100% lock centre dif

Yes this can be done to the 5MT. That's the centre diff I was running before I switched to the DCCD.

Gearbox side linkages are EA, car side are EJ so you need to cut and weld the linkages.
Tailshaft is about 65mm shorter, so you need to have a custom tailshaft made up. This isn't cheap. It took me a long time to find someone who would make one out of second hand parts. Most shops here will only build a complete new shaft.

That centre diff does lock well, it's basically a big dog gear so you get true 50/50. However, as I found out, putting too much power through it can destroy it pretty quickly. The diff locks, but the centre diff carrier holding it spins in the housing and gets chewed out.

My conclusion after spending all that money for the EA locking centre. Get a DCCD: have all stock parts and a stronger centre diff. Theoretically I could have bought another EA locking centre, but if the previous owner locked it on the tarmac or whatever it could be worn out too. Although I have a H6 so maybe a little baby 2.0 NA wouldn't have enough power to kill one of these diffs ;)

Not only that the RX type diff only comes in a 3.7 or 3.9 ratio, unless you get the pinion cut and welded. Again... DCCD better and easier.

Last edited:
Back