Victorian Bushfires

outasight

Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
Manual 5 speed
We here in Victoria, Australia are having our worst ever bushfires and they are far from over. Literally 100's of homes ( over 600 so far ), over 60 confirmed deaths so far, so many areas we all go too burnt out including at least 3 or 4 towns completely destroyed.:sad:

I daresay Beigewagon is out there fighting them, a few are not far from his home town. All the best mate - I hope you are well.

Folks it really is totally incomprehendable how much devastation has occured. As you may tell I am shellshocked just watching the reports.

This is also due to coming off our highest ever heatwave and yesterday was Melbourne's highest ever temperature & an all time Victorian record was also set.

I've been watching this on the news, I hope all of our members are out of harms way, I've been a bit worried. Hope beigewagon is staying safe and a BIG :bananatoast: to him for getting out there!!! So what were the record temps.???

Melbourne's temperature Saturday reached 46.4c where the previous record was 45.6c in Jan 1939 when there were perhaps our 3rd worst fires on record.
Avalon, a Suburb between Melbourne & Geelong recorded 47.9c Saturday beating the old statewide record of 47.2c also in Jan 1939.

The heatwave was 3 consecutive days of over 43c

What can I say.... my heart goes out to all the people affected by the fires (330,000ha, 750+ homes, 131 deaths) :cry: :cry:

The most disturbing part though, is that some of these fires were deliberately lit, by some totally :censored: up individuals.:eviltoyou: :eviltoyou:

I daresay Beigewagon is out there fighting them, a few are not far from his home town. All the best mate - I hope you are well.

I too hope all is ok with beigewagon aswell as any other members that are in & around the Melbourne area where the fires are.

So what were the record temps.???

A quick conversion would put that record of 47.9c to 118.22f with the 3x days of 43c to 109.4f

Regards
Mr Turbo

Melbourne's temperature Saturday reached 46.4c where the previous record was 45.6c in Jan 1939 when there were perhaps our 3rd worst fires on record.
Avalon, a Suburb between Melbourne & Geelong recorded 47.9c Saturday beating the old statewide record of 47.2c also in Jan 1939.

The heatwave was 3 consecutive days of over 43c

Whoops - actually Hopetoun in the Wimmera recorded an official 48.8c on Saturday - now holding the record in Victoria.
A lot of older records were discarded as innacurate due to dodgy methods.
They now must be measured in a Stevenson Screen - whatever that is!(I think its a shade/ventilation box) facing a certain direction.

A great thread is over on Weatherzone forum on records etc.

Whoops - actually Hopetoun in the Wimmera recorded an official 48.8c on Saturday - now holding the record in Victoria.

48.8c=just a bit shy of 120deg f.:surprised: I can't even imagine.

The news keeps popping up on my e-mail account when I log in, I keep seeing the death toll rising.:sad: My heart goes out to all effected by these horrible fires. And now to see that some may have been deliberately set!:furious::furious::furious:
Praying that beigewagon, all the other firefighters and everyone else in the area are staying safe.

Thanks guys,

Been out, having a rest before going out again.

Holocaust, is a word that comes to mind. I thought the fires 6 years ago were scorched earth, they were nothing. This is ten times worse

Will let you all know when sanity returns to here.

This is what sould happen to so and so's who deliberately these fires:mob:.

No pics, too busy, but I am sure you have seen more than enough.

Beigewagon.

Glad to here that you are ok Beigwagon.

In my eyes you are a legend & a true hero for being out there fighting thoses fires.

Take care & be safe.

Regards
Mr Turbo

Beigewagon, keep it up mate, and all the best. I'm sure most people couldn't even start to imagine what it is really like out there in conditions like what you guys have been through.

We've been flat out on fires out in the Budawangs (Batemans Bay), hope this weather holds like this up here for another week at least, everyone needs a break!

I've been in tears watching the coverage, the heartbreaking stories that are coming out, the twisted wreckage of burnt out cars, the heroism, the massive relief effort. Full kudos to you beigewagon, and Cheyne, Godspeed and safe home.

All I can say is that I am glad it is not even worse than it already is. While there are a number of bushfires in NSW- notably the one at Peats Ridge north of Sydney- at least we can send some NSW volunteers down to Vic to help out there. It is incredibly sad what has happened down there. I read the fire raced 20km in 2 minutes- think about that. No wonder no one was prepared. Surely that cannot be right- that is 600km/h.

The article in todays Sydney Daily Telegraph said that Brian Naylor's home was perfectly set up with a large clearing- yet even that was not enough. He had fire hoses ready- but did not even have time to man them. Tragic. I understand he was very popular in Melbourne.

Please do not forget though the people in North Queensland and the floods that have also taken lives. A big cheer for all the volunteer firefighters from not just Victoria, but from Tasmania, SA, NSW and elsewhere.

It happnes here in the states as well. If it is not lightning its arson. People get sick thrills sometimes.

i am dumbfounded and speechless by it all.

nipper

When I visited my "shrink" today for my quarterly checkup we discussed the Vic fires and she said that when she at Uni she read that Freud put it down to children who were bedwetters were more than likely to become arsonists as bedwetting was related to putting out fire he claimed.

Now whether this is true or not I don't know.

^ Gees, I didn't know you were shrinking - bugger! How small do you expect to be :biggrin:

(BTW - I was a bedwetter and that made a lot of things shrink as well!) :iconwink:

Some years ago I was fighting a deliberately lit bushfire when there was a change of wind. A mate yelled out- and that saved me. I have no time at all for arsonists. If they get a thrill out of watching fires and the destruction they cause- tie them to a tree in the way of a bushfire and see how much he enjoys it then. That is one less dickhead we have to worry about.

Back