DavAmb

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
Manual 5 speed
Hey all,

during Spring and Autumn I get some pretty horrid fogs on the Sth Gippy and Bass Highways and have been thinking of fitting fog lamps to the (2008 Foz X) Suby before next Autumn. What are my options here, are these only a genuine Suby accessory or are there plenty of generics that'll do the job? What do you recommend?

Thanks,
Dave.

Gidday Dave

IME from my long ago youth, fog lights need to be low on the car, with a wide, flat beam. I.e. where FHI put them.

I also found that wearing yellow skiing glasses helped greatly by increasing contrast dramatically.

It is also my opinion that fog lights ought to have yellow lenses, but then car makers would not be able to have them fitted as ersatz driving lights and as a fashion statement ... Grrrr.

I hear you RB, there are holes (currently plugged) specifically for this purpose and I was wondering if there were readily-available items to go straight in to these spots.

I'm not a big believer in wearing anything that'll reduce the light input at night-time, so skiing specs are not an option to me. I completely agree on foggys having yellow lenses though. I need these to actually perform, not to present a wall of light to oncoming vehicles. Some nights it's been so bad I've had to crawl along at 50ks - worried some hero would drive up my clacker with a 50k closing speed.

Hey Dave

I understand completely about not wanting an a**e ornament too!

However, trust me, the yellow glasses enhance your vision dramatically in fog with either white (halogen) fog lights or proper yellow ones. I did quite a lot of night fog driving in my youth. After someone told me about the yellow glasses and I tried them, I never drove without them in fog again ... :biggrin: :cool:.

You could try the wreckers for genuine buying from Subaru would be prohibitive.
I suspect the factory wiring loom will have the wiring preinstalled.
This would not be the simpler option though as you will have to remove the front bumper and install the oem mounting brackets which is a lot of fiddling about.
Alternatively there are plenty of after market bolt ons. But that will require a mounting bar of some sort.

My 2002 X came with fog lights from the factory. This makes it something of a rarity.
You could always try finding a set of oem fogs, they aren't bad at all, or else get a set of hellas that'll fit.

Back