Have I gone to the dark side???

subieoutlaw

Forum Member
Spent the afternoon in my favorite forestry area digging up trees. Yes digging up trees. For $5 you can dig up 20 trees and plant them in your backyard.

While I was working I was repeatedly passed by convertible Jeeps.

I have now joined a Jeep forum in Calgary. I gotta get one. I just want to beat the #$%^ out of it and smile while blasting through mud puddles.

We shall see.

^ over here, reliability has been an issue with Jeeps. But if you get a cheapie and beat it to death would be good - one less Jeep on the road! :lol:

I considered a Rubicon when shopping around but there were a couple of things against it. We don't get a diesel version, the realiability for touring is very questionable and most importantly the build quality for the price just wasn't right.

I'll admit I like the look of the Jeeps, especially with big rubber and big lift and understand the appeal but they weren't suited to what I need.

^ over here, reliability has been an issue with Jeeps.
I've heard similar re their reliability not being the best. :twisted: It's a Jeep thing :lol:
In saying that, they're quite capable offroad though (when they work that is) :bananagunner: :furious::bananagunner: :redface:

Get yourself a Yota :iconwink: Cheap, reliable, and looks just as cool as a jeep. Are the Hilluxes available in Canada?
I agree with you on that. Great offroad & very reliable too. :)

Regards
Mr Turbo

I want a jeep Wrangler unlimited. The reliabilty issues tend to be people who are little too picky about thier Jeeps, not realizing its a truck to be threashed and made for it.

At least that is what i tell myself :)

nipper

Can't thrash it if it won't start or spontaneously combusts on the beach LOL.

Saw a Cheroke on a forum recently that just stopped dead (electrics gave up apparently) in the middle of a tidal river crossing. Water looked to only be 16" deep when it stopped. On their own with no way to recover it out the water ended up pretty much covering the roof so written off.

I couldn't see myself in one as my daily driver. Jeeps are great fun offroad toys while they run.

I considered a Rubicon when shopping around but there were a couple of things against it. We don't get a diesel version, the realiability for touring is very questionable and most importantly the build quality for the price just wasn't right.

X2!!! I really learned this during my brief tenure in the auto repair business:raspberry:.

Get yourself a Yota :iconwink: Cheap, reliable, and looks just as cool as a jeep.

Nuff said!!!:iconwink::ebiggrin: Besides the damage I've done to it myself, NO problems with my Yota.:cool:

Saw a Cheroke on a forum recently that just stopped dead (electrics gave up apparently) in the middle of a tidal river crossing. Water looked to only be 16" deep when it stopped. On their own with no way to recover it out the water ended up pretty much covering the roof so written off.

That would be more the fault of operator error then the vehicals. I have seen people in all sorts fo vehicals do the same thing, including subarus.

nipper

It's operator error that the electronics gave out during a water crossing below the vehicles rated fording depth?

It's operator error that the electronics gave out during a water crossing below the vehicles rated fording depth?

That fording dpeth is for a smooth surface, non moving water. Moving water is an all new ball game, as it constantly changes the river bottom, and all you need is one deep spot, or the loss of the bow wave, or a shift in currents and your sunk. After all, you dont know what is going on under the hood or infront of it.

nipper

Unless you're talking about bog holes I've never seen a water crossing that wasn't flowing. Judging by the pics and the fact several other vehicles crossed in the same spot I don't think it was operator error.

The one error they all made is that only 1 vehicle had a snatch strap and it wasn't long enough. If they'd each had one they could have easily recovered the Jeep and towed it to safety.

Back