool:

G'day DOGGO1 & welcome. :)

The XT will have no problems at Stockton. Just remember to keep a nice & steady amount of revs & momentum.
Don't break hard either, just allow yourself to slow to a stop by taking your foot off the power. By doing this, there is less chance of becoming bogged.

Recovery equipment. Snatch strap, equilisation/distribution strap, recovery points (ie a rear tow point).

Anyone else's thoughts?

Make sure that you also have 2x rated D Shackels.

Also take a block of wood/timber so that you have a base plate for a jack aswell as a shovel, plenty of water & a spare set/change of clothes (trust me re the clothes. That comes as experiece from one of my previous trips to Stockton:(:mad:) But thats a story for another day.

If you do need to be recovered/snatched by a larger vehicle, tell them not to go like a bull at a gate or a bat out if hell. Remind them that your vehicle is only small.

Finally have fun & enjoy yourself.

Regards
Mr Turbo

If your going in at the Anna Bay end you should have no problems, the sand does get softer the further south you head. I've been up there many times and the forester handles it well, i'd have to think the turbo would make it even easier.

P.S I have a used SubaXtreme sump guard I don't need anymore as I'm selling my car, will save you some money if your interested send me Private msg.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the quick responses and insightful information..

Brendon: Am thinking about the SubaXtrene guard. Will let you know shortly.

Cheers Dougie

Id recommend going with someone else.
If you get stuck on your own you could be there for a while till some help comes.
Plus its nice to have company (especially if they have done that sort of driving before)

The sand changes a fair bit from hard to soft, so dont get too over confident. Its easy to accidentally find a soft drift or worse - go into one of the bowls and find it very soft.

Id also recommend an air compressor. Its a good insurance in case you air down a bit too much!
From memory I started on about 20psi and then actually went down a bit more to like 17-18.

A couple of 2 foot long flat bits of wood can really help to get you out if you get stuck. The hard part is often the "wall" of sand in front of where you are dug in. By having a ramp you can get over it.

One last tip - before you hit the freeway on the way home, clean your wheels!
If you dont then you probably will have the worlds worst weight imbalance and get horrible vibrations when you get up to speed. Doesnt need to be perfect, just get any large clumps of sand off the rims.

Id recommend going with someone else.
If you get stuck on your own you could be there for a while till some help comes.
Plus its nice to have company (especially if they have done that sort of driving before)

The sand changes a fair bit from hard to soft, so dont get too over confident. Its easy to accidentally find a soft drift or worse - go into one of the bowls and find it very soft.

Don't want to scare you off, but as DN said, it always pays to be prepared.
I should know, as this is what happened to me :shake::redface::redface::shake:
img8150fw8.jpg

Everything was going well & then suddenly, I found a soft bit. :o:rolleyessarcastic:

I was not happy at the time, but I must say that a lot of very valuable lessons were learnt that day. :)

Regards
Mr Turbo

Back