legovers BG5 multibaru legacy

Hey all, this is my build journal/adventure journal for my MULTIBARU!

THE REASON

I've played with subarus as buggys and offroaders but never got serious until i lent my last impreza buggy to a mate. When I got it back it had been towed by the c pillar (bent), overheated, iron sand in the air intake and one tyre completely shredded...completely shredded.. :censored:

So it was only a matter of time until my next subaru. And after convincing the girlfriend the 93 BG5 TS-R was a good buy as a work and back car and spending undisclosed amounts of money on the timing belt and heads being rebuilt after the inevitable failure of the headgaskets etc etc Its finally time to put it all together so I thought I would indulge you fine persons at OS with some build action.

THE GEAR

As of now i have scavenged outback suspension, outback bodylift, hi/lo ratio gearbox and 215/65/16 snow tyres, also other assortments of spotlights, water tank, elec water pump, rather swish looking switchboard, roof racks, indoor lighting, roof vent, full sheet of 3mm alli plate for the whole underbelly, 6mm steel bashplate (I can be a bit reckless) its also on the cards for an electric winch which will sit on custom made bush basher bars that I will fab up myself. and diff a breather, I'll probably need a diff breather

THE PLAN

Pretty much if you can think apocalypse camper you've probably got a good picture in your head of what I'm going for. I've got the motor coming from the shop in the next few weeks so when that gets here the build will be in motion.

Wish me luck. :lildevil:

Well.. I got bored. So in went the outback susp, cross members and body lift along with my genuine O.Z's (I wish)

I will put some before photos up at a later date if they weren't on my phone I drowned.

Questions welcomed...I'll be asking my fair share haha.
image.jpg
[/url] capture screen[/IMG]
image.jpg
[/url] picture upload[/IMG]
image.jpg
[/url] greenshot[/IMG]
image.jpg
[/url] upload images[/IMG]

Massive images? Anyway to resize? Always have trouble with pics and forums...guhhhh lol

Last edited:
Gidday LO

A belated :welcome: to the ORS forum, mate.

I take it that your "friend" is no longer a friend .... :puke:. I would never ill-treat something of my own that way, let alone something that belongs to someone else!

All the best with your new build :).

Good progress! Interesting place to carry your spares ;-)

Spares will be carried in the appropriate place when......I.... Find....more..room...maybe

Maybe.

Gidday LO

A belated :welcome: to the ORS forum, mate.

I take it that your "friend" is no longer a friend .... :puke:. I would never ill-treat something of my own that way, let alone something that belongs to someone else!

All the best with your new build :).

"A friend in need is a friend indeed" ............ HE DID NOT NEED MY IMPREZA.

AT ALL

Although in his defence his prerequisite was a bottle of Jim Beam. Which as I had already consumed "A bottle of Jim Beam"...it seemed reasonable...

My bad.. Maybe..

I don't speak to him anymore.

And thank-you kindly for your welcome ratbag

Always good to see another kiwi around, even if you're at the opposite end of the country! I'm taking it your Outback isn't going to be WOFd? Looks pretty sweet anyway, love the white wheels.

Always good to see another kiwi around, even if you're at the opposite end of the country! I'm taking it your Outback isn't going to be WOFd? Looks pretty sweet anyway, love the white wheels.

Cheers kiwifoz, I love my O.G O.Zs

Indeed thy subaru will be WOFd :cool:

And if all else fails I'm partial to a cert :poke:

Apparently it needs to be 40mm or more to require a cert. I'm clueless as to what it was that I raised it but surely it's ok...right? Haha

Info appreciated

Last edited:
Cheers kiwifoz, I love my O.G O.Zs

Indeed thy subaru will be WOFd :cool:

And if all else fails I'm partial to a cert :poke:

Apparently it needs to be 40mm or more to require a cert. I'm clueless as to what it was that I raised it but surely it's ok...right? Haha

Info appreciated

Nah I did a bit of research on the topic, there's a thread further down the main page I wrote on it. https://www.offroadsubarus.com/showthread.php?p=81483#post81483

Basically any sort of body lift requires a cert, and the WOF guys count a strut top spacer/block as a 'body lift'. Up to 50mm spring lift is legal though. Which is why I'm just fitting raised Kings and calling it a day, can't be arsed with a cert, too much hassle.
So you'll need a cert I think, unless you can sneak it past.

Truly.. I was just gonna sneak it through the local garage and that still might have to do for now if I can...

Thanks for the info KF, pretty interesting. I wonder what class my legacy would be?

I have been talking to a registered engineer (he's not interested lol) but he's pointed me in the direction of cert engineers who may be interested (or more enthusiastic) about showing me what I can and can't have re: bull bars, body lift etc. so hopefully I get somewhere with that soon. :ebiggrin:

On another note, I have got my car up and running and will load some photos up in the new year, it does better than I expected, except for the hi/low which the low isn't as low as I'd like but I wasn't surprised really as it's been discussed multiple times in threads on here.

Watch this space. :cool:

Congrats on the up & runningness, LO :biggrin:.

The adequacy or otherwise of the 1.196:1 LR appears to be dependent as much on which motor it is behind as the intended/actual use. Personally, while I would like it to be maybe 1.25:1, because I have the EJ-253, and don't want to do anything extraordinary in my Forester, it is adequate for my uses. Just glad to have it at all!

Look forward to more photos ... :iconwink:

Sweet, sounds like a plan. More info on bars etc would be great.

Yeah, having done a few short tracks over Christmas my only complaints with the car are the crap reduction gear and poor wheel travel with the rsb attached.

The adequacy or otherwise of the 1.196:1 LR appears to be dependent as much on which motor it is behind as the intended/actual use. Personally, while I would like it to be maybe 1.25:1, because I have the EJ-253, and don't want to do anything extraordinary in my Forester, it is adequate for my uses. Just glad to have it at all!

You should just fit a 1,447:1 and voilà !

If you ever remove the gearbox, the 1.447:1 LR is a straight swap & will make a huge difference! :biggrin:

Glad to see its getting some TLC :monkeydance:

Bad news first....

I rolled my Multibaru.
Doing some slow downhill technical stuff, got a tyre snagged on a tree root aaand UH-OH rolly polly down the hill, not too bad though only a 3/4 roll, enuogh to bend the chassis rails in the front (grumbles under breath about structural integrity)

Good news is..

I'm gonna turn the bloody thing into a buggy. Screw it. I might even try to get it certified road legal, why the hell not.

I've got quite a few cool photo's which i have yet to share but do pop in every now and the and check it out. I'm definitly not done playing with subarus, not by a long shot.

Thats a bugger! :shake:

I'm guessing the chassis rails you mean are right at the front? Its part of the crush zone, one of the reasons Subarus are so good at protecting occupants in a crash. Still annoying you have to repair it though

Damn, must have been a steep hill to roll a Sub on! Sorry to hear man, I loved the look of your OB.
Still, buggy is a pretty cool idea...

Back