Forum Member
Car Year
2018 / 2008
Car Model
4Runner / Tribeca
Transmission
5EAT
https://expeditionportal.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road/#content

Personally, this helps a ton with the Cooper AT3. It does not include the TA KO2, which had not been announced at the time of the comparison, but the latter's excessive weight is a head-scratcher for me. I cannot see 3-ply sidewall justifying 7 extra pounds per tire and a bit higher price, too. All AT tires are already 7-8 pounds over stock anyway. In addition, the KO2, unlike all other AT tires I can fit, will be LT metric, which I do not see as an advantage. These are run on higher pressures for which I have no use on road. Off-road, I do not want to join the Jeep/truck community in ritually airing down before every dirt road. I only air down...virtually never, though I would for deep and soft sand (been through a foot of coarse desert sand at 28 psi).

For my vehicle that's 95% on bitumen, in the state I live where there;'s plenty of rain.

After now putting about 600km of highway and gravel on the 215/60/16 BFG AT KO, here are my thoughts (in comparison with the OEM fitment Pirelli P1 225/55/17)

-3-ply sidewall ROCKS,
running 32PSI the car is still much more "pointy" when turning on any surface, the stock tyres sidewalls just give-way.
Running 40psi for highway running makes it even sharper.

-Road noise,
expected of a heavy tread AT, however, it's only actually noisy at around 70-75 km/h, over that, they go quiet again.

-Fuel economy
The first long trip with the car (empty vehicle, 110km/h highway) on the stock tyres I managed about 7.0 L/100km
The same trip this weekend (Roof basket and nudge bar also fitted) netted me 8.0 L/100km on the display.
However the BFG's are also about 5% bigger circumference,
So my 416km trip was actually 437km actually travelled
pulling the economy back to 7.5L/100km.

so an overall 6% drop in economy is well within reasonable limits of added weight and drag from my modifications.

I've seen no effects of the tramlining, etc that the reviewers saw with these tyres (maybe their aligner has no idea..)

Gravel fine, loose, large, bedrock, etc, they just eat it up, so much confidence when braking and powering out of corners
Also very controllable IF you can actually get them to let-go and slide,
The stock tyres would set the TCS off all the time so I'd turn it off when driving on gravel,
Have only had it kick in once under my usual driving style (with SWMBO riding shotgun)

I never put faith in tyre reviews/ tests, they're almost always sponsored by someone,
ANd this appears to be an American reviewer giving thumbs up to the American Tyre Brand...........

I'm not a brand snob, and I love the advances in tyre tech,
We have a fleet of 200+ 4wd vehicles at work that are used offroad in horrid terrain used for fighting bushfires, accessing remote infrastructure installations, etc.
Toyota Hilux, 70 series 'cruisers, PX Ford Rangers.
We've recently moved away from the BFG to Cooper AT2's, AT3's, Bridgestone D694, D697 and the Toyo AT's aswell,

The AT2's were terrible for road holding and sidewall punctures,
the AT3's are poop at high-speed grip on the road (remember we're an emergency service with flashing lights and sirens) but good in the bush
The D697's are a good all-rounder, but see a reasonable amount of sidewall punctures, but they do like to be run at high pressure on the road.
Toyo's just aren't that good anywhere for our business, but no significant puncture issues. No real complaints about them, they're just average.

But the overwhelming response is why did we go away from the BFG's?
they've served the needs for 30 years, they've now caught up with the new tech with the KO2,
I suspect we will move back to them in the near future

Last edited:
Nice review of your own!

Just because the review is American does not mean it will privilege American companies. I am not surprised you think that since it is common practice elsewhere but it does not work this way in the US when businesses are concerned. Indeed, the unions have long been complaining about what they perceive as "import-bias" among automotive journalists. What they usually rave about is Japanese quality and German sophistication.

The shallow thread comment may apply to LT sizes for trucks. For Subaru applicable sizes, the Cooper AT3 seem to have best expected longevity after the Toyo AT II.

Personally, I am very curious to learn more about the TA KO2 but I am very concerned about its weight in the size I can fit.

Also, quite a few Forester owners and one OB owner on the other forums are extremely happy with their Cooper AT3.

If I do find a way to fit a 16" rally wheel, I will have a lot of options in 225 70 16.

If I do not, then I am stuck with a choice of 235 60 17 Cooper AT 3, BFG TA KO2 in 225 65 17, or Geolander AT-S or Pirelli ATR in the same size. I have had enough of the ATS, the ATR is cheap now but I do not trust it off-road, and the Maxxis 771, the only other choice, is too obscure here to be considered.

Since you appear to know a thing or two about AT tires, what do you think of the Pirelli Scorpion ATR? It is unusually cheap right now. Almost half the price of the TA KO 2 and 70% of the price of the Cooper AT3.

We have had the Scorpions on our smaller SUV vehicles Rav4, Nissan Xtrail, Hyundai Santa-Fe and they are a good upgrade from the factory fitted tyres.
We have also fitted the Cooper CS4 Touring in the same category.

Pirelli's were a much better gripper on most surfaces, the CS4 was nicer on wet/ dry bitumen though.
Pirelli's wore out faster but were cheaper.

Personally I like the gravel confidence of the Pirelli

As for wheels that will fit.
Look to Yahoo Japan
Rays, Speedline, STi, etc all available cheaply.

My 16" speedlines were $160 AUD for the wheels themselves.
requires about $250 freight to get them into Australia though.

Sites like JAUCE.com, Rinkya, etc all act as proxy services for local collection/ shipping/ packing and then international freight to you

Thanks!

Actually, you quoted the wrong information about the Cooper AT3.

You quoted the Toyo section.

The correct assessment is:

"Cons:
Lacks three-ply sidewall"

As for wheels, no one has posted running anything less than 17" on 12.4 front brakes. One can hope that a 16" BRAID might just fit but that is about the only hope before prices get astronomical.

Thanks,
post edited,
although doesn;t change my feelings about them from the KM's I've driven on them
The lack of sidewall makes a loaded 4x4 feel unstable under hard cornering.
MIght be fine for a lighter Forester/ SUV

When we did Vic high country, we had the BFG's at highway psi, about 38-40. There was absolutely no issues for grip, though airing down does make the ride offroad a lot more comfortable and makes it so you don't shake yourself and the car to bits.
Staun deflaters are a nice investment

All good stuff. Thanks.
Still confused about what to replace my trusty Pirelli STR`s with. Although reliable, no punctures on two sets, and reasonably long wearing, 60+ k km each set but would like a more aggressive tread although most driving is on bitumen. Maybe Bridgestone D 697 next.
Have to stop procrastinating soon as they are nearly worn out.

All good stuff. Thanks.
Still confused about what to replace my trusty Pirelli STR`s with. Although reliable, no punctures on two sets, and reasonably long wearing, 60+ k km each set but would like a more aggressive tread although most driving is on bitumen. Maybe Bridgestone D 697 next.
Have to stop procrastinating soon as they are nearly worn out.

Well, the Scorpion ATR used to get great professional reviews except in snow and ice. They are not a recent design, but look like a good tire still. Definitely among the very best in the on-road game among AT tires, as far as I know.

Back